SPOON rigid collars review

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by mokinbird87, Jun 22, 2015.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

SPOON Rigid Collars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm gonna try my best to explain the differences after installing the rigid collars. For those of you not aware of this product, YouTube has a great video of a Prius installed with the collars and that video explains it way better than I ever can so please reference it here: Rigid Collar - Spoon Sports Europe - English Version - YouTube

Ok onto the differences. I'll start in the order of most significant to small. The biggest difference is the lack of vibration. Before the install, there were lots of unwanted small, high frequency vibrations in the chassis, even on relatively smooth flat roads. I believe it was probably due to the fact that the area where the chassis and the front crossmember touches is not flat. I like how one of my friends put it; it feels more like a BMW, in a sense that jarring vibrations are non existent.

Second biggest thing I've noticed is vertical movement of the car, or rather, lack of it. Before the collars were installed, when the car drove through a dip or a bump, it would try and absorb the impact, but would take a bit of time to recover. Simply put, it used to be a "boing boing boing" vs "boing". The car stays a lot more planted and recovers in a lot less time now. It's as if I installed higher end dampers on the car (can't wait to actually do so in conjunction with these collars). It almost feels like I have shorter/stiffer springs without the unwanted harshness.

Another difference is how much better the steering stays on-center. It's almost weird how little corrections I make driving the car. After getting wider wheels and tires, the car would tug along the expansion joints or undulating surfaces (especially under braking), but the car drives through them without even feeling like they're there now. Sometimes the freeways here in California have two different types of Tarmac laid, and half of my car would be on one and other side on the other, making it extremely difficult to drive the car straight, but the "tugging" effect is very minimized, if not completely gone.

Now, I do think cars already equipped with high end suspension may not feel it as much (due to good dampening), but it was a very good learning experience on my part that. I thought I would gain more NVH due to a more solid connection to the chassis, but it in fact worked the other way around. If this theory stays true my solid rear bushings for the rear subframe (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61522&page=2) will also have a very positive effect. Can't wait to install those!

here is one of the holes on the chassis; notice how misaligned it was!
    [​IMG]