Sparta's Coupe

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Sparta, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

EG33 Brighton
    [​IMG]

Mods so farindicates complete
    The Heart and soul
    EG33 3.3L engine
    2.5rs 4.11 5 speed
    Outback 4.11 Rear LSD
    Front mount radiator
    Oil Cooler
    Custom exhaust
    Turbo
    Custom Top Mount

The Handling
    JDM 4 piston fronts
    Stoptech Stainless Steel lines
    Whiteline bushings
    2009 GR STI front sway bar
    Rear Sway bar setup

On the inside
    JDM WRX front seats
    Flocked dash
    Weight reduction mods
    Sparco steering wheel
    04 WRX Gauge cluster retrofit
    Cage

On the Outside
    17X7 wheels (from previous owner)
    New FUZION ZR1 tires
    Agressive 17x9+ Wheels and rubber
    Overfenders
    Custom Aero

I've been holding off on posting a build thread here out of pure laziness but then I figured I should contribute something to the community and share my new adventure.

Back in February my wife (yes, I joined the Navy and got married last year) encouraged me to get another project car since we are both car people and she has her Mustang. After searching and searching I found a 1997 Brighton in NC and bribed Bixs into driving me up to go pick it up.

[​IMG]

Stock except for 2007 Sti seats, facelifted headlights, and KYB GR2's and H&R springs.

The car seemed to have barely made it home I think due to a bad fuel pump and it wouldn't stay in 5th gear on the highway, I literally had to hold it in 5th the whole drive back lol but it drove smooth minus the occasional hiccups from the fuel pump.

The next day I took it over to Bixs for a fluid change and just as I was about to refill the tranny (found a piece of metal) and oil we looked at each other and decided to begin swapping it. Within 24 hrs of owning the car it became a shell.

[​IMG]

After a lot of arguing we finally got this in in its place

[​IMG]

EG33 out of an SVX.

Whenever I work on the car I get distracted by tools and random tidbits. Rather than change out my driver side axle to replace a boot I polished the engine bay

[​IMG]

still some work to do to it but I'll save it for another day I get bored.

After pooling my resources in the community I swapped the busted tranny for a 2.5rs 4.11 5 speed and matching rear LSD out of an Outback. Only problem is I forgot about my cable clutch system before putting the engine in and so now decided to swap the cable to a hydraulic clutch out of a 2001 RS. I have the master and slave cylinders in but sourcing an RS pedal box to complete that swap.

Ditched the rear drums for WRX rear discs and calipers and JDM 4 pots in the fronts You can also see I got on awesome deal on some BC Racing Coilovers for my like new struts and springs.

[​IMG]

Stoptech lines became a hassle because the hardlines were so rusted we broke 3/4 of them. I replaced 2 of them which sucked because I kept breaking the new lines :rofl:

[​IMG]

Everyone says to do this swap you have to lose the hood latch and cut the core support because the Crank Pulley sits where the Impreza radiator used to but I decided to get innovative and fab up my own setup using a '91 Jeep Comanche radiator I found at Pull-A-Part.

[​IMG]

this radiator isn't pretty but I plan on getting the aftermarket aluminum replacement in the future. Very front mount esque if you ask me.

Sold the Sti seats and picked up some JDM Wrx seats that fit the car (and driver) a little better.

The sound deadening has been stripped out and while the dash is removed I plan on flocking it smoke gray to match the seats. Also prepping the backseat area and floor to be painted light grey (my current ADD side project).

Bad fuel pump has been switched for a TopSpeed 340lph pump that was literally half the size of the stock one.

Installed a GR STI front swaybar and replaced the steering rack with a cleaner one and Whiteline bushings as well. Still undecided on going with a rear sway bar, this car doesn't have the mounts for one just the bolt holes with grommets in them.

I am sure I am forgetting something as I have literally loosened every bolt on this car all the way down to the gas tank in the first 2 months of ownership. Hopefully with Bixs help on the wiring it will be at a meet soon :bowdown:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. b reel

b reel Active Member

now blind from the blue

3. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Old man

4. liltoua

liltoua Member

Good stuff! Can't wait to see it running

5. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Awesome build man. What do you mean by custom top mount in the mods list? What is going to be involved with the wiring to get it running?

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

The eg33 has a twin throttle bodies instead of one. There isn't a TMIC on the market right for that setup so I plan on picking up a large one and have another outlet cut in and welded next to the outlet of the original one. Will take some skill but there are some talented welders in the Atlanta car scene I can utilize.

I want to go with a top mount to keep weight distribution from the front of the car. Other setups I've seen for turbo 3.3's is trunk mounted radiator/ FMIC or Water to air. Just trying to be innovative.

The stock airbox got sold off before I picked up the motor so I spent a couple of hours yesterday cutting into my stock Brighton Airbox to put a coupler in to work with the EG33. I'll post pictures up later of this setup.

As far as the ECU goes, the SVX ecu will piggy back off of the Impreza ecu and run only the engine. So essentially I'll have two ECU's until I can get a standalone next year depending on tunability of the stock ECU.

7. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Ah so you are gonna turbo it. Awesome. Is there any off the shelf options for a turbo'd EG33 or will you also have to utilize fabrication of custom headers?

8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I will have to fab up custom headers. I picked up a spare Impreza cross member to put on the spare motor on a stand and fab some up. Turbo will come in about a year, I'm just getting it running for now and build up the spare motor on the side with ported heads, EJ22 pistons, oil pump, etc.

