September 21st Mountain Run

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by oneiguy, Aug 25, 2008.

?

Sept 21st run times

Poll closed Sep 20, 2008.
  1. 7-8 am

54.8%
  2. 2-3 pm

45.2%
  1. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Alright here are the final plans. We will meet at Wal-mart 270 Walmart Way
    Dahlonega, GA 30533 at 8:45-9:00 a.m. for the morning people. We will leave around 9:15. Depending on how big the groups are we will split up into groups. Get a couple good runs in and head over to Vogel State park around 12 or so. The entrance to get into Vogel is $3 per car. I will break off on during the morning and go get food and supplies. The afternoon group can come meet up then. BBQ for a few and then around 2-3 head back out and drive some more. Depending on how many people decide to eat is how much I will collect. Should be around 10-15 per person. If you need directions or have any questions shoot me a pm. Otherwise I look forward on seeing you next week.

If some of you still want to go up early (7-8). Shoot me a pm and I will put you in touch with a couple people that will be up there.

AM
    1. oneiguy +1 (Drinks)
    2.Kingwrex (Plates)
    3.2thache (chips)
    4.keegan +1 (utensils)
    5.jason +1(jake) (lighter, fluid, tongs, spatula) For both u and Jake
    6.98silverstang (Paper towels)
    7.GTscoob (hot dog buns)
    9.alex#2 +1 (sliced cheese for burgers)
    10.07Ltd#767 +1(jeb) (sides)
    11.deke?
    12.strayen (not eating)
    13.tougetuned (More chips)
    14.yungdz 350 +1 (chips)
    15.yungdZ +1 (trash bags)
    17.jp+1(1 bg briquettes)
    18.nsx
    19.devon?
    20.slowwrx (not eating)
    21.wagunzpwn (Salad)
    22.05 limited (Buns, condiments)
    23.4sevens(not eating)
    24.Trey (sides)
    25.Face

PM
    1.oneiguy
    2oneiguy's parents(yes they can drive) :)
    2.fkuihdcncr +1 (Burgers 15)
    3.Jason
    4.king
    5.fku brother SRT8+1 (Burgers 15)
    6.deke?
    7.scoobaru+1 (hot dogs 20?)
    8.yungdz+1
    9.yungdz 350+1
    10.o5 limited (Buns, condiments)
    11.airmax95 (briquettes)

Here is the link for Vogel http://www.gastateparks.org/info/vogel/

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

sounds good to me. I prefer the later one seeing how I usually work sat nights...but that's just me...thx for organizing!

3. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

^^ You got it. Look forward to seeing you there.

4. FACE

FACE Active Member

I will mark the calander...King will the blue bullet be up and running? :sx:

5. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

where is everyone gonna meet?

6. Eco Auto Clean

so morning or afternoon and where we meeting? be a good place to start....lol

7. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I will definitely try to make this. Either time frame will work for me.

8. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Better morning for me.

9. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

We normally start at the Wal-mart in Dahlonega. And as for what time just post up you preference, and the I will go with the majority.

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

hmmmm....Ill have to add this to my Calendar. :)

11. FACE

FACE Active Member

AM :sx: You should have a poll :naughty:

12. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Where exactly will we be going? I'm assuming Blood Mountain/Wolf Pen Gap and then hang out at the lake in the middle?

Do they have grills there? I forsee us wagon guys getting stuck with all the luggage...

I'm in BTW

13. undrgrndrdr15

wanna meet up and roll up there together since we are both in canton?

14. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Sept. 21st Run

poll started for all you newbs.

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  15. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'm voting for 2-3 PM, because the first option means I have to leave my apartment at like 6 AM to meet in Dahlonega by 7. Us Atlanta Metro guys have a pretty long way to go. Not saying I couldn't do the early one though.

Note: Not even sure if I can come yet (can't commit myself that far in advance).

16. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

If I'm available, I'm down.

I've heard weekend runs of more than 5+ cars is not generally a good idea...I've never done a mountain run other than when I'm in transit to some destination and happen to be on fun roads, but this isn't going to be an invitation for trouble, is it?

I just hope nobody acts too stupid

17. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

sure

18. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Depending on the turn out we will split into groups. Some that have been up before, and some that have never been and just want to enjoy the scenery. It's all about enjoying your car and the road at your own pace.

19. Eco Auto Clean

non idiotic driving ftw! lol...i guess once we get the voting down we'll decide who brings what?

20. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Some of us may have seen this before.;) It's some good reading.

1. NO DOUBLE LANING/CROSSING INTO THE OTHER LANE!!!
    It's very dangerous to do this for obvious reasons. Almost every turn is a
    blind one on the touge. No matter what conditions you are driving in on
    the touge there will be blind spots and unknowing drivers around. Most
    drivers are not expecting to see cars in their lane coming at them head on and neither should you.

2. Know your limits... AND STAY WITHIN THEM!!!
    Drive at about 70% (some of you may know the term 7 tenths) of your ability, you must leave room for error. Pushing yourself over the edge may not be too far from reality if you get yourself into a situation you can't handle.

3. No passing!!!
    Unless they yield to you in the turnout... Touge roads are usually public, with that in mind there may be people that live in these areas, some are cruising and others prefer to drive on their own at their own pace... be respectful of the other people on the touge.

