Round #1 Parts Testing - TopSpeed 2011 Sti - Data and pics included

Discussion in 'TopSpeed Motorsports' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

This will be the first of many tests to come...

For this test we will installing and testing the new Invidia EL Race header, and uppipe. This is the latest Invidia design using larger primary runner diameters in an equal length package. It also has yet to be tested back to back so we figured this would be a good first test to share with the community.

[​IMG]

In an attempt to make this an accurate comparison we wanted to be sure to maximize the potential of the car before and after the install, as well as do same day testing. For this test the TopSpeed 2011 sti was baselined with a full Invidia turbo back system using a catted downpipe. Once the baseline dyno tune was completed and the car mapped for the parts already installed we moved the car onto the lift for the header and uppipe install.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prior to installing headers or uppipes we prefer to wrap them in heat wrap. From years of testing we have found that heat wrap plays a major role in subaru's. It helps keep the IAT's down, as well as increasing spool and power delivery. If you have the chance to wrap your headers and uppipe do it as there really isn't a drawback in doing so.

[​IMG]

Installing both the header and uppipe were straight forward and we give them a TopSpeed fitment of A++. Everything lined up perfectly... as expected since we chose to use all exhaust pieces from one manufacture and not mix match pieces. Included were all bolts and gaskets needed, we chose to run factory gasket on the heads instead of the supplied ones in the kit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the part everyone wants to see.... the dyno graphs and data:naughty:.

Run#14 is with the header, uppipe, TBE and custom tune
    Run#09 is just the TBE and custom tune

[​IMG]

It is quite obvious that the header and uppipe allow the car to make more power from the above before and after dynograph. What isn't so obvious is with the new header and uppipe the car actually made less boost for most of the dyno pull. This is because of many different factors. Mostly though it can be summed up that the header and uppipe have made the engine a more efficient air pump and the stock VF turbo is not able maintain the CFM required. Even still less boost doesn't mean this is a bad header. Because now we are able to run more timing on pumpgas safely because of the drop of exhaust density and egt's :)

Here are the boost plots and timing plots from both runs so you can see the differences. Notice on the boost plot it is down about 1psi from 4k up, yet we am able to run 3deg more timing through most of the rpm range.

Boost Plot
    [​IMG]

Ignition Timing
    [​IMG]

At the end of the day we think this is an amazing header. Anything that allows the motor to breath better and make more SAFE power gets a TopSpeed thumbs up.

We will also do this test again when we upgrade the turbo as we expect the gains with that test to be even better.

We will be stocking these so if interested give us a call..

Thanks,

TopSpeed Motorsports

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

That is the best wrapping job I have ever seen! :bowdown:

3. Doug@DBW Motorsports

thanks... took a long time to complete but it came out great.

4. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

holy crap, nice comparison!
    are the invidia headers made of 321 ss?

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

very nice Doug and yes that is one hell of a wrap job.

6. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Yes really nice job on the wrap. Are the headers also available for 02+ applications?

7. Doug@DBW Motorsports

headers will fit all years, and since its designed for a 2 bolt uppipe it will work with any rotated kit that runs the same 2 bolt flange.

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

sucks they won't clear my ARC oilpan

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

so Topspeed offers wraps now?

10. Doug@DBW Motorsports

We have always offered wraps.. but its not really cheap. It took two 50ft rolls, two packages of stainless clamps, and about 2hrs of time. That would come out to 100bucks in material and 200 bucks of labor.

11. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

What brand/model wraps do you recommend? I've wanted to heatwrap all my previous cars but I've always heard that wrapping could lead to the welds cracking as a result of the heat not being able to dissipate.

Do you have any videos of the exhaust?

12. b reel

b reel Active Member

I've always coated the exhaust then wrapped followed by a coat of paint. Hate how that shit gets brittle and creates an itchy F'ing mess. Ebay headers crack regardless

13. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I have wrapped every one of my headers and they have never cracked. We use DEI header wrap, and clamps.

I wanted to coat this one first but didn't have the time to send it off.

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

damn that's some TORQUE right there! nice work.

15. longfury

longfury Active Member

I went and looked at the charts from the stock car with a tune and now the car with a TBE and a tune and there is not much of a difference. The header really opens it up though.

That is monster torque.

16. Doug@DBW Motorsports

The downpipe makes a big difference, I was surprised that the catback didn't make as much difference on the stock turbo. With both of these tunes I went conservative as we will be offering them as shelf maps customers can purchase from the website.

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

I can understand that. I bet the DP helps spool quite a bit.

Whenever my car gets here I know I want you to get rid of the stock tune and we can talk about other mods at that time. :)

I do also know I want that cat back with the normal tips. :) I just have to figure out how to pay for it all. :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The tq gains are insane! And holy nice header wrap job there.

19. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Does the exhaust work on 2009 wrx sedans, or is it STi specific? Not the header and up, you covered that, but the catback?

20. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I am about 95% that it will work, but would first need to check with Invidia.

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I really like the Invidia name plates....cool little touch of class there.

22. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

^^^

Ditto, and the welds look really, really good

23. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Which pieces are next? Wrapping is such a pain, good thing it's totally worth it :)

[​IMG]

24. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Topspeed guys,
    Will these headers work on an 05' STi? If so, how much are they? I'll put these in myself.

25. Doug@DBW Motorsports

yes they will fit... the are right around 800 bucks