With the current suspension mods and at 2600lbs(ish), the 230 hp should be fun until then.

9. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Great work so far, keep it up. Is your ecu obd1 or 2?

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

97 should be OBD-II

11. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yep OBD II. Fortunately the county of my permanent address doesnt have emissions

12. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Sorry, meant the eg33 ecu. EcuTune makes some chips for the OBD1 stuff is why I was asking.

13. Looks like its coming along nice man.

14. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yep obd I. I saw the chips, they are pretty pricey. I'm hoping we can opensource tweek it. If not I'll drive it stock until I get a standalone. The Megasquirt setups arent much more than the Ecutek chips.

15. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Chris you wouldnt happen to have a wrx dash harness do you?

16. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Sure do, Ive got a whole dash to go with it if you want that too. Theyre still in the car but will be coming out this weekend.

17. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Hmm tempting.

18. b reel

b reel Active Member

Dana, I think Chris has the RS pedal assembly too...

19. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

My pedals are from a bugeye actually, and I think Im keeping them with the body until I figure out what Im going to do with it

20. Matt

Are RS and Brighton pedals the same? Any pre-02 RS had the same black rubber pedals for all 3. I swapped mine to WRX pedals.

21. FACE

FACE Active Member

Sweet bro! you two need to come hang out soon. I should have the wifeys shades next week. Maybe sooner :sx:

22. Jake

Jake Active Member

looking good, keep working on it, don't let it turn into a Drew project and take forever. haha

23. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Or a B reel project.

24. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I need the pedal box with a pivot arm that reaches over to the master slabe cylinder. My clutch pedal just has a cable that goes to the clutch fork but Im switching to a slave cylinder setup because I forgot to switch clutch forks lol

25. Matt

I'd look for WRX pedals then. As you know, they're aluminum. I never had good luck with the clutch and brake pedals when I changed from rubber to alum. They would randomly slide off. Unless you want the normal rubber pedal.

26. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Supposedly thee wrx pedal box wont bolt up

The one part Subaru forgot to make into a lego

27. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Mine bolted up pretty well if I remember

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  28. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Sweet, those are easy to find

29. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

I'll look at it closer tomorrow and see if I had to do anything special (halfassed)

30. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Spent all day in the garage today, finished grinding down the floor boards of the sound deadening residue and then painted it gray.

[​IMG]

Then while that dried I moved onto the oil cooler.

[​IMG]

That bracket in front of it is my front mount radiator bracket. As you can see I upgraded from zip ties to safety wire

Here's a shot with the front grill in place, minus the radiator and bumper

[​IMG]

And oil filter relocation homage to the BRZ, now to order some 45* AN fittings to finish plumbing the hoses.

[​IMG]

31. slade1274

slade1274 Member

So, wtf is going in tne 914 now?

32. b reel

b reel Active Member

ls6

33. b reel

b reel Active Member

harness is in the Justy

34. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

upside down oil filter??? ouch

looks awesome, dude, what's your eta on it up and running?

35. b reel

b reel Active Member

I don't understand why people flip out over easy to reach self draining oil filters, manufacturers being doing that for damn near a hundred years. Freaking n00b

36. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Need a pedal box, a few couplers, and hose fittings and plug in the wiring. Oh yea sometime this week I need to relocate the battery to the rear but that can wait until after first start up.

37. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

it runs, drove it up the street and there is a video on fb, I can't link here though

It idles then dies after a couple of seconds, we think the shutting off is a massive vacuum leak in the throttle body, it idles smooth though. I'll investigate it tomorrow. Looks like it needs the aluminum radiator afterall as this one has a small leak. It'll look even more like a fmic once that's in.

Also, the rear brake seems to be locked up. Either the caliper is fubared, ebrake is too tight, or I need to swap out master cylinders to compensate the 4 pots and wrx rear drum to disc conversion. thought?

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  38. b reel

b reel Active Member

you'll want to use these,

Single Stage Brake Booster 26402FA071
    Corresponding Master Cylinder 26401AA231

39. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Thats what I was afraid of

40. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

haven't updated here in awhile, but here is how it currently sits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Turns out the Brighton already comes with a single stage brake booster, all I needed was a wrx bias distributor.

My actual problem ended up being a bolt that was over extending into the rotor

42. wgatactical

wgatactical Member

I'm hoping to jump on the H6 bandwagon soon, can't wait to see more on this.

43. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Took it up to Deal's Gap for the weekend. More pics to come from killboy.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

44. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

mmmmm meaty tires

45. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

check out that ear to ear grin as he exits the corner :-D

46. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Wow I haven't updated this thread in awhile. The eg33 failed in November and so I decided to take the time to change it up quite a bit. Unfortunately I have been really busy this year and haven't been able to work on it too much but here is a teaser of how it looks now.

[​IMG]

And to sum it up, I bought a low mileage eg33 from Allpro and then changed my mind and decided to sell all of my SVX for a wrecked outback with an ez30 in it.

47. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Like the new color! and those wheels/tires look badass

48. Subie_Dooo

Subie_Dooo New Member

you got them meaty tires going. love it!

49. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

Love these old coupes. I have 2 even older Scoobys, '84 GL wagon & '89 Loyale, I really need some help doing something cool with before they rot. The guy that was keeping them at his shop passed away unexpectedly and now I have to find a place for them and figure out what to do with them.

Keep us updated on this coupe. Don't let it fall into neglect mode like my poor wagons!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014