So the story Continues

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by justinxecushyn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Car 1: 2004 PSM WRX BUILT (Sold 1/2014)

Engine in my wrx died :( sooo...upgrade(s) began. After several new builds, several more blown motors. I decided to do things differently and purchase an all out built long block. This has been a learning experience for me, one that has been very expensive but along the way, I've been able to meet a lot of people, learn a lot about my car, and over all though it has been very emotionally taxing, i'm happy with the outcome.

Many many thanks to the Allpro guys Brandon, Wes, Ryan, Jon, RJ, everyone up there that has done anything for me, Matt and the Ball Racing crew, Brian "B reel", Matt C, Doug and Cicio, and others for all the help advice, and assistance. Been a lonnnnnggggg process but nearly complete...for now. Can't wait until it's drivetime.

Current Setup

B.R.E.D. Built Long-block:
    -AP 2.5 Short block
    -New EJ257
    -New BRED Rods
    -King Rod Main Bearings
    -BRED Forged Piston 2618
    -Oil Passage Modifications
    -New OEM Case Bolts and O-Rings
    -Main Journals Line Honed
    -Crank, Rods, and Pistons Balanced​
    B.R.E.D. HeadStg1
    -Ferrea +1mm valves
    -Ferrea Viton Valve Steam Seals
    -GSC Beehive Valve springs
    -Full Valve job with head refresh
    -GSC S1 cams
    -ARP headstuds
    -AllPro heat resistant intake manifold spacers
    -CRP Pro Series Timing Belt kit w/water pump
    -Grimmspeed EBC
    -APS 3" Inlet
    -Walbro 400
    -Agency Power fuel system (lines, rails)
    -Invidia Turboback (3" downpipe, Q300 Catback)
    -Turbo XS FMIC
    -DOM 2.5XT-R
    -TiAl QR bypass
    -2007 STi Transmission
    -Competition Clutch stage 3 clutch
    -Megan Race mounts
    -Tomei EL Headers​

Suspension:
    DF210 Springs

Sold Car :(

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. Snapped on the way back from OR. Drove across country with it :) OR to GA
    [​IMG]

Stock
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  3. techlord

techlord Active Member

very nice bro! You get her tuned yet? I really want to see those #'s...not a fan of those particular cams but all else I plan to have on my bugeye one day.

4. Nope she's not complete yet.

I drove Brandon's car with the motor in before and it scared the shit out of me lol. The pull on it was insane.

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

What are you considering doing for IC?

6. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

jeb has the old BC 280's on his bugeye. they are pretty nice

7. I'm back and forth on Top/Front. I don't "really" want a front just because i prefer the clean mouth look vs the look @ me im running a big turbo and a big front mount.

But depending on how much power i can pump out with a better top mount, and a scoop then we will see. Maybe get a water spray or something.

8. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

GL on it man, let me know if you are looking for a 6spd. I might be selling mine soon.

9. I defiantly would love to upgrade in the future to a 6. just have to save up again lol. raman noodles ftw.

10. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Those wheels look very familiar. Where did you get them from?

11. They came with the car.

12. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Yeah, they lope really nice, it's one of the better sounding subarus (if he'd fix the exhaust leak). Rick - buy my 272s...they're on the cheap

Congrats with the build - should be a fun time

13. techlord

techlord Active Member

TMIC will be just fine

14. Thats what i was thinking as i'm not looking to make a monster pwr car. 300-350 max. if more comes then thats ok too. :)

15. 07Ltd#767

yeah...i remember when i said the same thing...

16. LoL what are you running right now?

17. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Nice car.

Might wanna add some RA or PPG's on your list.

18. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I'd say the only car he has officially running right now is about 180hp

His STI was putting down 450 before he parted it out

19. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

you think the tore-ass has that much power? I'm thinking around 140 at most...

20. Yea 400 is def a bit much for me.

21. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

We all said that at one point :) Well maybe not ALL of us!

22. 07Ltd#767

and that's only on a cool day, on TopSpeed's dyno that reads 30-40% high :rofl:

and that's not exactly true...the STi is running, just not where I want it to be

23. whew whoo turbo finally arrived today so Brandon can finish his magic. not sure what #'s to expect but i'm looking forward do the power increase.

24. Work still in process but as of right now. 344whp/?tq has been squeezed out. Turbo needs to be ported/polished due to boost creep but i think that's a pretty good start. Can't wait to drive her.

25. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

go go brandon. Now I know why he doesn't have time to do the the work for me. I hate you.

26. LOL. No worries i'm sure he will fit you in there. He def has a lot on his plate.

27. Wholly chit is the end result. I'll post dyno sheet tomorrow or whenever i get it but the car is a beast. Bit of turbo lag but when it spool it SPOOLS. Can't wait to get The turbo issues resolved and a larger TMIC.

[​IMG]

28. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Well I'll give Brandon a call tomorrow, maybe now he has some time for me XD. Looks nice from what I can tell. O_O

29. Dyno sheet added.

30. Flying the rally flag [​IMG]

31. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

after glancing at that pic a second time....what area do you live in?

it does but it doesn't look like my neighborhood. if anything it's the same builder. and the houses are so close/driveways so short/style so same it makes me wonder

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

What turbo you running? Anything bigger than a 20g you want FMIC........UNLESS you go meth injection or have something nice like the 08+ STi TMIC. Else you will be fighting heatsoak.

Prime example of a nice TMIC big turbo is Rick's coupe with my old motor in it and a t3/t04S turbo (GT35R journal basically). On race gas it made close to what I was making (like within 15-20 hp). Now on regular gas the heat soaking will kill ya. And I'm not too sure if they used meth on it or not but it helps tremendously in cutting out the heatsoak.

33. I live in Cumming. Not too far from the Avenues.

Some are def too close luckly i have one that oddly placed nice space between my neighbors so i dont hear him boinking his wife with the ugly stick...or husband lol

34. Right now OBX Green. With that WRX tmic...definaltly sucked but i've since put an STi one in there and it's fairly decent no issues. I'm thinking of rolling with a fp green or a aps sr56.

35. I guess i should update my journal.

Engine is being rebuilt :/. Brandon is at it again.

Sourcing out a new turbo. Leading towards an APS sr56...we will see if not then i'll get another 20g or green.

36. Alex

What happened?

37. I'm not entirely sure but oil issues definatly played a part in it. It had a bad knocking sound that would come and go and then got worse and stayed. Prior to that, the avcs/head/turbo line had a bad leak i'm thinking that had something to do with it. Starving the turbo of oil and the motor causing it to have a few issues.

Guess one of the + is that i'll have a nice set of forged pistons going in.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  38. Ringland was busted.

39. APS SR56 will be the replacement turbo. Should be here tuesday/wednesday. Should be interesting.

40. Good Idea, I should do the same with mine :)

41. I have another one in the garage. Might buy a few more.

42. Yay I get to update my journal.

Great hardwork yet again by Brandon.

Picked up my "Sally" yesterday. Defiantly much better than when it went in. Few kinks to be worked out. Slight knock sound that i'm going to keep an ear out on but i'm going to chalk it up as being the sound of forged pistons. Seems to be an issue with the boost kicking in wayyyy late, 6,500 late. Going to check vac lines and start there followed by replacing wastegate actuator. Hopefully its one out of two.

43. New update.

Lot's of new lessons learned. Special thanks to B reel, Brandon (All Pro), Doug (TopSpeed), Matt (wagunz_pwn)

Piston failure caused motor to meet its demise.

When more updates on the new build comes i'll update the thread. Was able to salvage the 280's :), I'm still going to run the SR55.

44. Alex

So I take it that knock was more than slight then?

45. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

looks like you need a shortblock *hint hint*

46. To say the least...it was slightly more than just a knock.

How about some pics of the carnage:

Oil Pan Contents (quarter for size reference):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. Yea i do. I'm actually saving for your short block.

One of the lessons learned, dont buy a "good deal" used short block...as you you wont know til later that the motor as the previous owner was addicted to Meth...

But yea you're block is in my cross hairs.

48. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I was in the same boat as you but thank god I had the machine take it apart and look it over before it was installed. Found all 4 Cobb/JE Pistons cracked.

49. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Just cause the owner was addicted to Meth isn't bad....my 170K mile EJ205 drank more meth than prolly anyone on this board. And that block to this day is still alive at 195K.....just got new rings and that's it.

But I agree any used block needs to be inspected.

50. Time and Time again, Brandon comes through. So again huge thanks to Brandon and AllPro and Brian BReel.

Got some amazing good news relating to the build. Defiantly can't wait until shes all repaired and drivable. She going to be fun to say the least.

2.0 built heads
    2.5 built block