4. Leave plenty of room between cars when in a group.
    This should be obvious to most of you. You cannot compensate for another driver's mistake. It takes us approximately 3/4's of a second to react to something that happens on the road. If you are traveling at high speed that automatically decreases... which will usually result in damage!!! And don't forget almost every turn on the touge is a blind one.

5. Make your touge group as small as possible.
    This gives less attention to you and why you are there. Keeping this in mind the other rules can be easily followed especially leaving enough room between
    cars.

6. No need to break any moving violations on the way to the touge.
    You're going to have fun in the mountains already... just save it for the touge.

7. Scope out the spot before you start your touge session.
    Only on those occasions when you're cruising should you ignore this... but then some of us "CRUISE" faster than others!!! But Drift or Grip, whatever your session may involve, you should always check out the run. You never know what to expect around each turn on the touge.

8. Watch out for wildlife!!!
    Deer and other animals are unpredictable, not to mention tree branches, bushes and tumbleweeds. Deer, Raccoons and Possums are especially unpredictable... look out for animals they cause just as much if not more damage than an incident with a car.

9. Do not take your ego to the touge.
    There will always be someone faster than you... unless you're TAKUMI hahahaha, But if the person behind you is faster... pull over and let him/her pass.

10. Stay alert, don't have things around that will distract you on your runs.
    Loud music, nagging girl friends or pussy boy friends may cause you to panic or become distracted. Touge sessions require a lot of concentration.

11. Check your equipment before you go. ie, tires, pressure, alignment, brakes, etc.
    There is almost no room for error on the
    touge. If you must go driving on shitty equipment, then drive with even more
    room for error (5-6 tenths)

12. Look as far ahead of you as possible.
    Your body subconciously follows what your mind (eyes) tell it to do, or go in this case. Just think about walking. You don't look left and walk straight. Try it.

21. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

I figure we could do the loop, and BBQ at Vogel.

22. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

i certainly hope so!

23. 2thAche

2thAche Member

As far as what's a bad group and what's a good group, that just depends on who shows up. Larger groups are actually safer in general, because a large group generally runs slow.

19/129 is where people get in trouble because of the passing lanes, usually because of ego and/or trying to keep up with someone too fast for them, or driving outside your limit (or not knowing what those limits are).

I like 2-4 car groups and fast runs but larger groups are fun for the stops.

24. jeb

jeb Member

I'll most likely be there if its in the morning as there are NFL games in the afternoon. Unless I can somehow get a tuner in my car before then, but that might be a bad idea for a mountain drive.

25. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

ok...wtf is a 'touge'? Is that some hidden mountain lingo for road? I ran it through dictionary.com in an attempt to not look so stupid, but apparently someone isn't speaking English here, because it's no where to be found :hsnono:

26. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Touge (峠, tōge or toe-ghey) is a Japanese word literally meaning "pass." It refers to a mountain pass or any of the narrow, winding roads that can be found in and around the mountains of Japan and other geographically similar areas.

27. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

touge is a new type of tofu.

i'll try to show up and eat all the bbq.

28. Jake

Jake Active Member

I'll be there, riding with someone or perhaps driving their car....

29. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

:rofl:

30. undrgrndrdr15

i will be there.... anyoen that wants to meet in canton to head up there is welcome i will be following oneiguuy up there since i wont know where im going

31. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

You should bring Chewy

32. 2thAche

2thAche Member

I thought touge was like the louge but with 2 people ;)

33. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

i should be there :D

34. '05limited

'05limited Member

I'll be there, my car will definitely be there by then.

35. FACE

FACE Active Member

Just remember to follow ALL touge rules no exceptions!!! Also bring basic tools if you have them, check your spare, and bring your RADIOS. We will decide on a channel prior to rolling out.

:wavey:

36. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

Im down for the run. Either time is fine with me, so i guess il just check back to see what time.

37. Danielle

Danielle New Member

WE WILL BE THERE!!! :wavey:

not......:wtc:

38. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

I wish you guys were going to be there. :wavey:

39. 2thAche

2thAche Member

#1 rule of the touge: There is no touge.

40. FACE

FACE Active Member

agreed!

41. Jake

Jake Active Member

chewy wouldn't make it. I need to pull the motor and do an overhaul. Has a bad valve knock at idle, the harmonic balancer is broken and makes the crankshaft rattle.

42. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

if you guys have room for another newb, I wouldn't mind poppin' the wagons' cherry!

I'll stay in the back.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  43. Eco Auto Clean

I'm a virgin to dahlonega and last run I went on I had factory wheels/tires n factory suspension....

44. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Just take it easy and get to know your ride.

45. Eco Auto Clean

wasn't planning on doing anything different. I was just jumpin on the virgin posts....

older bro bringing srt8 cherokee so +1
    and lil bro riding w me...

so 3 people/2 cars in my group so far...

46. undrgrndrdr15

how many wagons are going.... im one

47. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

:rlyo: ... :unamused:

+1

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  48. Eco Auto Clean

virgin to dahlonega is what I meant. lol.

49. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

i may have a g35 that wants to come if no one minds?

50. undrgrndrdr15

if this is gonna be open then i will have an s2000 that will want in on it...