RSutton's 2011 SSM WRX Hatch Progress

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by rsutton1223, May 11, 2011.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Get in touch with Mike at TopSpeed Motorsports. He'll get you taken care of. That is where mine came from.

More pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mbui

mbui New Member

curious as to which floor mats you have? weathertech?

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

AllPro has some nice custom ones if you don't want to go with Weathertech

4. rsutton1223

Yep. WeatherTech. I love them.

5. hockeyfan19

hockeyfan19 New Member

Rob, thanks for the tip. I'll talk to Mike about them. I'm usually bugging him about parts advice anyway.

6. rsutton1223

7. rsutton1223

Another image I haven't posted here.

[​IMG]

8. KGraska

KGraska Member

WOW!!! Love the photos under the rocks. :bowdown:

9. rsutton1223

I was having issues with losing oil so it was time to get an air oil separator. Car was still hitting full boost/power with no smoking or anything weird. It was just getting into the intake system. An air oil separator is a good idea anyway. I really like the Crawford setup so that is the one I went with. Install is pretty straight forward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

might be time to check the AOS in the valve covers and PCV system for build up or clog.

11. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Bridal Veil Falls. But that has to be the smallest amount of water I've seen in a while there. We need rain BAD.

12. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Fall leaves are in peak right now up in Asheville.
    Sometimes I wish i'd never moved :(
    Then I remember that if you don't farm tobacco, christmas tree's, sell used cars or pastor a baptist church there is literally no income to be found up there.

Oh, also meth.

13. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Income isn't everything. Sure it's nice but lately I've been going back to my roots (hunting, fishing, dirty trucks) and I tell ya the simple things in life are what's best.

Ok I'm off my soapbox....:rofl:

14. digitizedsoul

Robb do you have any good underhood shots of your car showing the stock location setup? I am finding it harder and harder to find stock location turbo pics WITH a FMIC.
    Most keep the TMIC and you can't see anything as a result. I'm just curious how much room you have in there with the Dom 1.5.
    Also what intake tube are you using?

15. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

He has the Perrin inlet.

[​IMG]

16. digitizedsoul

Why thank you sir.
    One more question Robb, did you end up going speed density? If not, what MAF?

17. rsutton1223

It is speed density now but it was MAF before.

18. rsutton1223

Pretty cool to see this in print. If you get Drive Performance Magazine from Subaru...you'll find it on page 4.

[​IMG]

19. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

good stuff Robb! Proud to see!

20. rsutton1223

For awhile now, I have been thinking about what I want to do next with the car. There really isn’t much that hasn’t been touched at this point other than the transmission…so there really isn’t very many options left. As a general rule, once you get to this point, you either get rid of the car or start redoing what you have already done.

The idea of running the car on an airbag setup has always intrigued me. The ability to adjust ride height on the fly, inside the car is awesome on many levels. It allows us to run lower ride heights without the worry of steep driveways and other front lip crushing obstacles. My current ride height (while completely track functional and not stanced) even ran into issues at my old driveway to the point I had to drive down the wrong side of the road to get up without scraping.

The biggest downside to bags for me was performance. I am not willing to make the car handle worse for looks. I would rather have something that performs well than something that just looks good.

TopSpeed Motorsports has a great relationship with Air Lift Performance. For those of you that have seen their white track car, it actually has a TSM built and tuned motor. After talking with the guys at Air Lift about my car and what I wanted it to do, we decided to give their V2 setup a try in the car. Cicio (the owner of TSM) and the guys at Air Lift have a ton of track time on this setup so it is a proven performer that also has the ability to bring a car to professional hard parking levels.

So here is where I am at right now. All of the lines are run for the bags through the car and the compressor, tank and controller are installed. Ideally, the tank would have gone in the spare tire well, but thanks to two 13.5” JL subs…that just isn’t possible in my car. Instead, I am going for a clean look inside the trunk area that still allows me to fold down one side of the rear bench seat.

This part of the setup is pretty straight forward. Everything is included with the kit outside of thread sealer which is cheap and available anywhere. The kit actually fits very well where I have it. I ran the front lines up the sides of the interior (also where all of my audio wires are run) and through the side firewall grommets behind the dash. These feed directly into the fender wells behind the liner. It really couldn’t be a more perfect setup to run the lines and it is incredibly easy in the hatch.

The rear lines follow the vent lines in the trunk on either side that exit right behind the rear bumper next to the rear struts. Again…perfect for access to the connections and keeping the lines out of the way of moving parts.

[​IMG]

Today or tomorrow, I will be running the harness and all of those connections. The controller unit is going to be installed in my center console as clean as I can make it. The goal is to have everything integrated to look as stock as possible. What you see here is the exact 95756 WRX kit without any upgrades to the compressor or tank.

