So the story Continues

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by justinxecushyn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Well enjoy inefficient and laggy.

2. Laggy yes, but i dont know about inefficient.

3. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Well as Ball stated that motor was not built for 80lb turbo. Therefore inefficient.

Not putting it down and I wish you the very best of luck!

4. If it doesn't suit the needs, nothing wrong with trial and error (as long as i dont blow up the motor), if the 750 doesn't do well, i'll def be going the Blouch route.

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

If I had known you were going that big I would have suggested a sleeved block, GSC S2 cams and some porting work on the heads.

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Still baffles me why people just dont go rotated to begin with?

7. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

You know how much I love rotated setups. The DOM 1.5 has made me reconsider my stance on it slightly.

If you are 100% going to be happy long term at 400hp then a Dom 1.5 is for you, if you want more than that go rotated.

8. integroid

Well obviously he is going for well north of 400whp if he just bought a stock location 80lb min turbo.

9. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

He's a number whore.

10. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Of what blown engines?

11. LOL. Best Response ever.

12. I also must add that though i bought the 80lb turbo i dont plan on immediatly using the power that is available. It's for future growth as well as something that will keep me happy for now. I've learned from mistakes to make sure i plan accordingly but instead of buying another turbo down the road, and having to go rotated etc, i would rather keep the stock look. I've always been one for stock looking setups.

13. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

stock looking and 80lb turbo....so no front mount or anything like that.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

has front mount

15. ^^ What he said.

16. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Sorry but there is nothing stock looking about a 80 lb turbo.

17. True. But stocker than rotated.

18. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Seems a waste, but more power to ya! What sized turbine housing?

19. Must...pass...readiness. Anyone has rom raider or something to clear readiness? Put nearly 500 miles on it in almost two days but still readiness isn't clear. Evap, oxygen, and one more i can't remember i think cat.

[​IMG]

20. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Was that you I waved at going into Cumming Central park yesterday afternoon?

21. Yep that was me.

22. In with the new:

[​IMG]

23. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Will the turbo fix the readiness issue?

24. Not sure. We will find out july 5th (unless someone wants to trade tuning days with me).

25. A week away and it feels like a lifetime. can't wait to get my car back running properly.

26. Updated Beginning Post with a cleaner list of build.

27. In with ATP GT35r. Purchased DOM3, was told that it would be an additional 3 days before it was shipped. Tune day 7/24.

28. Found out that tomorrow may be the day. Krossing Fingers.

29. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

You got the Dom3 in already?

30. No they told me that it would be an additional 3 days before it would be drop shipped. So I bought a ATP GT35r instead.

31. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Should have called another vendor...

32. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Congrats on making 18g power. LOL 360ish hp and 3010ish tq.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  33. integroid

I thought you said you were going to start listening to the people that have been down this road before?

34. It's better than zero power which i had before. Sure i was expecting more out of the turbo, and i'm not sure why it didn't. It is a very good turbo. It will allow me to do something that i've been wanting to do for a long time now which is drive my car. I'm happy with it for now, and I will be later on getting a dom 1.5 later, I ordered one and the time delay that it would have taken to get here would have caused me to push the tune date further, I needed my car, I got a great deal on the turbo i have now, canceled the order and got my car running. Sure its not "ideal" but neither is not having my car.

35. integroid

It is known that those turbos do not make very good power. That is probably the reason why you got it for the price you did.

36. Buying Dom 1.5. ImportImageRacing

37. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

And the crowd goes wild!

:wiggle:

38. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Just read the whole thread. You would have saved money and time if you would have just ordered the Dom 1.5 to begin with. Moral of the story...listen to those that have built a lot of Subarus...

My Dom 1.5 is happy. ;)

39. You're running a Dom 1.5?

40. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

He is and made almost 400 hp on a stock engine 2011 WRX on 93 octane.

[​IMG]

41. rsutton1223

I am.

42. rsutton1223

I guess the thing you really need to remember here is that there is no "being different" or new ground to pave with Subaru's. Outside of the new twin scroll Dom 1.5 that was just released, every combination of parts has been hashed out over and over again on our cars.

People who are experienced with Subaru's know what works and what doesn't.

The general consensus these days is that if you want power around 400 on pump and close to 500 on e85 with quick spool, get the 1.5 Dom. If you want more power than that...it is time to go rotated.

That said, those decisions are made before your motor build...not after. As Matt chimed in and said, when you were considering a huge ass turbo, he would have built the motor differently. Your setup as it sits will be the happiest on a 1.5 Dom setup.

43. rsutton1223

Yep! And my tune is conservative because of the stock bottom end. :wiggle:

44. Do you live near the alpharetta area?

I agree being different is something that didn't work in this case. Sure it make power but unless i'm on 285 or 400 it's not usable.

I'm bowing out on my decision of being different aka hard headed, for now Dom 1.5 will be the way to go, if i'm feeling lucky maybe 10cm instead of 8 but either way lesson learned.

45. rsutton1223

I am actually in Alpharetta.

Get the 10cm. That is the one I have and there was virtually no spool loss.

46. ON day i would love to meet up and experience it first hand. I've heard a lot but never have actually experienced one.

47. Jake

Jake Active Member

i feel like youve wasted a ton of money on that car, but then again so did i on my old wrx. hence why i don't own it anymore....

48. Yep i have. I like where it is now. If any major thing happens again it's gone. I really love my car. It has a lot of sentimental meanings for me.

49. stirhino

stirhino Member

Sucks that you just wasted that money on a tune and now you gotta do it again! Should have listened. I know I cant afford another tune for quite some time. My car has too much money into it to waste more.