Project White-Lighting LGT

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by wileycoyote0022, Jun 12, 2015.

1. I figured it was time I made a post of all the upgrades and future plans of the car. I have had the car for roughly 9 month now. Mods I started with...

Cobb DP & UP
    257 (still running LGT heads, Intake Manifold and Turbo)
    JE Pistons & Rods 99.5 Bore, 79mm stroke (standard) 9.5/1
    STI Crank
    Cobb Stage 2 (off the shelf)

I bought the car in September last year, in Orlando. The car needed a lot of work, but I was pretty impressed with that the guy had all the paper work for the engine, and receipts. He was asking 9k for it, I ended up giving 8k for it. Which to me was well worth it, at least at the time. Now I wish I would have given him 7k for it.

[​IMG]

And so the build began.

2. Assessment

As I knew, the car needed alot of love and work. I had only crawled under the car while it was still on the ground. I saw it had a little rust, but nothing on the body or sub-frame, which is all that mattered to me. However, the damage was much more extensive than I originally thought. Luckily it was all things replaceable, and even better upgradeable. There was a little surface rust on some of the subframe but no pitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Master Cylinder was leaking as has been for awhile.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There wasnt one single bushing that wasnt torn or disintegrated. Transmission mount was barely attached with only one bolt. The shifter bushings (which I dont have a picture of) didnt exist! it was a metal rod with a bolt going through it, and not rubber. NONE! Shifting was like driving a old CJ5 cable transmission. Sloppy sloppy sloppy.

Brake caliper pistons were SEVERELY pitted to the point I was just waiting for one of them to fail.

The suspension had seen better days, as the shocks where on their way out the door.

Just about every nut and bolt under the car was rusted and majority siezed. It was going to be SOOOOO much fun breaking them loose.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  3. b reel

b reel Active Member

this justifies the purchase of large compressor, die-grinder and some cut-off wheels

4. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

^Fact!