RSutton's 2011 SSM WRX Hatch Progress

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by rsutton1223, May 11, 2011.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Forged pistons makes things more reliable at higher power levels...especially on Subarus...but who wants to stop there? That would just be silly.

2. rsutton1223

The first stage of my interior redesign by JPM Coachworks is complete.

For this round we did the following.

• Black Alcantara Top Dash w/Red Stitching
    • Black Alcantara and Black Leather Gauge Hood w/Red Stitching
    • Black Alcantara and Black Leather Shift Boot w/Red Stitching
    • Black Alcantara and Black Leather E-Brake Boot w/Red Stitching
    • Black Alcantara and Black Leather Center Console Arm Rest with Extra Padding Added
    • Black Alcantara and Black Leather Door Arm Rests with Extra Padding Added
    • Stock Steering Wheel Wrapped in Black Alcantara and Black Leather w/Red Stitching

2nd Phase will be the following coming soon...

• Removing 3M Carbon Vinyl
    • Color Matching Radio Bezel to Center Dash Trim
    • Black Alcantara Wrapped Center Console and Shifter Trim
    • Black Alcantara Roof
    • Black Alcantara A-Pillars
    • Sparco Milanos Done In Black Alcantara (center) and Black Leather (side bolsters) with Red Stitching
    • GT Spec D Steering Wheel in Black Alcantara and Black Leather w/Red 12 O'Clock Band
    • Top Door Piece in Black Alcantara to Continue Dash

Pictures of what has been completed so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Looking very good Robb.

4. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

So glad I don't have my STI anymore. That looks so damn good I would have probably sold my other project to get that interior in the STI.

5. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

You can and should do it to the Mini.

6. subigrl

subigrl Member

looks delicious

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Photos look great! :)

8. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

Man the center console is BA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. rsutton1223

I had the chance to run out to AMP on Thursday. Went through a tank and a half of gas. It is a really fun track for our cars.

This wasn't my fastest run of the day (1:40.6 I believe) but my faster runs were smoother...thus more boring to watch. Managed to dip down to 1:38.3 before the end of the day. Not bad for my first day out on a hot day with street tires!

[youtube]QDvMgc91sw8[/youtube]

10. rsutton1223

I had a little bit of time today so I cut together some video content I have had lying around. Dyno video/track/exhaust clips.

[youtube]xbXFR0G8iiU[/youtube]

11. whitepony22

whitepony22 Member

You passed me on the onramp going onto 400 yesterday afternoon. Car looks clean man.

12. rsutton1223

Thanks! Which car were you in?

13. whitepony22

whitepony22 Member

I was in my 05 OBP STi that was all dirty and has an equal length manifold.

14. rsutton1223

Pink intake manifold right? What did the car end up making?

15. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Hes headed back on Saturday to finish up the tune.

16. rsutton1223

Break in tune only so far?

17. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

No he was using 5w40 in Rotella in it because they aren't making 15w40 anymore and Doug noticed a oil pressure issue. Its a race engine so clearances are pretty large it needs something thicker so we switched him to a VR1 20w50 and it seems to have fixed it.

May actually switch it to a straight weight oil after the car gets a few more miles on it.

Oil pressure was fine running had 80lbs at 6000 rpms but it was low at idle. Doug and I both would rather be safe than sorry. Its much easier to fix these kind of problems before something bad happens.

Edit, they aren't making 15w40 in synthetic

18. rsutton1223

More JPM in the car...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Damn. SEX!

20. rsutton1223

So I went for a spirited drive around North Georgia today basically deleting 129. I wasn't pushing hard...just having some fun. It is amazing how boring in car footage is. I had planned on doing something more creative with this...but the footage is just too BORING.

[youtube]V1Zh_Ae_6hs[/youtube]

21. liltoua

liltoua Member

That's pretty cool, is that some kind of UI hardware/software that your using to show your speed/g force?

22. rsutton1223

Harry's Lap Timer app on the iPhone.

23. Texsun

Texsun Member

that is an awesome app! Car is sexy to :)

24. rsutton1223

New suspension is ordered...

25. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

What a tease.... what did you order?

NM I figured it out elsewhere :).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  26. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

ooooh ooooh, i know, i know! :p

27. rsutton1223

It almost got switched to something else last minute. :naughty:

28. griggs81

griggs81 Supporting Member

Glad to see you hitting the track.

