Penn St and Joe Paterno

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cool_____, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

*ding*

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

If anything firing was out of hand. A suspension pending legal decision would be acceptable.

3. longfury

longfury Active Member

Here is a good question...

Who on the board of trustees knew about it? Could all the firings be to protect some of them?

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

So you are saying that if Paterno reported this to LE, the AD may have still lied when LE investigated, so Paterno should be forgiven for not doing his duty to report this to LE?

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The Grand Jury finds that portions of the testimony of Tim Curley and Gary Schultz are not credible.

FYI Curley is the AD.

6. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Just catching up here

I agree on the suspension pending investigation. I think the board of trustees had no choice after Paterno held his own press conference saying he would make the decisions, he effectively pushed their hand.

Board of Trustees ignorant to the situation? Doubt it. Hopefully the investigation will uncover some of this, and if they did know about it I hope they're held just as accountable.

Do I think the media spun this? Probably, but I don't really follow mainstream media. I listen to sports talk radio, so yeah I may be partially biased when i'm stating my opinion b/c I only hear this side of it, and the sides that I read online.

I'm not pissed that he didn't go directly to the police. I'm pissed he didn't do everything possible to stop this predator. Because he was so nonchalant about it, other children paid the price.

My point is, had Paterno stood up and done the morally correct thing, he could have potentially saved the innocence of multiple young boys. And you know, if he stood up and said something, the investigation turned up nothing (or just that one incident), then you move on knowing you did everything possible. What angers me is he didn't. He did nothing but report it to the AD and sweep it under the rug. Because of that (and many other factors), this predator raped and sodomized more and more young boys.

7. longfury

longfury Active Member

I am saying that reporting it to LE may have not changed anything. It is something we will never know.

Many people are implying that if Paterno had reported it to LE then it would have stopped right there and he would have been arrested years ago(the guy who did all this). That is a huge assumption to make that can't be verified and neither can it be verified that it would not have changed anything.

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

then all of your arguments are invalid. You don't have ALL the information. You have only what you want to read/believe.

9. 07Ltd#767

fyi - the board of trustees have requested that mccleary not be allowed to coach this weekend.

10. 07Ltd#767

as are yours. nobody has all of the information. But good try...not...

and, i'm stating my opinion, as i said.

go ahead, keep defending those that defend child molesters...nicad said it right

11. 07Ltd#767

exactly, we'll never know. but b/c he didn't, we do know one thing...more kids were raped

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

If the investigation turned up nothing, Paterno would have still lost his job for falsely accusing someone. Like I said before, he was fucked no matter what he did.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You are starting to see my point. I'm angered that more wasn't done. But to say he enabled it....come on you just admitted you been running your mouth without full knowledge and purely off of emotion.

I can say fairly accurate that even if Paterno reported it to LE, it would not have made much difference due to no evidence at the time. Only recent it would because the victims are older and are coming forward. I see and hear of it every day from my wife who works directly with this type of scenario.

14. Matt

apparently I've read more about it than you have. But you're right. No one has all the information. And more than likely, no one ever will.

and really? using...not...? What year is this, 1992?

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Really? You can 100% prove that his action cause more kids to get raped. Prove it.

If he would've contacted LE with zero proof this wouldn't have continued. Prove it.

16. Matt

he can't. His ACC blinders are on.

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

Logic and critical thinking are not allowed when dealing with children. You must react in an emotional manner and try and defend them against real and perceived threats.

Paterno reporting it to LE could have prevented more attacks, but as long as the AD and others were covering it up it would have been difficult to impossible for LE to do anything as Cool has been stating.

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

No, regardless of the results of the investigation, Paterno could not have lost his job for accusing someone, when it is his obligation to do so. If the School would have fired him, he could have sued the school for wrongful termination, and he would have 100% won.

The results of the investigation are irrelevant. If Paterno had reported to LE as he is obligated, he would have fulfilled his obligation as a Mandatory Reporter, and he would not be getting vilified in the press the way he currently is being.

If you report someone at your work of Sexual Harassment of another coworker, the company legally cannot retaliate against you for reporting the violation, whether it turns out to be true or not.

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

I am sorry. I am too cynical to believe that.

They could refuse to renew his contract saying something long the lines of they wanted to go a new direction in the future. There are ways to let someone go and make it look like it as for other reasons.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  20. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Not renewing him when his contract is up is completely different than firing him. My point still stands.

You are the one that keeps saying that if he went to LE, they could have fired him.

Paterno renewed his contract in 1995, and was under contract until 2015. Therefore, if he would have reported this to LE, the school could not have done anything to him until 2015.

21. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yes, but if they wanted him gone for the false accusation(or anything else) then not renewing the contract is a legal way to dump him.

22. Matt

No where does it state he must SPECIFICALLY report to a LEO.

23. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

boy, they really straightened sandusky out. He can't rape little boys anymore ON CAMPUS.

whew

24. longfury

longfury Active Member

That actually sounds like what the AD told Sandusky from what I have been hearing and reading.

25. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

no shit. it's what paterno told him.

26. Matt

I've not read/seen/heard it was Paterno who told him that. I did read that it was the AD.

last I checked Paterno wasn't ever the AD.

27. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Wiki doesn't state who he is required to report to. It is different from State to State. He may or may not have been required to report it to LE. But there are people here arguing that he could have been fired for reporting it to LE when that is plainly not true.

If he reported this to LE in 1996, when the accusation was presented to him, the school could not have done anything to him until 2015, That is all I am trying to say.

Possibly being fired for reporting is no excuse, that is the point I am trying to make.

28. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

In the state of PA, Mandatory Reporters are required to report to the School Administration only. He was not legally required to report to LE, though morally he should have. If he was to have reported to LE prior to reporting to the Admin, the School could have reprimanded him but not fired him. If he reported to the Administration and nothing was done, as is the case here, he then could have reported to LE, and the school would not have the right to reprimand him.

29. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

He didn't though, and I was stating that you "as a reasonable person" would have done more, as you said in that post. Therefore, he should have reported it to the proper places. Trying to find some reasonable ground here

30. Matt

...but he did report it to the proper places...

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Who in turn told him that the authorities were notified when in fact he was, unbeknownst to him, being lied to.

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I want state that I am thoroughly proud at how civilized this thread has been with the exception of a few redicoulous and non-contributing response from the same person. This has brought back really what WRXAtl used and should be like.

33. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Policy can state what he needs to do for his organization. Do you really honestly as an intelligent human being believe that this means he can bypass the legal system? Argument aside, that's a bold statement to believe otherwise

34. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Probably some kind of site traffic record for awhile too.

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm sure it is....lol. Thank you thank you.:wiggle:

36. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

(I state this on the football program perspective) Don't know too much about Penn State, but I do think all this shit happening was perfect timing for the school to have a reason to fire Paterno. I'm not saying he knew about the allegations, did know, didn't tell but knew, etc... I'm just saying this was a legit reason for the school to finally replace him as the football coach. I know he's been there for 40+ years, they named the library after him, etc... But I do think because of who he is too the school, he would've of been the head coach until he died. Now that all this stuff is happening, they got rid of him based on that. I think this was a VERY SMART MOVE to fire him.

37. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

To be honest I have little interest in punishing a someone that really didn't have the 'reasonable thought' to report this to the proper authorities. He may have a case for being a weak/not mentally straight individual.

Justin and Drew both have valid points whether or not they skipped forward to the "we know who here are child molesters" part. Can we not agree that he "should" have at least done something else besides reporting to someone other than law enforcement before we keep going into whether or not he is guilty of anything? Should have

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

He was retiring this year regardless.

39. longfury

longfury Active Member

In hindsight...yes, yes he should have also reported it to LE. I can agree to that. The eye witness that reported it to Paterno should have also reported it to LE. That would have carried more weight than him being told the report second hand.

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm not saying he shouldn't have. But to fire the dude was the original argument.

And as far as Justin calling me, Matt, and longfury child molesters...shows how much all that alcohol has fried his logical thinking.

41. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This. And what about the janitors who reported it to absolutely no one?

42. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

no need to beat around the bush. just countering bullshit with hyperbole!

43. b reel

b reel Active Member

Pimping out young boys to rich donors, just a rumor

44. Matt

this was already known to be his last year...do you honestly think it's VERY SMART to fire someone with an 8-1 season? That's not very smart to me. Regardless if he's been coaching from the field or up in the box, he was still the head coach and was still pushing a fantastic season.

45. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

My comment wasn't based on his record, NO UNIVERSITY wants an 80 year old as their head coach ( except for the Penn State students). Even if he wasn't planning on retiring, smart move to fire IMO

46. 07Ltd#767

so, found out a little more about this...

Apparently, the original DA that investigated this back in 2002 is "missing and presumed dead." They found his laptop in a river, never found a body. The case was closed, just reopened this week in the wake of all this.

Paterno lawyered up. I don't think this implies guilt, at least I hope it doesn't, hopefully he's just covering his ass. I truly hope that Paterno has no other involvement in this other than not pushing the subject further.

Matt Millan, the guy who originally broke this story back in April of this year (was subsequently shunned for going after Paterno's program) has also come forward that he has evidence that the Second Mile (Sandusky's charity) was pimping off children to the high paying donors. I hope to hell this isn't true...

The more I hear / read on this story, the more I am repulsed at how people can actually do this...

47. DaveH

DaveH Member

Damn it, I didn't want to wade in here - I know/care nothing of Penn State and little about college football.

Anyway, I'm quoting you from way back in the thread.

What you state above; 'following protocol' was a prime enabler for decades of cover up of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church (the parallels with this case are stark).

Within the 'workplace' there may indeed be such policies. But at some point, policy ends and law or morals have to take over.

I have to wonder how comprehensively those that knew about this really followed up with their superiors about complaints they (hopefully) made.

48. 07Ltd#767

Paterno isn't a coach anymore - he's just a figure head. His coordinators have been running his team for the last 10 years. Hell, in a press conference last year, a reporter asked a question about why he ran a certain play against an obvious defense scheme that was meant to shut it down and he threw a tangent off about the weather.

Not trying to discredit the man (any more than needed), but even Penn State fans will tell you he hasn't coached in a decade. Hell, he can't even carry on an interview.

49. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Hes like the queen of england

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

50. Matt

taken from the NASIOC OT thread:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.