Ofiicial Gun/firearm thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by yerrow, Oct 25, 2012.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I couldnt wait for the XDS9mm so I went and got the shield. Never seen the Bersa...maybe I should look into one:)

2. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

The Bersa is pretty slick man. The trigger had some similar grit the shield, but at less then a 4lb pull and a really nice/communicative reset.

My only preference for the XDS is that i have 2 other XD firearms, and the trigger theoretically should be extremely similar. I also believe the XDS should be slightly more pocketable then the shield or Bersa.

Not a bad choice with any of them though. I would be more inclined for a shield if i could find them stocked more consistently without the markups ive seen applied.

3. integroid

So who was at Bullseye with a WRB STi hatch at lunch today?

I got 100 rounds through the Shield and 100 rounds through the M&P 45 at lunch. Honestly, they both feel about the same. I was more accurate with the 45 for a change. I like the way the shield feels better than the XDS 45. It is more controllable and doesnt hurt my hand with the raised little dots like the xds has. Trigger on both is the same but I have Apex kits for each sitting at home. Just wanted to get in a few rounds with the stock trigger to see how they felt.

Swine, I got lucky and got my shield for $409+ shipping and + FFL fees from a dealer is Wyoming. They had like 100 of them in stock and in a matter of a day sold out of all of them. I still have one pre-paid at Bullseye so I will probably sell that one when it comes in.

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I have a Sig Sauer P2022 .40 I can sell you cheap. Could even work a partial trade for some iPhone unhacking assistance if interested.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

try these, http://www.whittakerguns.com/ or https://plus.google.com/103360639064551808681/about?gl=us&hl=en

I've dealt with both of them on numerous occasions on the phone and in person, Whitaker's is fucking incredible, retail area is bigger than a CVS/Walgreens and packed floor to ceiling. I'm certain they will have whatever you need in stock when it comes to pistol, rifle or shotgun and especially optics.

6. integroid

I really doubt they have a shield in stock right now. Adventure Outdoors has 500 on order and still hasn't seen one. Bullseye gets about 1-2 a month. Some smaller dealers I have talked to said they have had them on order since release date and they still havent seen one. The only reason why the dealer I got mine from had it in stock was because they are like a Dick's and had a grand opening that S&W sponsored. The rep hand delivered the 100 Shields as a promise to the owner.

7. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

eddie let me know if you ever get that shield...might buy it for the wife

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

Just talked to Lockart @ Whitaker's, has one Shield in 40 cal for $369.00 left plus $25.00 shipped to FFL

9. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

man all this .40 talk, everyone should just man up and go 10mm :p

j/k as i sit around pew pew'ing with little 9mm.

10. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I love 10mm. I've ordered 4 of them recently and every time they come in someone offers me more than what I paid for them so I end up selling them.

10mm is really fun to shoot but expensive.

11. crazyazn

Glad to hear that, a friend and I have been talking about checking out that round. Have any gun recommendations?

12. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Glock.

13. crazyazn

yeah i was erring towards that as it fit my budget, just haven't put any effort into trying one out.

14. integroid

That is a damn good price but it is a .40. I passed up 3 .40 cal Shields before I got my 9mm. I have never been a big fan of .40 cal.

15. slowwrx

Depends on what he is using it for.

Me personally I like my 10mm rounds inside a single stack magazine in a 1911.

I really like the 1911 platform for 10mm but 1911s aren't for everyone. If you don't like to clean and tinker then don't buy one.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

imagine the AF2011 in 10mm, shot a S&W 1086 a few years back and wholly shit what a devastating round. Can't justify the expense but damn...

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

You should give them a call for your next purchase, by far the best shop and never been on hold for more than five minutes.

18. crazyazn

I've grown up around 1911's so the labor doesn't phase me, guess I'll try finding sometime to try out both one day. It's pretty low priority since I want it for a fun in the woods round, and 5.7x28 is getting to be a pain to acquire.

19. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

where does everyone buy there ammo? online? brick and mortar? wally world?

20. crazyazn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; ThunderBolt Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I buy by case loads so for me it works out better online.

I usually bounce between sgammo.com dirt cheap and recently I bought from palmetto state armory.

21. integroid

My Pistol ammo I just do a weekly round at Wal Mart close to me. If I see the AE 100 packs of 9MM or .45, I usually buy all they have. For .223/556 ammo I just search online when I start running below a few thousand. Last batch I bought was from Cabella's. They had PMC Brass for $5.99 shipped per box of 20.

22. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

same here. Anytime I'm in walmart, I swing by and also check for 9mm & .45 white box (Winchester)
    Joe

23. I know I'm chiming in late here, but I've got to speak about the shotgun as a best home defense option. I don't buy it.
    I've pretty much been convinced that the shotgun is a bad choice for home defense.

I've been a participant in many discussions about them and this summary is pretty accurate on why I think shotguns are less desirable than a handgun or EBR (Evil Black Rifle).

A Look at the Defensive Shotgun; its Disadvantages, its Uses, and How We Make Them Work

Personally, I have a 9mm as a CCW because of the smaller size to capacity over a .40 or .45. I did have a 380, but they always tend towards less capacity (8-9 rounds).

Also would like to point out that a gun that is difficult or cumbersome to carry is useless if you ever elect to carry nothing because of the inconvenience. If your .40 is too bulky to carry all the time, get a .380 pocket pistol to carry the other times because a gun sitting at home serves no purpose.

