RSutton's 2011 SSM WRX Hatch Progress

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by rsutton1223, May 11, 2011.

1. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

2. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Nice pictures, you must have an awesome camera.

3. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I think he dabbles in photography every now and then. Pretty good for a smartphone huh? :keke:

4. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

5. rsutton1223

I put it in A for Awesome mode. It jumps out of the car, runs over and takes the shot. Need I say it is awesome? Just like one of those robotic vacuum cleaners!

Palm Treo FTW!

6. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

If yours does that I think my MKIII is defective :-/

7. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

you have to put in the contra code, that's the secret

8. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

I flashed a 3rd party rom to my roomba, it tries to use the toilet now.

9. rsutton1223

Mid basses are in.

[​IMG]

10. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

what speakers did you go w/???

11. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Real close to the same setup I went with

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  12. rsutton1223

Now I just have to tune it...

13. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Keep wishing buddy.... once you pulled the MS8 there is no "just". ;)

Doug's equivalent on the audio side does live a couple hours up the road in SC if you think about going that direction. I think Jason is taking the BRZ there this weekend.

14. rsutton1223

Ok...the audio system is completely installed at this point. To recap, I wanted audiophile grade sound in my car without losing a bit of function. To accomplish this, an Audio Integrations box was used for the hatch and the amps/processors were installed underneath both front seats. That doesn't make for the prettiest "show off" install, but it does get the job done without any sacrifice in the car's interior.

Here is the new layout as it is installed now.

[​IMG]

The Pioneer X930BT Source Unit

[​IMG]

The Hertz HDP4 (powers Peerless SLS 6.5" Midbasses and JL 8" W3v2) and Power Block

[​IMG]

Rockford Fosgate 3.sixty.3 Processor Massive QX4 (powers Scanspeak Discovery 10F 4" midranges and LPG Tweeters)

[​IMG]

LPG Aluminum Dome Tweeters and Scanspeak Discovery 10F 4" Midranges in fiberglassed a-pillars covered in black Alcantara by JPM Coachworks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rsutton1223

1-1/4" Spacer for Peerless SLS made by friend on DIYMA

[​IMG]

Peerless SLS 6.5" Midbasses installed with duct sealant and sealed doors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JL Audio 10" W3v2 Subwoofer in Audio Integrations Box

[​IMG]

Rockford Fosgate 3.sixty.3 Controller

[​IMG]

Now the fun part...the tuning begins...

[​IMG]

16. rsutton1223

Also thanks to Slade with all of the help with speaker selection and introductions.

17. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

that's is hands down the nicest interior i've ever seen on a subaru

18. rsutton1223

I would love to take credit for it...but Alex and Joe at JPM Coachworks are insanely talented and I gave them free reign on my car.

19. liltoua

liltoua Member

Damn Rob....looks so damn sexy. This is like a complete package...interior/exterior/engine bay

20. Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

That what I was thinking. It had turned out really well.

21. rsutton1223

22. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Must been a heck of a run dragging/pushing your car.

23. digitizedsoul

so jelly.

I woke up this morning and went to the office.

24. rsutton1223

The beginning of the run was warm...

[​IMG]

Other areas...not so much...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. digitizedsoul

You need to show me where this is man! Reminds me of my hometown in western NC, but I hate driving 4hrs just for that everytime I want it

26. crazyazn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; ADR6400L 4G Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Oh man, you haven't checked out north of.dahlonega yet? There are some sweet driving roads there, sr60 ->180, also 129. The pics were done on 348 (overlooks so its perfect for pics as you can see). Man makes me miss driving, miss shooting pics up there.

Ps. 129 is often watched by police, trust me on that :(

27. crazyazn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; ADR6400L 4G Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Also sorry first sentence sounds harsh, meant it like 'damn all this time talking to you we haven't mentioned that?!'

28. rsutton1223

I know right?! That is our favorite area to get in trouble!

29. rsutton1223

Was in downtown Atlanta for an audio meet so I stopped by the Coke entrance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. rsutton1223

So I started work on this week...

