OpenECU tools

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by moose, Aug 13, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Well, I wounded my elbow doing some woodworking this morning, so I'm not going to be able to do much hands-on work today. Therefore, if anybody's interested in checking out the OpenECU stuff I'd be happy to post some pointers on what to download, where to get some maps to look at, and how to config the stuff so you can play with it on your PC. Let me know if there's any interest. :)

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Well, I'll go ahead and post some info so you can at least check out the software even if you won't be using it actively. :)

There are a couple of options for writing/reading the ECU. EcuExplorer is written by the same guy who did the TARI logger, and flashes WRXs. EcuFlash is developed by the guy who started the OpenECU group and handles various Subies and Mitsubishis. You can download EcuFlash here:
    http://openecu.org/downloads/ecuflash_setup128.rar

Note that EcuFlash also has map editing built in. I've played with both it and Enginuity, and prefer the latter. However, should you want to look at maps in EcuFlash, you will need to create an XML definition file so that it knows where to look for the values in the hex/bin file from the ECU. The easiest way to do this is using XMLWrite, which you can find packaged with yet another editing tool here:
    http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/uploads/Knowledge/ecuEdit1_2_0_72b_with_xmlwrite_v6.zip

In order to build the XML def you will need to do the following:
    Extract XMLWrite to a folder. Put hex/bin file from ECU (or one you downloaded) in said folder, and name it with the proper ID. You can view the ID in EcuFlash under 'Rom ID'. My 2005 WRX has the Rom ID A4TF800F. Run XMLwrite and key in this ID, with the option 4 to build XML for EcuFlash. Place the generated XML file (<ID>.XML) in the appropriate folder (subaru/wrx) under rommetadata in the EcuFlash folder. Now you should be able to open up the hex/bin and view the map contents.

EDIT: While we were working on Ming's car today I realized I neglected one step here if you want to be able to flash with EcuFlash. The XML definition file (in my case A4TF800F.XML) needs to have a tag completed to show which flash method is to be used (wrx02, wrx04 etc). Find the empty <flashmethod></flashmethod> element and stick either wrx02 (for 02/03) or wrx04 (04/05) in there like so: <flashmethod>wrx04</flashmethod>. This tells EcuFlash how to write the file to the ECU.

Personally, though, I prefer the Enginuity interface. It can be downloaded from http://www.enginuity.org/ (you will probably need to register), and comes with XML definitions ready to go for most ECUs. Note that Enginuity requires the Java runtime 1.5 to function; you can download it from java.sun.com if you do not have it already. After installing Enginuity you just click on Enginuity.jar in the folder to run the program. When you first run it you'll notice a lot of stuff is greyed out on the left; click on View->User Level->Highest to make them all available for editing.

If you want some bin/hex files to play with, you can register on http://www.osecuroms.org/ and download a variety of maps people in the OpenECU project have developed.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sounds cool and all but also sounds like a recipe for diaster if you aren't careful.

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Most definitely! The tools are quite good and the people I know who use them have had zero issues with reliably flashing and all that, but obviously these tools also provide you with more than enough rope to hang yourself. :) Just like any other user tuning, you've gotta know what you're doing before you actually flash your car!

That said, it doesn't hurt to download the tools and looking at various maps to start learning what goes on inside your car's brain.

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah I want to do that to mine. I want to just look at SS's maps and fully understand the aesthetics of what my car is doing. Then maybe I will be able to understand what my car is doing when it acts abnormal and get my own answers. That'll result me in not aggravating SS (I do call and pester him a lot :keke:). Bet he can't wait for that day....lol

6. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Nice find.

It answered a lot of my questions about injector latency/scaling and maf scaling.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

+stickied

This is definately worth everyone's time :D

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yep a very good read. I'm gonna take a wack at using this stuff.

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Widebands and logging... For those not clear on what a wideband is, it is an oxygen (air/fuel ratio) sensor that is capable of precise measurements from very rich to very lean conditions. The stock oxygen/o2 sensors are narrowband, and other than verifying that you're at 14.7:1 they get increasingly inaccurate as you move away from there. They are NOT sufficient for tuning.

To date, the only openecu related logger that I am aware of which supports wideband o2 is ecuEdit. Unfortunately it's not freeware, though quite inexpensive at $50 for the logger. The widebands supported by this package are the Innovate ones (LM-1 and LC-1) which while nice aren't the cheapest on the market.

There is a rather attractive alternative though. Zeitronix makes a wideband kit that at $279 provides the sensor and controller. Out of the box it connects to a PC and supports RPM input, giving you a/f ratio and RPM, which can be sufficient to join up a log to an ecuExplorer or similar log. You can also add an EGT sensor kit as well as a boost sensor kit; this'll allow you to log the most relevant pieces standalone. This is the option I am going with.

EDIT: with recent developments in Enginuity to support LC-1 I've decided to hold off on the Zeitronix until I see the results from that effort. :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  11. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Just flashed the first map this evening. Car runs great though target boost is still not where it needs to be by any means. (Starting a separate thread about that one.)

