NO Subaru Challenge for 2008?

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Meredith, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

also remember they don't have regularly sanctioned autox's here in Florida so the suby challenge is their only source of autox. i think that is a big reason alot of people come out to the one in Florida. up there you have autox every weekend it seems. so if subys wanted to do it they would already be there.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

for the atl crowd, you would have to call it "touge";)

3. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Ummmmm are you serious?
    http://www.buccaneerregion.org/
    http://www.erscc.com/
    http://www.cfrsolo2.com/

No offense but that's the lamest excuse ever.... I do realize FR region has cancelled their solo program but that's not stoping anybody from starting a FR Solo Program.... Meanwhile Bucaneer, Central Florida and Equipe Rapide SSC put on regular autoxs in Florida... also the local PCA does events as well....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  4. Meredith

Meredith Banned

If anybody refers to autox with that word I will kick their a$$ :p

5. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

so meredith, is there a touge run this weekend at six flags parking lot?

6. schneid

schneid Member

no, thats next weekend.

this weekend is the ghymkhana

7. WJM

WJM Banned

WHAT?!

Yeah, seriously.

When I used to drive to Orlando to see Ashley every other weekend there was ALWAYS an autox going on. I never went cuz I wanted to spend time with Ash....however, I went to one in DeLand in early 2007 at the airport and was top 5 in pax with my RS in DSP. IIRC I was also in the top 5 in raw times.

8. jt money

not that im looking to autox but i haven't seen or heard of one down here yet. im on a few forums here in Florida and haven't even heard talk about one. this was not an excuse just my 2 cents.

9. Meredith

Meredith Banned

so brett, how long do you want to earn my deepest scorn for?

10. Meredith

Meredith Banned

You do realize that you need to go a local SCCA website to get info on the solo events in your local community?

S2k atlanta doesn't know about local evnets until Brian, Walter or myself post up.... And until we had some regulars in WRXatlanta it was pretty much Brian, Patrick and myself posting up about events....

11. WJM

WJM Banned

Forums usually dont talk about sanctioned events. Its rare that I see any type of sanctioned event that makes sense posted on any forum.

12. jt money

you do know that they dont have scca events in my local community. have a looksy
    http://www.floridaregionscca.com/calendar.htm

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:slap:

14. WJM

WJM Banned

15. Meredith

Meredith Banned

16. penelope

penelope Member

Eh, don't stress over it, Meredith. Up here, if it's not within 30 minutes, there "aren't any autocrosses around." I'm dead serious.

So, obviously, I'm a very sick individual for driving to Atlanta for a local event. :rofl:

17. rankink

rankink New Member

Florida autocrosses

Here you go as you obviously have not looked very hard at all. Being centrally located in Orlando means you can attend most of the sites with considerably less driving time than others.

http://www.goldcoastregion.org/autocross.php
    http://www.buccaneerregion.org/
    http://www.erscc.com/
    http://www.cfrsolo2.com/
    http://www.dixiescca.com/dixiehome.htm
    http://www.gulfcoastautocrossers.com/
    http://www.sunriders.com/
    http://www.martinsportscarclub.com/2EventSchedule.asp
    http://www.evscc.com/

18. rankink

rankink New Member

If you are talking about SCCA autocross events or similar type events than you are just not looking at the right forums.

19. WJM

WJM Banned

Exactly my point. ;)

wait, you are here?! We're doomed. You'd be the 4th member from NASIOC SE thats on here. :wavey:

NOT going there...:rofl:

20. jt money

i don't give a shit about autox. never have. don't even know why i posted in here except to say its a shame the challenge got canceled. now go bother someone else will and mere.

21. rankink

rankink New Member

:) I lurk a lot, but I guess the cat is out of the bag now.

22. rankink

rankink New Member

Well, they were calling you on your incorrect statement.

23. jt money

i know and i retract it.

24. WJM

WJM Banned

Indeed it is Mr. I'm really fast.

25. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

have YOU signed up for the Subaru Challenge yet?

:p

26. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Meredith, please stop saying "Negative Nelly." Thank you.

Other than the above useful comment, I only have to offer that I loved the Subie challenge. There must be a way we could voice this fact as a community (as opposed to meredith being the sole voice. However, thank you Meredith). Seems like it would be more effective than bitching about who is most supportive of WRXATL. It was said that we composed about 2/3 of the field last year. That could be worth something. Subaru likes to keep their owners happy, right?

27. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Meredith's point is quite valid, and while WRXatlanta composed about 1/2 of the field at the Atlanta event, the reality is that this isn't enough to be a driving force to have a WRXatlanta based Subaru Challenge event, especially given that it took quite a considerable amount of effort by the eThugs in order to get ~50 members from this forum to sign up. Also, the time has past for organizing an event for 2008, giving the issue of available venues. Subaru put down a considerable amount of money, and planned months in advance for last year's event to happen.

I think that the main issue is that Subaru doesn't see how they can justify the costs associated with running these events, or find a way to integrate them into their business model. It did take Subaru a good bit of cash and planning to make last year's event happen. It takes a lot of effort to run these events.