At first, I was really worried about mounting this weight on the factory trunk cover but as it turns out...it is reinforced with metal inside so it made for a perfect solution. Since my floor is slightly raised due to all of the audio, it is also sandwiched in by the backseats agains the rear deck. Everything is super secure and doesn't rattle one bit. The subs are also left with enough room to do their thing while the low heat output full range digitals still have air circulation through the front of the board venting out the open sides. I really couldn't have fallen into a better setup.

[​IMG]

I have been going back and forth on whether to bring this public or troll the hell out of the forums only to release shocker pictures when everything is said and done. While I have some friends that are awesome at that and it is funny as hell to see the reactions…that just isn’t how I roll. Add to that…I really suck at trolling anyways. I am going to be updating my thread as the process goes. I already have my photo-shoot locations picked for when it is done. I just hope I have time to get it all done before I have to go out of town next week. The final images should be pretty epic.

21. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Interesting. Have any pics of the bag/strut setup itself?

22. rsutton1223

I haven't taken any but I will soon. Work and life is in the way of the rest of the install right now. Should be back to wrenching by Thursday night/Friday.

23. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

clean setup. did you think about mounting it behind the smaller section of the back seat so if you needed you could fold down the larger section for more storage space?

24. rsutton1223

The setup is wider than that side of the seat and my son's car seat is on the passenger side anyway...so that side rarely if ever goes down.

25. digitizedsoul

Epic robb!
    Can I get the RCE T2's or are they already sold?

26. rsutton1223

They would work in the rear but not the front unfortunately after I thought about it. The hole centers on the knuckle for the STI and WRX are different. The rears bolt right up with no issue and all the other dimensions are the same. Kind of sucks they are different for no real reason actually.

27. digitizedsoul

Noooooooo.....!!!!!!
    Man I totally would have grabbed

28. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I just want to feel how it rides..I know what I'm used to seeing with airbags but would love to see what's possible

29. KGraska

KGraska Member

+1

I've never seen airbags associated with performance driving...after looking at their website it looks like they've come a long way. Can't wait to hear how they work for you.

30. rsutton1223

Here are some videos about how modern air suspension performs.

[YOUTUBE]dTrupjf-QFQ[/YOUTUBE]

http://vimeo.com/78528697

I should have some updates tonight and tomorrow!

[​IMG]

31. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I used to have a custom air suspension very similar to that on my 1g Turbo DSM. I will say that it surprisingly rode very well and like the video stated there was very little slop/roll compared to the old coilover setup I used to have. Just make darn sure your hose connections inside the cab is good. Mine blew off once while the tank was full of 120 psi of air......VERY loud and sounded like a gun shot going off.

32. rsutton1223

Teaser...

[​IMG]

33. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That is absolutely slammed. How's the ride thus far?

34. rsutton1223

So far so good. I wish I had a bigger pump and the rear would go a little higher (hits ride height and a little higher just fine...just won't jack completely up like the front does). I need to get the car aligned.

35. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Is there a way to tell that you are at a set height? My old system had pressure guages so you would set it at a certain pressure although getting it exact was not easy at times. Granted that was on old system 12 years ago.

36. liltoua

liltoua Member

Need moarrrrr low!!!!! HAHA j/k. Can't wait to see it in person.

37. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

He's gonna come in like this:

[​IMG]

38. rsutton1223

It's too bad I am out of town for the meet next week. :(

39. rsutton1223

It's handled digitally by pressure. There are 8 presets you can set.

40. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

so can you re-label the settings to go from 'pebble pushing' to 'because rally car' ? :D

41. rsutton1223

42. b reel

b reel Active Member

Robberto Martinez?

43. rsutton1223

haha! Yeah...I'll still have the same driving height I always have had.

44. b reel

b reel Active Member

adjustable rebound on these?

45. rsutton1223

Just damping and technically spring rate with the bags.

Cell phone picture that I was sending friends after I cleaned it...fully aired out.

[​IMG]

46. bullyhatch

bullyhatch Member

Looks amazing! I've been saving up for that suspension set up for a while. Is DD more comfortable over coilovers?

47. rsutton1223

It is so far. I am still dialing in my settings so I plan on writing something up after that is done.

48. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

That looks sick!! Super nice car.

49. rsutton1223

Air Lift at the Ultimate Track Car Challenge at VIR.

[youtube]1ScCHuaCLrM[/youtube]

50. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Very nice. I'm happy to hear that you still drive around with same height as before. Weld the doors shut next, becauseracecar?