29. rsutton1223

I took a short drive this morning after dropping my son off at daycare. It was the first time my car has seen anything lower than 95 degree ambient temps in awhile.

[​IMG]
    Go by rsutton198, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Lol taken in the middle of the street. I've done that before. But it was at like 2AM. And in a median. Goodness!

31. rsutton1223

That road is closed right now because a bridge is out. I didn't have to worry about any traffic.

32. rsutton1223

Started working on styling the interior up a little bit today. Still working on what I really want to do...but this is a start.

SPT Turbo Heat Shield

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SPT Oil Cap

[​IMG]

33. rsutton1223

Sometimes it is the little things that make the difference. My center caps finally came in.

[​IMG]

34. rsutton1223

So the seats were set to be ready yesterday when Alex at JPM texted me the bad news. The embroidery machine went down last night half way through the final logo for the seats.

It is going to be next week on the seats. He was really upset that it couldn't get done today. It's all good though...a little bit more time is not going to kill anything and stuff like this happens in custom manufacturing. The good thing is that their customer service is over the top regardless of who you are...so I will patiently wait a couple more days for the seats to be finished. It will actually give a little bit more time to finish up a couple other things we are doing with the interior.

Or so I thought when I posted that on a different thread on the updates on the interior. Last night, Alex got in touch with me and said "I have a surprise for you, check your thread on the Interior section of NASIOC"

And I found this post...

Holy hell...they are coming out even better than I had imaged!!! :banana:

35. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Dude that looks sick!

36. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Dead sexy

37. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

WOW! just wow. This is turning out to be one of the most complete builds on a WRX that I have seen. All of it done to my taste, and nothing over the top. Love it!

38. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

Those seats were awesome and now they are even better... How much more suede you plan on putting in your car haha so jealous man

39. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Rob's.... SUBMW

40. rsutton1223

We got one of the seats in yesterday. It is amazing how much it transforms the interior already. I am completely blown away. I can't wait to get the other one in and apply some finishing touches on the interior.

I dropped off the other seat (the one I was using in the drivers seat) so it could get done yesterday. Keep in mind, the black harness pass throughs have not come in from Sparco yet so those will be added to the installed seat as well. This is also not the final steering wheel design. JPM should have the new wheel in and recovered sometime this week.

Here are some pictures to pass the time. I am going to do a real shoot of the interior once everything is in and complete. We have something insane in process for the A pillars but I am not sure if that will be done yet when I everything else goes in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Very jealous of you interior over here!

42. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Wow that interior is awesome. Subaru should contract JPM and supply the equipment to help them out for their Spec-Cs.

43. rsutton1223

Audio additions on the horizon.

[​IMG]

44. rsutton1223

For the WBM, we put in a regular hood in place of my SMY in the interest of time. For those of you that don't know, the SMY is a pain to wrap because it is not symmetrical. After some begging and bribing, Joe at JPM did me a huge favor and wrapped my SMY so I could get my gauges back. Up until this point, they were tied off under the dash.

I still need to figure out something for my wideband gauge though. I hate where it is right now. I used to have it in the storage compartment below the air controls, but now it won't fit like I had it because of the STI center console swap. I really wish there were more gauge mounting options for the GR's...

I will be switching out the Prosports for some Defi's soon. I am not convinced the Prosports are entirely accurate and the quality just isn't there.

[​IMG]

45. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

There's some damn exciting work going on here. Jealous beyond words.

Also, those business cards look pretty slick. ;)

46. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

WB in the vent? It was perfect for me bc the vent was circular but with some careful cutting on a spare vent it could work. Was in perfect view for me too.

[​IMG]

47. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

There are no words that really do that interior justice.

48. shu

shu Member

Amazing build. Love seeing great taste coupled with meticulous attention to detail. Bravo.

49. rsutton1223

Thanks guys.

CP: I have thought about that but did you basically lose the vent completely? It is really hot this time of year...

Well...I know what I am doing tonight...

[​IMG]

50. rsutton1223

The RCE Tarmac 2's are installed alignment scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Car in the garage

[​IMG]

Before and After Rear

[​IMG]

Installed Rear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before and After Front

[​IMG]

Installed Front

[​IMG]

Camber Plates