SOA not covering 2013 sti rod bearing

Discussion in 'General Community' started by atlryan, May 11, 2014.

1. Goodwill is their way of saying that we are fixing the car out of the goodness of our heart..And it's still your fault it broke..I would make sure and very carefully read any and all papers that they give you to sign before,during and after the repair..Good news to hear otherwise.

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

sounds legit

3. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I wouldn't think so. It probably has more to do with taxes (making it a write-off/loss) and the fact that it escalated past the warranty stage. They also might just be telling you its goodwill as a deterrent for coming back if it ever happened again. In other words...you are on your own next time. If they did it under warranty this time, you could say "look it was warranty last time why not this time?". Goodwill makes it so that they don't have to do anything the next time, if that happens, if they don't want to.

4. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

nothing good about that will lol

5. Coldcat83

Coldcat83 Member

I could see that Sutton I am sure it's a little of both. I'm sure if god forbid the motor goes out again and they try to deny it under warranty or whatever the case. I just don't see how a goodwill repair with the car under warranty defense could hold up in court if it even made it that far. The vehicle is under warranty period. Regardless of how they label the repair the documentation is there. I could see SOA denying the claim because they're blaming the dealership for the "run low on oil problem" and the dealership trying to avoid paying for it. Knowing that SOA isn't going to tell the customer their certified dealership messed your car up. I also do believe that Subaru labels all warranty work with motor issues in one whole 2.5L/2.0L grouping for the purpose of not having to put out a recall on all vehicles with the ringland/bearing issues.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  6. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Oh I agree with you for sure. They choose their wording very carefully on purpose.

7. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Wow...What a read.

Is your STI the one with red wheels? I saw it while I was picking up some parts..

Glad the cost of repair is covered. Personally, I would sell the car and either get another one or go with another brand. I really like Subarus but sometimes the people that work for the brand ruin it for me. GG

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Glad they are going to cover it (finally)... Not really caring for this "Goodwill" bullshit. To me, they are basically still saying its your fault. And when it blows up again (and it will).. You'll be on your own. I would sell that car. I was already pretty much done with Subaru last year, after they couldn't find me a WRX in the whole Southeast and told me I'd have to order one. Then I read this thread and it sealed their fate. The issue with your car started in 2007, and 6 years later they can't fix it? DONE.

9. orndog

orndog Member

Is there not a way to take it to a reputable shop, pay a bit, and check to see if this issue still exists? The issue itself seems to be too common but still random. While it sucks to pay to double check their work, it might be worth it.

10. atlryan

atlryan Member

Yes, I do think they are calling it goodwill so they can avoid dealing with a recall or something similar. I'm sure they are thinking that dealing with a case by case basis is better, and while we are at it try and push the customer as far as possible to minimize repair costs. Pretty crummy if you ask me.

YUP! red wheels is me. Yeah I'm not sure yet what I'm gonna do. I really do love the car, but the experience sucks big time. I'm really thinking about getting a 2005, but I need a DD not a project car ya know.

That's another problem I have, this motor has been here since 2003 and has changed very little, yet there are still major mechanical failures with it. I don't understand why all the problems haven't been sorted yet, why Subaru continues to use crummy pistons and crummy bearings, and a crap oil pickup tube. They know what these cars are for, they advertise constantly with this in mind, yet don't fix fatal flaws in the design. I'm sure every STI would last longer if it was never floored, never taken over 3k rpm, and never driven fast. But that's really not the point, is it?

Not really, since it was a problem with the bearing they would have to take apart the entire engine, and even then couldn't tell whether the bearing would hold up or not. One thing I thought of though was to pull the engine, change the bearings to good aftermarket ones, and see if it blows up again. If not then it's the oiling system. If so then it's the crap subi bearings. AND if the bearings went again I doubt SOA could tell they were aftermarket so warranty should be intact. If I had infinite time/money I totally would, but I don't.:wtc: I need to hurry up and win the lottery.

11. digitizedsoul

The stock bearings are actually pretty good.
    What I would like to see is if your spun bearing and the ones next to it were "ovalled" in shape at all.
    If they are out of round, it's from detonation and uneven applications of force to the bearing which will get it out of round and make it spin.

I say this, because I spun a set of king bearings in my built motor in 48hrs after getting it setup due to this very cause.
    since you had the stock tune, this sounds likely.

12. digitizedsoul

Since SOA is covering this, and the car is @ SOG, and it was a spun rod bearing, you need to be actively engaged in the rebuild process.
    I know who will be doing the wrenching, and he doesn't know a piston head from his sisters titty, I would lay a 100$ bill down that he will not properly evacuate the motor / heads of all metal bearing shavings.

He couldn't even install my dealer installed SPT heat shield back when I bought mine there without using my intercooler as a parts & tools tray ruining half the fins before I'd even taken delivery of the car.

They had to buy me a process west as a result.

13. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Many people use the stock IC as a tool tray. I did many times. Now bent fins is drastic but nothing wrong with using the IC as a tray.

14. digitizedsoul

I had literally dozens of examples to draw from to support my claim, I selected that one as it surfaced in my mind first.
    The take away is not whether or not using the IC as a tray is appropriate or not as that is less then relevant. It's more that the individual who improperly used mine in this way is the same individual who will be rebuilding your motor.

Another quickly remembered example was him zip tying my boost gauge and EBC vac lines shut / crimped in an attempt to "secure them".
    No boost after that to say the least.

I could keep going but I have things to do. Just want you to be aware that just because SOA is paying now and SOG is doing the work you can't dust off your hands and wait for the call (that is unless you blindly trust them)

15. atlryan

atlryan Member

Yeah I'm going to go check on the car. Mike is the tech that is working on it. I actually was suppose to get it back today but it is taking longer than expected. I was thinking about showing up tomorrow and saying hi to see where he is at. As it is I'll be lucky to get it back before the weekend.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

so what all are they replacing?

17. atlryan

atlryan Member

I won't know till I get it back, but so far shortblock, oil pickup, oil pan, turbo, oil pump, cam gears and any other oil related items. They are NOT replacing the heads, apparently they didn't have any damage. But I know there was metal in them which is why cleaning is so important.

18. b reel

b reel Active Member

hope they pulled all the oil galley plugs and brushed out ALL of the galleys before assembly

19. digitizedsoul

I didn't see oil cooler, but I hope that was also included...

20. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I'd say that is covered.

21. atlryan

atlryan Member

Yeah I saw oil cooler on the parts list they were replacing. The heads went to the machine shop and were hot tanked and cleaned before they decked the heads. I ask the tech to go through and check for metal even after he got them back. I still need to drop by and look over everything to make sure it's going well. I went there last week and the heads were on the motor so it's progressing at least. I should get it back next week sometime. SOA actually called me to see how it was progressing, so that is nice that the are checking on it.

22. digitizedsoul

Running good? How many miles since you got it back?