Penn St and Joe Paterno

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cool_____, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Seriously Matt, if you heard about a child being raped. What would you do?

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

he's made that pretty clear in this thread...

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

It all depends on where it took place. I'm not one to go call the police over every little thing that I hear. Common Sense should tell you the same thing.

For real action, I would have to physically witness it myself, whether happening with my own eyes, or on camera. Other than that, it's all hearsay.

4. 07Ltd#767

On a tangent, the game this weekend is home against Nebraska. The line is Nebraska -3.5

Who do you take?

I put $10 on Nebraska...with the loss of pretty much all their coaches, the emotion in taht locker room, I just think playing football is not on the mind of Penn St. Shitty thing is, this would've been an awesome game; now, it's going to be like watching the first NFL game after 9/11

5. Matt

I agree

6. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Ok let's finish this stupid bullshit about he didn't have to report it.

7. Matt

your quote doesn't mean anything. That's INDIANA code and it varies from state to state.

Nice try.

8. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

...Are you kidding me?

9. 07Ltd#767

While I agree with you Bixs, he's right on that one. I think Berger looked it up earlier, it's not mandatory in Pennsylvania. Morally mandatory, maybe...but not criminally

edit - technically correct. still doesn't change the fact that it's morally wrong

10. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect
    To better understand this issue and to view it across States, download the PDF (380 KB) of this publication.

Professionals Required to Report
    Citation: Cons. Stat. Tit. 23, § 6311

Persons required to report include, but are not limited to:
    Licensed physicians, osteopaths, medical examiners, coroners, funeral directors, dentists, optometrists, chiropractors, podiatrists, interns, nurses, or hospital personnel
    Christian Science practitioners or members of the clergy
    School administrators, teachers, school nurses, social services workers, daycare center workers, or any other child care or foster care workers
    Mental health professionals
    Peace officers or law enforcement officials

Reporting by Other Persons
    Citation: Cons. Stat. Tit. 23, § 6312

Any person who has reason to suspect that a child is abused or neglected may report.

11. 07Ltd#767

so that's how the catholics got around it so long...

12. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I might just give up for a little while. This one kinda just blew my mind, and shut down any thought processes going through my head..

For PA

13. 07Ltd#767

i have a feeling when this all pans out, McCleary is going to be held legally responsible for being the eye witness and not reporting it to LE.

All along, I haven't been upset about Paterno not reporting this the LE first. I'm more disappointed in the lack of follow through and effort from all parties associated with this. While they may or may not be criminally negligent, they're morally negligent and and in the wrong.

14. 07Ltd#767

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

my mom said something about the former DA in the case years ago disappeared and no one knows where he is/went???

anyone heard this?

16. Matt

nicad posted an article about it, but here's some information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar

he goes missing, his car is found, his hdd is found in the river, and he's not been heard of since 2005. There was never any suspicion of foul play and an investigation found that he was searching on his home computer on how to destroy a hard drive via water.

There were also a lot of similarities in his disappearance to his brother's supposed/apparent/declared suicide 9 years prior.

According to the ABC article, there's still an ongoing investigation, even though his daughter had him legally declared dead in July.

17. 07Ltd#767

from what i've read / heard

edit - links to your source?

edit - links to your source?
    they didn't find his HDD in the river, they found his work laptop WITHOUT the HDD device in it, the same HDD device that had Sandusky on tape admitting he sodomized a young boy.

Never heard anything on his brother - have to look into that

The investigation was opened this week. It was closed a couple years ago, they pronounced him missing and assumed dead. My guess? He was paid a lot of money to disappear - enough to make sure he could retire somewhere warm w/ umbrellas in the drinks

18. Matt

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=3575298 - hdd recovered 2 months after they found the laptop. It was beyond recovery.

It's all in the wikipedia page I linked with sources in there as well.

19. 07Ltd#767

20. 07Ltd#767

Update

President of the Second Mile Charity (for 26+ years) resigned.

Joe Paterno's name has been removed from all Big 10 championship trophies Penn State received (need verification, just heard it on espn radio)

Only 21% of the polled nation thought Paterno should stay (espn.com poll, I believe, fwiw)

They've had multiple top tier recruits de-commit already. Unfortunately for Penn State, it's not looking like this is something they'll recover from any time soon if at all.

Oh, also, a recruit who de-committed said that Sandusky was at his home this past spring (6 months ago) recruiting him for Penn State.

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

We finally agree on my point. But to fire the dude and remove his name from trophies and all that is just a bunch of cover up bull by Penn St.

22. 07Ltd#767

or, it shows that Paterno was in fact covering it up and did nothing to stop it...

I don't necessarily agree with removing names from trophies (unless he's found criminally negligent), but I still agree 100% with his firing.

