RSTI... Take II

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by SANDERS, Jul 9, 2011.

1. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

This is what happens when you don't log out and let other use your computer...

its a fail on my part...
    sorry you guys had to hear it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

ha! thats funny... 90% of what you saw the other night was my work.

3. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

What, the radio or the Grand Prix mod.lol Or do you mean the functional hood scoops. LOVES car washes!:rofl:

4. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

lets see...

new fenders, new hood, better paint, new grills, new lip, and new driver.

so yeah other than rims what he saw that night is all "my" work.

5. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

Sooo, what you are saying is that you managed to run into the back of someone and just replaced all of the same parts that I already had on the car.(minus the ram air/water hood).....

Wait, didn't I already have 355mm Stoptech brakes on this car when I gave it to you? hummmm, so you really can't drive....:pssh:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  6. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

i dont use brakes... brakes are for pussies. and yes i am a horrible driver. im fuckin Asian what you expect?

and FYI i have 355mm brakes.

i replaced the fenders you rolled with a bat. and hacked up.
    and rolled/pulled myself to perfection with proper tools.

7. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

My bad, even worse, bigger than I remembered.lol

I used your roller.... and a bat.... I didn't want to say anything about the Asian thing cause Minnoe can drive, but it is rare to find one that can...

8. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

Alright... Heads and cam are back from getting cleaned up. New PRC springs, retainers, valve seats installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I thought you seemed unusually coherent and pleasant!

10. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

11. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

headgaskets and intake gaskets showed up today!

I should start assembly this weekend!

12. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Well, I got those pistons for ya, but you will still need 4 more!

13. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

WoW again.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Man pushrods are so dang simple.

15. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

And more developed than most other motors. Hence parts are a good bit less expensive since tons of companies make them and things are more competitive in the Chevrolet market. Take intake manifolds for instance. There are about 7-8 companies making intake manifolds for the LS motor (maybe more) and one can be had for anywhere from $300-$500 with the exception of the FAST intake which is close to $1000. Now look at the WRX intake manifolds. You have basically 2 choices other than factory both at around $1000. Even pistons. I can have 8 pistons for one of these for the price of 4 for a Subaru.

And it is nice to be able to go down to your local auto parts store and be able to get just about anything for the motor without it having to be special ordered like you do for a Subaru, lol.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

pushrods aren't even half of it, the simplicity of a LSx swap into any car, boat and bike or even freaking planes make it an obvious choice. And as pointed out cheap as hell to build a stable HO motor in comparison to anything else offered.

17. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

Single stage paint is not my favorite to spray at the house. My compressor/gun setup here is't that good, but the result on my intake manifold and TB turned out ok. Love the new fuel rails! And the Seimens 60lbs injectores are nice too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also coated my C6 vette exhaust manifolds with the VHT ceramic paint.

[​IMG]

The wife wipping down the car after building new shelfing and work space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

Yeah, Katelyn even decided to help push a broom. She tried to hide what she sweep up under the tarp. lol.

19. liltoua

liltoua Member

That looks insane! Makes my 2.0 look like a toy HAHA

20. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

2.0 is a toy. Hondas dont even come with 2.0 anymore. lol

Waiting for updates. And what do you do for living SANDERS, you seem to be set for life. lol

21. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

I have a few items that I have to have to keep progress moving forward, ie. Rear 5X100 R180 hubs and brakes so I can get the the rear of of stands and get it rolling again. Come on ALLPRO!

I will be taking it to a shop with welding tools to finish the up motor and tranny mounts. Then drop the car off for a drive shaft to be cut for it.

Currently I work for Travelers Ins. for my day to day job.... Also I'm still in buisness with my dad @ Sanders Motor Co. (small used car lot) No money to be made from that these days,lol. Hopefully the economy will return before I get ready to retire...:sx:

22. ballistic

ballistic Member

its about time someone did this swap, progress is looking good too.

who did your head work?

23. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

Carroll's Engine work in Athens. The cost was reasonable and they were very timely too.

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So are you gonna be able to keep the stock hood or are you gonna have to butcher it some?

25. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

It closes just fine. At the tightest point, I still have 2" of clearance without cutting the hood. I was worried about the cross over tube for fuel rails. It has excessive amount of hose, but I changed the angle and it clears just fine. I may still reroute the cross over to the rear.

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Awesome! Can't wait to see the real thing in there.

27. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

Me too. I wanted to get the cam in, heads installed and new pushrods in place so I could button it up this weekend, but my crank puller and feeler gauges are with my bro. :(

Thanks bro!

28. Slows2k

Slows2k New Member

When do I get the ride along :D

29. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

As soon as it's finished I guess.LOL... I am just waiting on parts and time off to get it done.

30. Slows2k

Slows2k New Member

Take your time, I don't want to miss this one

31. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

Quick update: I have found out something the hard way... 08 STI CV axles will not mate up to 04-07 STI hubs. The splines are the same but the ends are cut different. So tighen up on the axle nut and lockup of the rear hub is what you get... So I have located rear 04 STI CV's to finish that off! (ALLPRO!!! FTW!!!)
    Rear end combination is as so:
    08 STI R180 rear diff
    04 STI R180 CV's
    05 STI R180 knuckles
    04 STI R180 hubs

This is way to complecated to explain, and YES just sorcing for a 04 STI rear end would have been all I needed, but it was harder than you would think to find. Besides I had already received a 08 setup before I knew about the caliper/knuckle/cv issues.lol...

32. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Are you planning to keep it awd?

33. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

^^

Doubt that. o.o

Cant wait to see this thing finished.

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It's not staying AWD.

35. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I heard he going FWD with this one.

36. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

RWD. moe fun that way!

37. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

I was thinking of making it LWD only!

38. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Nice! NASCAR setup!

39. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

only when he's driving in reverse

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Dude are you really that stupid? He said LWD not LTD.

41. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Whatever. It's the perfect setup.

42. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

At the local chevy dealer now to pick up final gaskets needed to complete motor! It's still wierd to say Chevy parts for a Subie.

43. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

You really think a sti rear end can handle that power? I foresee broken axles and diff in your future.

44. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I told him if he wanted to trash a Subaru rear end he could have my R160 and axles :)

45. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

Already have a back up plan for that if that is the case. It will be a little labor intensive,but deff. cost effective and hard as balls. But for the purpose of using a close to OE as possible setup for now the see what limitaions I will have with this setup

46. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I remember all of the rwd sti's in FD breaking rear ends and axels

47. b reel

b reel Active Member

R200 diff from a Z

48. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

That's the back up plan...

Car has been relocated to a shop to start the final engine mount/ cradle build up and starting of stainless exhaust work. pics to come in a few weeks...

49. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

50. Andy_013

Andy_013 Member

it was good meeting you today! Can't wait to see the out come of this project!