This video explains it better than I could:
    "Obligation of Carry" by Nutnfancy

24. integroid

I think a shotgun is a perfect home defense weapon for most people. They are easy to use, you dont really have to be precise with it to be deadly, and you dont really have to worry about hitting your neighbor. Is it perfect for everyone, probably not....but for my wife or most people that dont know much about guns,most likely so.

25. That's cool. I'm just sharing some alternate opinions.
    The reasons you state are actually touched upon in that article.
    Personally, I don't recommend a shotgun for anyone under 160lbs as the recoil can be disorienting - especially with a novice shooter who hasn't practiced with one.
    Shotguns can work fine as long as someone has shot one before and has been shown the ropes on how it works, how to hold it, etc...

No one wants this for their significant other:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKde36mbpiI

Also, get a light mounted on there! a home defense weapon is open to accidents if you don't have some type of illumination on what you are shooting at.

26. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

In theory, that applies to anything and everything we do in life. In this case, shotgun and every gun out there.

27. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

this works for home defense in my opinion:
    [​IMG]
    small, compact, 3 shots

as far as a light, if you don't have a gun, get one of these:
    http://coolmaterial.com/gear/baseball-bat-flashlight/

I'm not a fan of having a light attached to the weapon...then your light source is attached to your weapon and you can't look around a room w/o pointing your weapon in that direction...that's just me though.

Joe

28. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Tl-1 on the pt-92
    [​IMG]

29. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ I have that same exact pistol... how do you like the Tl-1?

30. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Great light and fairly priced, i like it.

31. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Need opinions... I'm looking to get another assault rifle... I sold my AR-15 a few years back and regret it. I want to go the .308 route this time. I really like the AR-10, but I'm open to suggestions. Budget will not be great... Trying to keep it around $900...

32. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Well pretty much no one likes this rifle because its not an AR is doesnt look all that great, but i will shoot circles around any other semi auto .308 sub $3k.

FN FNAR. Sub MOA garuntee from the factory, piston driven, great ergonomics and awesome trigger. You can get them new for just shy of $1k. It is NOT a battle rifle, complete take down requires tools and time. The trade off is one of the softest, nicest, most accurate semi auto .308's you can buy this side of $$texas$$.
    [​IMG]

Going to go out on a limb and guess you dont really care how it shoots and/or just want something you can modify so it looks neat. In which case build your next closest and cheapest AR .308. DPMS makes an affordbale flat top AR .308 for about $100 less.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  33. I like both of those. They are both built for a different purpose.
    I've always been a fan of the "not an AR" camp though... that being said I am looking for an AR in 5.56 in the next few months... Keep the info coming!
    And for the ultimate "not an AR" rifle...
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/03/11/hands-on-with-the-beretta-arx-160/
    Supposed to be out in late 2013 or early 2014 for civilians... I can dream, right?

34. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

$$baretta$$

35. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Went trap shooting a couple of weeks by Camp Creek. Goddamn are their shotguns expensive. 3-4k average for their beautifully built double barreled shotguns.

36. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I like both of those.... would probably lean towards the AR looking one...

37. integroid

You better start buying parts!

38. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Agreed... two massacres in one week... Bans are coming... Looks like I need to get my rifle soon.

39. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

because...why the fuck not:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  40. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

41. Jake

Jake Active Member

[​IMG]
    finally got all three. will be trading in the Kel-tec towards an XD-S in a little bit, and will be looking for a full size after that. and the modding of the AR is far from over.

42. integroid

I bought a complete polymer lower today. The guy had 50 of them yesterday and today he has 0 left. I prepaid for mine yesterday so he held it for me. You guys thinking about building any sort of AR better start buying what you can before our Comrade President bans everything. Including high capacity mags.

43. Jake

Jake Active Member

I've been to the local distributor the last two days and to cabelas, both places were mad-houses. Minimum 1.5hr wait just to talk to a salesperson and chances were 90-100% they were out of the gun you wanted to buy at either place anyways. That's why I just bought a used shotgun. They were out of almost every new shotgun they stocked. All cabelas had were a shit ton of hunting rifles really, half their display cases were empty. The news, politics and holidays are a volatile mixture for gun sales. Don't go to a store thinking you'll find the gun you want, either order it now (for a 3-6month wait), or buy something else. I will say ammo was cheap as hell at cabelas and GTDistributors, but scarce as fuck for anything over 50rd cases.

44. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

For mom, GP 100 .357 "Wiley Clapp" edition.
    Its a 3" barrel with a fiber front site and novak rear. I can easily convert to night sites is my mom wants. I personally love the matte grey finish, the grips are fantastic, and the whole thing really handles nicely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

45. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Very nice. I love my SP 101. Ruger make a damn fine revolver.

46. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

all i picture there is the pistol from Roger Rabbit

[​IMG]

47. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

[​IMG]

Still lacking bcg but pretty stoked.

48. slowwrx

If anyone is considering a revolver, may I suggest you consider a Colt Python. Its one of the best revolvers ever made and can still be picked up for a reasonable amount of money 500-1000.

49. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

wow the gun nuts are out in force. I drove by adventure outdoors and there wasn't a single parking space open. You think they were either about to ban guns or the end of the world was near...

50. crazyazn

indeed, amazing how ar's practically flew off shelves over the weekend too, along with 'high capacity' mags.