Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic (5w-40)

Discussion in 'General Community' started by UpSideDownDesi, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Out of curiosity, I ran my motor to 8k with Rotella T (not T6). I am not bothering to do an analysis simply because of the amount of oil I burnt off (approximately 1.5qt). I believe that having that discrepancy alone would skew my results. However, the car felt just fine (despite the placebo below). My fumoto may be leaking slightly, hence the missing oil. I have some cardboard sitting beneath the car to see if that's the case. I am not 100% if it is or is not, I just found a good bit of "gunk" on that area of the undertray.

Car feels so great with fresh oil though :rofl:

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Alex, James (ihadmail) is a very very good friend of mine up in Columbia, SC. He works for the nuclear plant up there.

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm gonna get James to do some oil analysis on my BMW. I still can't believe that BMW has a 15,000 mile oil change interval on this car. Yes thats 15,000 miles.

Of course I have to use Castrol TSW 10w 60 oil but still I can't believe it lasts that long.

4. WJM

WJM Banned

Apparently the compooter calculates your driving habits in order to calculate your oil change interval....but the "base" is 15k.

What is this magical oil? I've never touched or seen it...

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Correct. And I'm gonna go by it too since the car is stock.

I said the oil above. Castrol TSW 10w 60.
    [​IMG]

It's about $10 a quart but if I can get 2 or 3 regular oil changes (3K for the Subaru) then it's cheaper than what I was doing.

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I think it is just Castrol Edge 10W60 now. I thought I read somewhere they stopped selling the TWS branded oil?

Edit - TWS is still sold in the US as TWS since they are not importing Castrol Edge in 10W60 right now. BUT - Castrol Edge is the same oil in the other weights as the European TWS oil. Advance has a sale w/5q of Edge and one of the new 15K mile Bosch filters that are suppose to be so good for $29.99.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  7. Alex

Oh, the fancy Euro blend :)

8. WJM

WJM Banned

Interesting.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

BMW told me to NOT use the Edge and to use the TWS only in the M motor. And I'd need 5.5 qts.

I'll buy TWS as long as I can get it.

10. integroid

That is because BMWUSA wants you to pay them the $10 a quart. They are the main reason why Castrol is not importing the edge in that weight. You shouldnt be using edge in your car until they start selling it in the US in that weight:) I am glad to see that Castrol is actually selling a good oil in the US now:)

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I've always been a fan of Castrol oil. Used to used the GC until my local supplier quit stocking it.

12. integroid

GC Castrol is a good oil and their typical dino stuff is also good. That is what I used to break in my motor. The other synthetics they sell here, not so good other than the Edge.

13. ihadmail

ihadmail New Member

I work at a nuclear power plant

So why would a new motor not work out well for analysis? I would wait until the rings are fully seated before switching to the synthetic and doing any tests.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  14. integroid

Can I get a tour;)

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

no!

16. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

straight out of jug would be good comparo for old Shell Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic and new Shell Rottella 5w-40 T6 Synthetic.

I just switched to T6 this oil change, plan on running it for 3k and see how it stands against old mix. I still think they reduced amount of additives in T6.

17. ihadmail

ihadmail New Member

I am going on a search for both types of rotella as soon as my girl goes to work today. I will hopefully be able to get the analysis done within the week. I don't run the oil lab, but I'm friends with one of the guys that does.

Sorry but I can't give tours. Thanks a lot terrorists :unamused:

EDIT: I was reading somewhere, but can't for the life of me find the thread again that the new Sulphor content was reduced to 200ppm or something like that. I will be able to tell for sure as soon as I get it analyzed.

18. integroid

It should be "Thanks A Lot Bin Laden"

19. WJM

WJM Banned

[​IMG]

20. ihadmail

ihadmail New Member

I just bought a gallon of T6 and 5 gallons of T. Results as soon as my guy has a chance to run the samples.

21. ihadmail

ihadmail New Member

Well I just ran the Shell Rotealla T 5w40 and Shell Rotella T6 5w40 through a Perkin Elmer Spectrum 100 FT-IR Spectrometer. The oils are nearly identical. I don't have any real way to determine the levels of each additive like I thought I would have. If anyone knows how to read the peaks that would be great. I can't get to photobucket to upload the file from work, so I posted it over on iwsti.com, here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lit...hell-rotella-t6-synth-5w40-2.html#post2793721

Enjoy.

22. integroid

Thanks for the info ihadmail. I figured they were probably pretty close if not identical oil with a different label. All of these people that freaked out for no reason:)

23. WJM

WJM Banned

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH EEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GGGGGGGGGGEEeEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Alex

Even the Shell guy on Bob's forum confirmed this. I posted the difference in a previous post in this thread. Thanks for looking into it ihadmail :)