Also, when flashing with the OpenECU tools, it will actually check the ECU to see which blocks have actually changed (there's like a dozen ones) and only re-write those. Makes a re-flash for a modified value/table really quick and probably saves wear and tear as well!

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I bought a kit from www.wbo2.com and built my own wideband. It cost about 200 US for everything. The one I built has additional inputs for rpm and egt.

The Zeitronix one was not available at the time or I probably would have gone with that one.

A while back when I still had the UTEC I wrote an app for logging called autologger. I had the tech-edge integration just about done but then I sold my UTEC so I never finished it. I may take a stab at adding the support into ecuExplorer.

13. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

how long does it take during each flash?? compare to AP map switch? when you datalog, can it datalog with your wideband?? (like StreetTuner or ecutek deltadash)

14. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

The first flash took maybe 7-8 minutes or so. When making delta changes it only reflashes the affected block(s) so can be done in < 30 seconds.

Data logging and wideband I covered a few posts above.

15. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

16. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I just read a lot on the enginuity and openecu forums. Nice guide, thanks for posting that!

17. lawman246

lawman246 New Member

Can anyone suggest a ecu upgrade that will work with a garrett turbo with 550 injectors,cams and bigger topmount?

18. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

You can post on openecu.org or enginuity.org and ask; chances are nobody has one ready to go but they can provide you with the tools and information if you want to develop a map on your own. Also, let's keep this thread for general info rather than particular cars/setups.

Here's some fun reading for everybody interested: Subaru's patent for ignition timing control:
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...d=PTXT&S1=5,038,736&OS=5,038,736&RS=5,038,736

19. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Update:
    Team Enginuity has a beta out that incorporates logging and 3d graph manipulation of tables. Donations have been made to purchase a LC1 wideband setup for the developer working on the logger so the wideband piece can be integrated into it. Other things it the works are the real time tuning component and flashing, making Enginuity a complete toolset for tuning. Pretty cool stuff. :)

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

21. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yeah, I'm holding off on ordering the Zeitronix until I see what comes out of the LC-1 integration. Having an all-in-one tuning station would be the best.

22. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Im waiting for you

23. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Well, the opportunity presented itself to invest in an LC-1 and LMA-3 from Innovate. I will start the install soon! Hopefully the LMA-3 inputs can also be integrated into the logging tool, as it provides accelerometer and optionally EGT data.

24. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

links to the LC1 and LMA3 please

25. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lma3.php

The LMA-3 has a built in 3 bar (44 psi) MAP sensor, accelerometer (2-axis), and a connector for a thermocouple probe thing. It also has RPM input for both tach signal and inductive clamp, and can read other 0-5v sensors if you have them. It daisychains with the LC1 and then to a logger or other Innovate product.

Edit: Also has fully configurable analog gauges in their logging tool, so if you have a CarPC you could make a pretty awesome gauge setup on it. :)

26. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Furthermore, you could use the 0-5v channels for other fun purposes. For instance, you could connect a post-intercooler temp sensor and measure the effects of water misting and other stuff.

27. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

that would be very helpful! I would think that would be more important than pre intercooled temps

28. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Quick note on the LC-1: it supports programmable analog outputs (two) and can thusly be made to drive an Autometer or similar narrowband gauge from a wideband signal. You just have to scale the output to 0-1v and voila, you have an inexpensive wideband gauge (paid $55 on ebay for a Cobalt).

29. STiBottom

STiBottom Member

Having trouble connecting to my ECU? When I go into Enginuity and ecuExplorer I go to the logger and try to connect to the ECU and nothing happens. I have not really had the time to mess with this alot since buying the cable from moose and I can't seem to do what he did on his laptop.
    Are there any drivers that I have to install to run the cable?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  30. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

get ecuflash - it has the drivers
    makesure you select the correct SSL port

31. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

What goixiz said, and figure out which com port the cable is using, then right-click in Ecuexplorer and click enable SSM.

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You don't have Ecutek do you?

33. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

When STibottom bought the cable from me we went out for a run and did some logging using the cable and my laptop... I think he has ecutek but it's not the locked/blocked version if he does.

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Oh you can log all day long. You just can't read/write the ECU. Trust me I've tried.

35. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I believe you, but the guy can't even get logging to work.

36. STiBottom

STiBottom Member

This is true and CoolRex's news sucks pretty hard core. Is there anyway to take the ecutec off of the ecu so I can load and flash my own maps?

37. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

The car does not have ecutek unless you got it since you bought it. I was able to read the ecu when I was helping the previous owner out.

38. STiBottom

STiBottom Member

Thats some awesome news. The previous owner had told me when I asked him if it had EM and he said "Uhhh I think ecutek" but thats not a big deal now. I will just need some help with a flash within a week or so when I finally get a new turbo.

39. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Just thought I would mention that most of the links in the beginning of this thread are no longer working.