Preparing to Swap in a Six Speed...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by K. Marx, Dec 29, 2010.

1. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

i personally would use it, as it's not going to hurt anything if the clutch is bad. You'll know as soon as you start moving, and it's easy enough to replace if it's bad. Plus, saves a couple hundred more bucks

step up clutches when you add power

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Plus Andy should be able to look at it and tell you if it is worth using or not.

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

you're probably going to need male axles. if you have a bugeye it will have female front axles w/ stubs in the transmission, and a later model 6MT will not have axle stubs.

easiest route is to buy the axle stubs (make sure you have the right size for the stub seals in the 6MT - there are two different sizes) and the c-clips from the dealer.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Correct. Only the 2004 STi had stubs in it already.

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

halfway through the model year. there are also two different sized stubs, so make sure you get the oil seals to correspond to the stub size you are using (check the installed ID in the transmission and the OD of the stubs you buy)

6. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

^^^
    Thanks, guys.

I will take the clutch to Andy and let him take a look at it. I mentioned it to him once, and I don't think he was particularly enthused by the idea.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I run a small business on the side doing mechanical work as time allows during the school year (I'm normally an English teacher), and work as a full time heavy truck mechanic during the summers. When people bring used parts for me to install, I usually cringe, so I don't blame him.

I've worked out an install deal with Andy (I've been WAY short on time this school year) that works out well for me and allows me to carry a warranty on terms that both Killshot and I are comfortable with. If he doesn't want to use it, I definitely won't push the issue, or at least make it clear that if it goes out soon, I will replace it and carry the risk of dropping any associated warranty. Having worked around this stuff and spent more than my fair share of time with asshole customers, I can't help but be sympathetic to my installer's preferences.

As for the stubs, I'm covered on that... they were switched out to accept my axles as soon as I bought the trans. :) In this case I'm happy to kick my feet up for once and let someone else handle all the tedious and greasy technical stuff.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  7. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member