Edit - I don't agree with much of anything you've said in this thread.

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

He should have been suspended....not fired and you agreed with that earlier.

24. 07Ltd#767

Correction, his name will not be on the inaugural BIG 10 Championship trophy (since they now have 12 teams). Sorry, misheard.

I agree he should've been fired. Had he been suspended pending an investigation (which may have been what I said, can't recall and don't feel like looking) I wouldn't have been too upset. Had he been left the coach I would've been very upset.

25. Jake

Jake Active Member

meaning they were going to call it the Paterno Trophy?

26. 07Ltd#767

Edit

The championship trophy was going to be named in honor of Paterno and Stagg, both long time coaches. It will now only be known as the Stagg Trophy

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  27. 07Ltd#767

Link to article on name removal

"The trophy and its namesake are intended to be celebratory and aspirational, not controversial."

Jim Delany - Big 10 Commissioner

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

OMG I overheard this convo the other day that this girl got raped. OMG I gotta call the police even though I don't have the slightest clue what is going on.

And you call it a moral issue..........

There is no moral issue on Paterno's end. Now on McCleary's? You dang right there is on his end.....he saw it up front and personal.

29. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

:pssh:

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

What? I'm making a pure example that applies to the discussion going on here.

I can't help it if you can't comprehend what you are reading.

31. Matt

:rofl:

32. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

If it was less ridiculous and actually contributing, I might have.

33. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Figures the admin doesn't realize the irony that I'm pointing out an inconsistency of someone acting high and mighty that all of their posts are useful.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
  34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I can say the same about some 4touge threads.

35. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Fixed it for you.

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You are crossing a fine line with the name calling.

37. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

:wiggle:

38. 07Ltd#767

funny how when you cross that line, we just call you out on it, yet when others cross said line and you disagree - LOOK THE FUCK OUT WORLD

We've all cross that line multiple times, it's what happens when you apply emotion to a subject. <insert every single cool(rex / bimmer / _____) top speed / seigel / forged / doug / scott / top speed / forged / ball / sharif / top speed / etc. x 1000 flip flops here>

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm not omitting myself and have admitted that I have been VERY wrong in the past with that and I have made amends with such.

Ball? I've never had anything against Ball's business.

Thank you very much.

40. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

What Name Calling?

41. Matt

The one I edited.

42. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Someone called someone else that word with an n, an i, two g's, an e, and an r. A kind reference to "Prejudice by Tim Minchin" for that one specific person that is going to be offended by this.

43. Matt

I hate to bump this back up, but there's new information FROM McQueary that he not only stopped whatever was happening in the shower, but he also went to the police regarding what he saw.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-mcqueary-stopped-alleged-assault-source-says

The email was dated November 8th, so who knows if that's him covering his ass, or if it's truthful.

I also heard on the radio yesterday that Sandusky's attorneys are stating the boy in question from that shower incident that McQueary saw said nothing like that ever happened. BUT, we all know how some attorney's can be. :|

Man, what a cluster fuck. Hopefully it all gets resolved soon and the families can attempt to rebuild and move on.

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sandusky admitted to 'horsing' around and taking showers. It's a mess.

If McQueary did indeed report to the police but there is no record of it, then someone didn't follow protocol and someone should be punished for it. Again I'm still seeing so much upper level cover up happening.

Victim number 1's mother was flat out told about what was going on shortly after it all happened and yet she herself didn't push the issue. What the heck? I'd be locked up if my child indicated something like that.

45. 07Ltd#767

If you heard the Sandusky interview with Bob Costas the other day...*shudder* That guy is creepy sounding as fuck. He admitted it in the interview, but said he was just horsing around. Disgusting.

I hope that Paterno isn't involved in the 'upper level cover up.'

Also, did anybody else notice how vividly EVERYBODY remembers every single detail of a day that happened a decade ago? I'm going with the majority of stories you hear now are fabricated by attorneys to cover the asses of the guilty. Nobody remembers every detail down to the second of something like this, especially if they weren't doing anything guilty.

46. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I agree.

47. Matt

same.

48. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Is it just me or is McQueary not making sense in this article?

49. 07Ltd#767

In July of this year, Paterno sold his house to his wife for $1 (remember, in July was when this story initially broke). When asked, he was doing it for tax purposes.

Experts said he's trying to shield all of his finances and get them out from under his name so he's not liable for them.

50. pleiades

pleiades Member

This is bullshit in the grand jury report he clearly described a rape,seeing hands on the wall with some back door slapping.So now he stopped it ? Hey man stop that or im not leaving(as he gives the evil eye across the locker room).

Anything less than leaving with the child right then is disgusting and saying that he stopped it is a joke.Everyone is lawyered now so yea.

sigh.. back to work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.