Reed's RSTi Project From Hell

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Electioneer, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:|

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Did the body shop recommend that.

I would have gone with Soda blasting.

Just curious why they suggested one over the other

3. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

The body shop recommended it over sanding or chemical paint removal. They never expanded on what media should have been used.

4. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Work continues on the donor these past few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been meticulously making my way through the entire wiring harness, identifying every connector and marking it with masking tape and a sharpie.

Like so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put one of these babies at every plug, intersecting or merging of the harness. Also it is convenient to leave little notes to myself like, "on top of parcel shelf". Hopefully this will making routing everything in the RS painless. I even color coded! Green is interior, Black is engine, Red is exterior, etc. I find it to very re-assuring.

I also did some experimenting with interior pieces. I flocked the clock gauge pod. Essentially you paint on black acrylic paint, then shoot these tiny tiny fibers on to the surface. Give it a day to dry and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

I'm doing the entire dash like that. Eliminates glare and it is unique so why not?

That's it for now.

Take care,
    Reed

5. Max Q

Max Q Member

You should be proud of that EJ255. I just dropped 4800 fucking dollars on a replacement longblock 255 for my LGT. $2000 for the used long block with 60k miles and another $2600 to rebuild the fucking thing when I found out it had a burnt exhaust valve.

I'm ready to slit my wrists after reading about your find.

6. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Don't do anything drastic.

Some caliper work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Texsun

Texsun Member

Did you paint them?

8. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

With my own two hands! Well, those and some high temp enamel paint. I will see how they withstand the test of time. I did three coats of the grey, laid down vinyl stickers, three of black, peel off sticker and then 3 of clear.

I had to do some touching up on the rears with a paintbrush because the sticker didn't completely cover due to the dome shape of the caliper.

9. MattACK

MattACK Member

Done yet?

10. h23bb2

h23bb2 Member

no. he's too busy touching stuff to actually get anything done.... lol

11. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

No, but I have been making progress.

Car was primed today and if SoM (Subaru of Mcdonough) ever gets my darned front bumper cover in we can get some real paint on it.

I also got some stuff in the mail and started putting it on. Here are pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also cleaned up a bunch of parts from the donor. Most of which will never be seen, but I will know they look good ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and everything organized. For now atleast.

[​IMG]

12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

So what was the final solution on the body work? Gonna have to have a bunch of bondo/filler?

13. lucky13

lucky13 Member

Was that alumabrite you were using to clean those parts?

14. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

On the doors yes, some on the quarter panel. New fenders, hood and trunk deck lid.

I used a large amount of dawn and a wire brush.

15. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Car gets painted this week. I have been at school up here in Tennessee for the past few weeks so everything is just waiting to be put on a car.

Hopefully I can find a weekend to get home and get everything on. All I need is to put the mechanical stuff on, get the wiring all together, put a dash on and a seat and I should be able to drive it around and test everything out for now.

Also, if anyone has RS radiator hoses and is not looking to have them anymore, I will steal them from you.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

so are you at a real college... say in Nashville?

17. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Sewanee: University of the South. It's about 30 minutes north of Chattanooga.

18. b reel

b reel Active Member

at least the car won't be painted orange...

19. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

I have been very anal about the color. I think I have checked it three or four different times (sunlight, shade, indoors, etc.). Just incase.

Are you referring to the one RSti that is orange and has been up for sale for quite some time?

20. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

:slap: University of Tennessee Volunteers

21. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

The car came home today. Sorry for the bad pictures but you get the idea. I am actually not there but my brother sent them to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. lucky13

lucky13 Member

It's missing the roll cage:)

23. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Want to help me build it? :p

24. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Nice color

25. stirhino

stirhino Member

Looks like crap!

26. lucky13

lucky13 Member

I would love to. Ive got the skills, who's got the equiptment?

27. h23bb2

h23bb2 Member

I second this. Look at that color.... It looks like primer with some flake in it.... :wtc:

28. stirhino

stirhino Member

Wait I think those are pics of when it was primed. I don't think that the actual paint? Or I hope not anyways! :sx:

29. Texsun

Texsun Member

I think its Sexy!

30. b reel

b reel Active Member

I like the marble effect, much better than the Justy's

31. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

We just need 20 or so feet of tubing and a mandrel bender. Shouldn't be hard.

32. lucky13

lucky13 Member

And a tig welder.

33. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

[​IMG]

The rest of the junk came today. It looked so bad they had to wrap it in plastic.

34. liltoua

liltoua Member

Can't wait for this to be done!!! Is that a rear bumper?

35. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Me neither man! Rear bumper, hood, doors, deck lid, spoiler, spats, sunroof, etc.

36. liltoua

liltoua Member

OEM rear or aftermarket?

37. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

38. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Are they painted already?

39. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Everything expect the front bumper, which is still on back order...

40. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

hey reed.....do you miss the 05 yet?

41. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

lil' bit, but I miss anything with four wheels and an engine right now. The excitement to finish the 98 outweighs the absence of the 05!

42. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

good deal, so how long do you realistically think until you have 4 wheels with a running motor working again

43. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

The goal is January 18th, which I think it attainable. I'll be able to work on it over thanksgiving, and my winter break begins December 17th.

44. lucky13

lucky13 Member

Rollcage.

45. b reel

b reel Active Member

no rollcage, not race car.

46. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

That will make a good project for next summer when I have a legitimate job and income. I mean, prostitution has its perks, but I don't think I'm cut out for that line of work.

In the meantime, be on the lookout for tig welders, mandrel benders and cutting equipment on the cheap.

47. lucky13

lucky13 Member

I'm on it.

48. h23bb2

h23bb2 Member

SO what your saying is, I'm gonna be short one bitch next summer?! I don't think so! :squint:

49. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

nice read, keep up the good work

50. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

I was home this weekend and got to do some work. Did a little wrenching but I most of my time was spent organizing and cleaning up. I also sprayed the interior to match the exterior a bit closer. That's it for now, around thanksgiving and Christmas time will get back to putting it together.

I'll probably have a "Get-together and Help Reed Assemble His Car While Having Some Hamburgers, Drinks and Good Conversation with friends alike" type thing. Name is still a work in progress...

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the sunlight:

[​IMG]

And everything to go in:

[​IMG]

Take care,
    Reed