First, the setup you see here is really just a proof of concept. I was hoping that I could just use MDF for the subwoofer enclosure and build around that...but I am just losing too much airspace under the enclosure. It ends up making the floor higher than I want and I don't like being inefficient with space. It looks like I am going to have to learn how to make a fiberglass enclosure after all. This will, however, give me a chance to test the staging in the car before diving head first into the deep end, so it isn't a complete waste of time.

Let me start by saying that this is not the prettiest box I have ever made. I am almost embarrassed to post pictures of it. I think after my brain went "this is not the final product" quality took a hike. That said, there are four things this box does do.

1. It fits perfectly.
    2. It is exactly .8 cubic feet
    3. It is sealed without any leaks
    4. It uses the factory spare tire mount to secure it to the floor which I kind of thought was cool.

I ended up using more duct sealant around the mount and now the driver is almost impossible to push in the box is sealed so well.

[​IMG]

Here is my new JL Audio 13TW5v2-4 in the enclosure.

[​IMG]

I have always wanted a hatch with an upward firing sub ever since a friend of mine had a Civic with that setup back in the 90's.

31. digitizedsoul

That's AWESOME man. I love this (cept for the loss of a spare tire cuz i'm a wuss) but hey actually I have the tire warranty so who cares!
    That sub probably hits so effin hard... can't wait to hear it

regarding north georgia, I didn't grow up here like you kids did!!! I know nothing, see nothing, hear nothing

32. rsutton1223

Mine was kind of worthless anyway as the diameter is a little off from the tires on the car. A can of fix a flat will work just as well.

That sub is getting a friend. :naughty:

33. digitizedsoul

lol ur wild dude

34. J_P

I like the idea. I did something similar in my 95 civic hatch. Is the spare tire well shallow or is it just the picture?

35. rsutton1223

It is shallow which is the main reason for this driver selection. Originally I wanted to run the new W6v3's. They are just too deep if I want to keep a close to stock hatch floor height.

36. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I competed back in the 90's with this same idea in mind. The box was glassed into the floor and did the same thing with the spare tire mount! I wish I kept pictures of the setup:( If I remember correctly I ultimately ended up with an ID 10 with ID horns up front. I also had amps made by Xtant? maybe....I dont even know if they are still around anymore.

37. b reel

b reel Active Member

friend? as in a second sub to split the signal?

38. rsutton1223

I used to run XTant amps back in the day! I miss those.

39. rsutton1223

Who said anything about splitting signals? ;)

40. J_P

Have you considered some old school round Kicker subs? They have some that are pretty shallow and they still kill in a sealed enclosure. I'm not referring to any of the new fangled square crap.

http://kicker.com/subwoofers

edit: and to add to what Integroid mentioned.. have you considered using fiberglass? If you're going that custom go ahead and jump.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  41. rsutton1223

The older Kicker stuff is nice but these JL's only have a 2.625" mounting depth which makes them great for this application.

42. rsutton1223

I am going fiber. I have to given my constraints. The MDF box was a proof of concept as I mentioned in the post. To shove 2 of these in the trunk and still have a factory looking and functioning storage space, fiberglassing the bottom is my only option.

43. J_P

I should have just re-read what you already stated. That is a seriously shallow mounting depth.

44. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Robb I can only continue to drool over your Subaru. The progress you're making is incredible and becomes more tasteful with each mod and is no where near over done even with all modifications you've made. Keep it up dude

45. rsutton1223

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to get to work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

46. digitizedsoul

Make two, one that fits a sedan trunk
    :D

47. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Were you in Norcross, lately? I think I saw you, or a car that looks just like yours, on Jimmy Carter.

48. rsutton1223

I had to get something at a woodworking store last week in that area. Might have been me...

49. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

That had to be you. It was mid last week, early in the morning, you made a right out the woodwork store. Very nice car.

50. rsutton1223

Productive weekend on the new audio setup. The trunk is prepped for the fiberglass work as well.

[​IMG]

Thanks!