28. Deke

Deke Active Member

It's all part of there overall goal of becoming just like very other boring car manufacturer out there...

Good for overall business, yes. Good for a cultish fan base, hell no.

29. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

And the cultish fan base is a big aspect of what Subaru has going for it right now.

Don't forget the timing of the Subaru Challenge last year. The weekend before Thanksgiving is the wrong time for an event like this.

30. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Last time I check this is a board to express your opinons..... By all means if you would like to volunteer to run a Subaru Challenge be my guest... I don't think most of you realize how much work AR SCCA and SOA puts into running these events or any event for that matter. We don't simply show up and throw down cones... and having a snide remark thrown my way makes me feel as if I don't want to help put one on this year....

31. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Oh don't be such a negative nelly. :keke:

I was only expressing my distaste for a phrase you used multiple times (and only for the sake of humor, at that). I said nothing negative about anything you did. Quite the contrary. I was asking if there was a way to get the rest of us behind you and if it would have an effect. BrianGT kindly answered my question.

Chill out, Meredith. I did nothing to attack your efforts.

32. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

No worries, she just took your statement towards her efforts, not towards the use of the words "negative nelly". She works damn hard to run the Solo Atlanta events this year as the operating steward for events, and knows exactly what it takes to run events.

As for a solution to have a Subaru Challenge... The best idea IMO would be to contact the SE Subaru communities (especially the Florida guys), and try to work together to make an event. With a collective effort it might be possible. As for venue, the best place IMO would be to try to work with Dixie Region down south and have it at South Georgia Motorsports Park (south down in Adel), as there should be much fewer scheduling issues there, and you should be able to easier convince the Florida guys to make the trip if it in south GA.

If anyone Administrators are interested in this and want to take charge of the WRXatlanta side of the effort, let me know and I can pass on some contact info from other regions. It will take a collective effort from you guys to make it happen. I would do it, but we don't have a Subaru to autoX more (it is almost back to stock :), and I am also beyond swamped at work with my new job.

33. rankink

rankink New Member

I think that would be a good idea and venue, and us Fl guys would agree to it. :)

OK, good. I thought you did not like me anymore or something since I never get IM's form you anymore. :p

34. WJM

WJM Banned

Depending on how my job situation goes, I would be all for creating one big blast of a SUBARU challenge. Its close enough that we could get maybe 25 WRXatl members, maybe 10~15 from nasioc (unless hardcore people like karen show up, add another 5~10) and then we factor in the usuals and the FL peoples. We might could get 100~125 entrants.

It wouldnt be a 'bling' as the past SC's with all the tents and freebies, but hey, it would beall about subarus and their owners getting out to have some fun.

35. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Sorry those comments rub me the wrong way... again the internet is hard to hear people tone some time :)

If you guys are serious I'd suggest hooking up with Will, Kolin, Bucaneer Region SCCA (Bill Cook), Steven Rankins to name a few.

Here is randy's response on Nasioc

36. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

most of you already travel anyways, you can always go to another region. or suck it up and wait till next year.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  37. WJM

WJM Banned

The season? Wha...............I'm not asking.

38. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Wha? :dunno

39. WJM

WJM Banned

exactly.

40. socrates42

socrates42 Member

that sucks

41. penelope

penelope Member

And going to another region solves the "problem" how? :confused:

42. WJM

WJM Banned

You missed the original post. I should have quoted it. something like 'the season starts in sept. so just wait until then.'

wtf?

43. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

What season? :dunno

44. WJM

WJM Banned

I have not figured that one out either.

45. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Touge Time Attack season? Tail of the Dragon time trial season? HDPE championship? Tacos Nachos Grande season? Pork Chop Sandwiches?

Seriously, if you guys want to arrange the event, now is the time to plan it if you want to have it before the end of the year.

46. penelope

penelope Member

BTW, has anyone else seen the posts by Matt Olinchark (wakstaz or something like that) in NASIOC's Motorsports forum's version of this thread? First, the guy constantly touts his "win" at the Mid-A Challenge, when a mistake by timing meant that they used the 2006 indices instead of 2007, which means he "won" by luck, since Francois Bru should have finished ahead of him. Secondly, both he and Francois still were outPAXed by a non-Subaru owner, Greg Olsen. I guess it just bothers me that even six months later, he's still badmouthing SOA for cancelling a trip that really wasn't his to begin with (not that I'm saying Greg should have won it, but still, Matt wasn't the best driver there that day, even with most of us in Topeka for the SCCA National Championships).

I hope that the cancellation of the Subaru Challenges this year isn't leading into a loss of contingency monies in the future too.

47. WJM

WJM Banned

It probably will. They are going mainstream. Meaning they will likely not back anything remotely motorsports related anymore. I would no be surprised to see them pull out of the WRC and do an even more limited JGTC program.

48. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

49. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

50. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Hmm a big Subaru Festival with autocrossing and stuff......Hmmmm