Ofiicial Gun/firearm thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by yerrow, Oct 25, 2012.

1. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

That's pretty sweet. My kit for the XD9 sub-compact didn't come with the holsters.
    But it did come with a 16 round magazine with a grip extension.
    What's the difference between the new XDMs and the previous gen XDs?

2. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

XDM competition it looks like, neat.

3. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Ordered.:yeah: Sold my xd9 and pt92. Time for more .22lr and psssp psssp(and glock as well).

Savage MKII FVSR, w/threaded barrel.

[​IMG]

Affordable .22lr Scope, 3-9 range or in that area, preferance on value. Any suggestions?

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

That is an awesome rifle for a supressor host...So tempted to buy one.

Cherokee has a .22 supressor on sale for $179. Mine should be out of jail in the next few weeks

5. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Where is this Cherokee you speak of, and what brand? I am particularly looking for a hunter town arms gauridan.

6. integroid

7. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

With a renewed assault rifle ban, will you still be able to buy thinks like barrels or complete upper receivers?

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

It's just a regular XDM, not the competition model. (No lightened slide, etc)

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

Theoretically you should be able to buy everything but lowers. And magazines over 10rds with this new 'order'. But that's all it is at this point, all that crap was really vague....

10. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Supper tempted to take them up on the YHM wraith, but i have a line on a Huntertown Arms Guardian micro for the same price thats smaller and lighter, which is important to me bc the can is going to live on the rifle and on my 1911-22.

11. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

woah, that's awesome. I knew they suppressed, but I didn't know it was to this magnitude. I wonder if he's using subsonic ammo?? I thought you only got 10-20% reduction in sound from suppressors

[youtube]aj37FFnVBG4[/youtube]

12. integroid

I am sure he is using subsonic. On 22, it is Hollywood quiet with a supressor.

13. integroid

It is lighter because it uses aluminum for the baffles which I would not recommend for a 22 suppressor. The Huntertown retails for $199....the YHM retails for $349. The YHM uses Stainless Steel baffles. I would go with the YHM.

14. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

The huntertown is also shorter smaller dim's, which i thought would be pretty important for pistol use.

The huntertown is completely user serviceable with a simple cresent wrench, uses an aluminum end cap in case of baffle strikes, end cap can be replaced since the housing is registered and not the internals.

Why steel over aluminum? Whats the difference? The only explanation i found was "easier" cleaning, though not sure why that would matter...how hard could it be? I also appreciate the lower weight of the aluminum.

The huntertown is also approved for .22wmr, 5.7, and .17hmr. And i would be getting it for $180 shipped(but a $50 transfer fee on top)
    http://www.huntertownarms.com/g22micro.php

You have my attention. The Huntertown just seems easy enough to unscrew an endcap, clean the baffles with solvent, reinstall and enjoy.

Found this on another forum about the YHM
    First off, the can is way too big around. 1"OD suppressors is all that’s needed for 40dB reduction, multiple companies have proven that. Second of all, they rate it for full auto, but leave no provision for cleaning which is stupid.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Would subsonics cycle a 10/22?

If you think thats quiet, you should here it on a bolt .22 like what i just bought. Most of the sound you hear on a semi .22lr that is canned is the action. :)

16. integroid

Subsonics cycle fine in my 10/22.

From what I understand, aluminum is much harder to clean with dirty rimfire because you cannot use a lot of the better solvents on it. Is the YHM not serviceable? I thought they came apart just like all the 22 cans? You will be paying the $50 transfer fee and the $200 tax stamp. Why not just get this from someone that is somewhat local? No transfer fee.

http://www.quietriotfirearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HA22SS

17. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

I'm not sure how other suppressor come apart, this will be my first and the hunter town product grabbed my eye for seemingly offering a simple, effective, and affordable product with a good company backing it.

So right now I'm seeing aluminum>steel for weight alone(not to mention price). So far the only draw back is having a planned cleaning methods instead of using whatever I want and not worrying about it. Is that all? I'm just not seeing the draw back. Does it take a day to clean aluminum baffles with a brush or something?

Thanks for the link man, any affiliation or just some guys you know of? I will most likely be ordering through them, good prices and local ftw.

18. integroid

They post a lot on ODT in the Class III section. 22LR tends to be really dirty rounds plus firing off a few hundred rounds at a time is pretty easily done. Therefore the baffles tend to get a bunch of residue that a brush alone cant clean off. Spend an hour to clean it with a brush or 10 minutes with a dip. You will probably want to clean it after each use.

But seriously, those price from Cherokee are amazing....especially for the TiRant suppressors.

19. b reel

b reel Active Member

use SS k-baffles, they'll last longer

20. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

How do baffles wear out?

21. b reel

b reel Active Member

heat and the powder erosion

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

amazing how easy to make with even a hobbyist lathe

23. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Hypothetical for you, what if one were to coat those aluminum baffeles in a teflon type material, or a ceramic material similar to what they coat pistons surfaces with. Hell even Cerakote. Win-win?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  24. integroid

If you are going to go through all that trouble, why not just get a SS baffle suppressor and call it a day? I mean, I sent you a link to one that is $179 and $279.

25. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Eddie, just hypothetical at this point. Not trying to go against the grain.

You probably know better, but has anyone tried performance coatings on these baffles to help extend life and ease of cleaning. How many high performance, high stress, high heat aluminum products out there? Alot. Cooking items and engine components to name a big couple.

From what im reading, there is life expectancy on all suppressors regardless of materials. Performance coatings can be cheap and effective means of improving performance and life expectancy for minimal cost for all materials.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  26. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

from an engineering standpoint, I would have to imagine if there were any cost effective ways of prolonging the life, they would've already been thought of and applied at this point. My guess is, the ROI just isn't worth it on these more inexpensive suppressors.

That said, I would think a teflon coating of some sort would work best. It has great heat resistant properties, minimal losses in friction and easy to clean.

27. b reel

b reel Active Member

Hypothetical? Jesus really? The ONLY reason AL is used for K-baffles is because the ease of machining and it's cheap. TI will gall and SS will tool harden when being machined hence the added expense on top of the cost of the billet.

28. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

I was talking about applying a coating to all materials, not just AL.

29. integroid

I dont see a point in coating SS. From what I have read, it takes no time to clean those off vs the aluminum baffles.

30. b reel

b reel Active Member

the shit will burn off or just rub off after a couple of cleanings. got to remember the material is getting an extremely hot acidic high pressure blast from each round, doubt there is much that can be done about that. Main reason why you should clean after use.

31. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Heat and Powder burn is what eats baffles(including SS). Coated baffles with heat deflective property would mimize both.

Probably nothing durable enough to be worth it though. Cant even keep ceramic on exhaust tubing with nothing more then simple heating and cooling.

Edit- ^ yeah brian i guess that summs it up.

32. b reel

b reel Active Member

On another note,

IF YOU HAVE A JAM, eject the magazine first. Had an idiot at the range yesterday not do this and nearly blew his head off.

33. b reel

b reel Active Member

Maybe Inconel

34. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Got the below from Huntertown. Link sums up. Yeah SS is the way to go for careless operation and cleaning.

Also to note, the YHM Wraith only has a SS blast baffle, the rest of the baffles are aluminum.

Thank you for your interest in our Guardian 22. The are several differences between the stainless steel and aluminum cores. The stainless steel baffles are more durable but as long as you are using and servicing your suppressor appropriately the aluminum will last. There is also a difference in weights - the Guardian 22 with stainless weighs 6.5 ounces and the Guardian 22 in aluminum weighs 4 ounces. Some people state that the stainless steel core is easier to clean. You can view the cleaning manual for the Guardian 22 at www.huntertownarms.com/guardian22usermanual.php.
    If I can answer anything else,

35. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Sold my p238 a lot quicker then I was hoping. Sold the p238 to commit to an all 9mm handgun line up. I wanted to wait for the xds9. In the end just decided it was going to be to portly for pocket carry. Almost bought a db9 knowing it wasn't going to be a great shooter. But to much real bad juju kept popping up on reviews. Decided on the cm/pm9 series. A pm9 popped up for sale with Mepro night sights that I couldn't pass up.

Tacti kick!
    [​IMG]

But for real
    [​IMG]

Basically same dims and weight as my p238, and shoots 9 instead of .380.

Going to run some ammo through it soon, hopefully it's a reliable one.

36. Jake

Jake Active Member

picked up my XDM today, ready to go shoot the thing

37. Is putting your bullets in the magazine backward a "thing" now? Fads... :squint:

38. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

You mean thats not how it goes?

39. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Its an HK thing. They released an advertisement a few years back and the top round in the mag was backwards. Like typical internet/forum users, they saw this and ran with it like retards with popsicles...

40. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yeah its a running joke, most find it humurous. The intent of the pic was for the funnies, making fun of the tacti-tards who like to scatter random ammo around their gun so it looks cool in pictures. Its dumb.

41. darkenbui

darkenbui New Member

here is my addition....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  42. darkenbui

darkenbui New Member

She is my go to gun.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  43. integroid

Nice gun but I wouldnt suggest using an AR for your go to gun for home defense....unless you really dislike your neighbors.

44. darkenbui

darkenbui New Member

For up close and personal my Benelli Supernova Tactical.

45. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Just picked this up. .40 Glock 22 4th gen full size. I like it so far, any thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  46. integroid

It's a Grock....kind of like saying you own a Honda.....inexpensive and very dependable.

This was my 2nd handgun I ever owned...well a 2nd gen version of it.

47. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

You like it that is what matters.

I think you have your ammunition loaded in that magazine the wrong way.

48. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Hallow point bullets.

And inexpensive... the gen 4 is, I would say above average price range. It was short of 600 by few pennies. Not sure how much everyone spends on their handgun, but 600 is plenty for me.

49. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

That's your typical price for a brand new Glock.

Here's my USP 9mm Compact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got rid of the Hogue grip because I ruined it after trying to take it off.
    Currently sitting on 20 rounds of Winchester hollow points.