Rob's 05 STi...I call it The Yeti

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by yourenotboosted?, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I recently purchased an 05 STi back in June of 2012. I have wanted a STi since I was about 12 years old. I owned a 04 RX8 previously and loved it; the only thing it was missing was power...I took a look around at prices on GD's because that was my favorite body, after some research and patience I had one. So far I have not done any modifications myself however there are a couple mods.

Current:

TGV Delete
    3" Straight pipe from the cat back
    MBC with car on 18lbs

The dyno from TopSpeed MS shows the car making 268 hp and 302 wtq.

Near Future:

FMIC
    HKS SSQV (with bypass kit most likely)
    Short Ram Intake (haven't decided on manuf. yet)
    Cobb AP
    Gauges (oil pressure; water temp; boost)

Aesthetic:

De-badged currently
    Front lip in the future

Long term I plan on keeping the car street-able with ~400hp and making suspension and supporting mods to support it. I enjoy autocross and would like to track it on occasion. I'm still ironing out the details as this is the first car I have owned that is capable of serious power.

Any insight is welcome. Eventually I'll do an actual photoshoot (probably with my lady's G8) but for now here are a few pics, thanks for stopping by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Welcome!

Are you untuned? MBC is pretty dangerous without a tune

3. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Welcome.

Hopefully you didnt pick this sti up.

[youtube]dpBIRVmVWNE[/youtube]

4. Topspeed in ATL tuned the car, but I'm gonna have it retuned soon after I buy a few parts

5. I don't think that's mine lol...I sure hope not at least...

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

Guess ill be the first to say it, as every newcomer says 'what intake do I get?'

Don't waste your money, put it into suspension. The stock air box is good up to 400hp

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

put a performance filter in the OEM box, snorkel delete, turbo inlet with after MAF and that's all you need till you go rotated.

8. The snorkel is already gone...I guess I should throw up a pic of the engine bay lol...I've done some research on the intake and I was really thinking of doing the open air intake mainly for the sound I know it doesn't make a huge difference or anything, and they don't seem to be really expensive if I get one used or something. My main focus right now is to get a little more support for the tune it's already on...The guy that had it before me didn't do a lot of supporting mods. And I definitely appreciate the advice guys, I'm not a newcomer to the car scene, but I am somewhat of a newcomer to these Subarus.

9. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

LOL i was actually at this meet, and i gotta say the owners of those car that got hit were pretty pissed.....

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

why ruin the performance of a working part?
    I listed all that you need to be concerned about intake wise, trust me with the cluster fuck I have just leave it be and spend the money on more worth while parts in the suspension and brake category.

11. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Not to mention that they're my buddies, which I had to hold back from beating the crap out of the redneck.

12. What the hell was the truck guy trying to do??

OT: Sound is all good, but just read up some more on the uselessness of intakes. Also, if it's sound you are after, get a bellmouth downpipe. You can clearly hear the turbo whistle with it AND get some power gain.

13. I could imagine man...i know I would be pissed.

I'll do a little more research I mean I'm not really upset with how it performs now, I just know its always good to let an engine breathe better.

14. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

The problem is with a short ram you are sucking in the hot ambient airs of the engine bay. You want sound go stock airbox with a k&n filter and 3 in turbo inlet turbe on the intake and a 4" turbo xs bellmouth downpipe.

15. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

i fought this for quite some time....but most people here know their shit around herer...hell b_reel is my go-to guy for issues with my subaru... Welcome to community. looks clean from the pictures =) (yay another '05 owner)

16. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Looks like I'm only a month late to this lol!

Congrats on the new ride, let me know if you have any questions or need anything!

17. Thanks guys, I've been rethinking what I want to do with it. For now I'm focused on getting a house, then the car stuff starts.

18. Just installed RCE yellows over the weekend...once I wash the car and allow the springs to settle Ill get a few pictures

19. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Please post the pics once the RCE's have settled. I'm thinking of swapping my prodrives with RCE yellows on my '05 as well.

20. Alright here are a couple quick pictures of the car with the RCE yellows (I'm pretty sure it's settled by now). Nice drop IMO not too low, just right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The install wasn't too bad, 2 of us installed them in about 6 hours or so with air tools and a garage. Had the car aligned and camber adjusted to RCE yellows recommendations. So far the car feels nice.

I also just got my new knob from Flossy but I'm having fitment issues. So far they have been helpful getting everything worked out. Once I get it all straightened out I'll get some pics of it up.

Thanks for stopping by.

21. DannyLerch

DannyLerch Member

watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

You will see no gains from a cold air intake. Your car already gets plenty of cool air, the oem one is engineered perfectly for its function. I'd put the money into bushings, sways, handling mods, and the like before you decide to get to crazy with engine mods. When you buy an after market intake you're paying for looks most of the time.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  22. Yeah after what some of the other guys said I did some research. This is my first STi, and the fastest car I've ever owned. I've really switched gears on my plans. The car really is a beast already, so I'm just enjoying it for now. I'm focusing on suspension and maybe supporting the mods already done to the car. Right now I'm doing a few little things because I will most likely be moving in the next few months. Thanks for the info though.

23. Here's my YouTube channel guys...got a few autocross vids up. Still waiting on the flossy knob, my buddies uncle is working out the fitment...flossy just stopped answering my emails a couple months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/user/yourenotboosted

24. Ricanracer21

Ricanracer21 New Member

The white on the STI's is an amazing color, sometimes I wish my STI was a different color, but I'm happy with my DMG! :D

25. New shift knob finally on!

[​IMG]

26. Thought I would put this out here to see if anyone has any suggestions. I know my car will need to be retuned, but my question is if it will need a protune or if the AP is enough (I have a AP1 btw, I know I need to upgrade)

I just received my catless down pipe and uppipe from invidia. The car already has a straight pipe welded to stock dp, 18lbs of boost and TGV delete. When I put the new pipes on will it be fine to tune it with the AP or do I need to get a protune? Also from what I understand Stage 2 takes it to 19lbs boost correct? So I will need to adjust the MBC as well? Any other near future mods anyone recommends with this setup?

Thanks for the help guys.

27. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

With that setup, it will fall just outside where a Cobb shelf map will be sufficient so you will need a Protune. That being said, you have to upgrade your AccessPORT either way because there is no more support for the Version Ones.

Also, I would recommend ditching the manual boost controller and using either factory boost control solenoid (which will be fine with the stock turbo) or upgrading to a Cobb or Grimmspeed if you plan to upgrade the turbo down the road.

In the future, anytime you have questions feel free to pick up the phone and give us a shout - we will happily discuss modding cars all day long... it's what we do :)

28. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

You can still have your car tuned with the AP1. The down side is not being able to have as many maps on it, as ap2 and the newer one. Also if you use your ap1, do all your mods before the tune and leave it at that. Unless you can afford to have multiple tunes every time you add another mod. IMO ditch the MBC, if you use the AP1. Also not every tuner can operate/tune with the AP1. Fortunately for me Scott Siegel tuned mine with AP1. TopSpeed couldn't tune mine with AP1

29. b reel

b reel Active Member

Cobb no longer supports the AP1 and not sure if they still do the $200.00 off trade-in deal

30. Finally had the car tuned. Got a decent amount of torque from it. Thanks again to Mike @ Topspeed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Awesome man!

Glad I could help - enjoy!