Stage II

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Tank, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Tank

Tank Member

Is anyone running Stage II on their 08-09 WRX? I’m sure you all know what I mean by Stage II but I will add some details just in case: Cobb Access Port (with tune), Cobb Intake, Downpipe and Exhaust. If so what is the performance like with that setup? I’m trying to decide if I’m going to start messing around with this car or get something that I can beat on instead. This is my daily driver and will remain so but it if is not going to provide the boost in performance that I’m looking for and be reliable I will go with getting another beater (beater = 240sx).

Thanks for you comments and suggestions!

2. Doonamis

Doonamis New Member

I have an '11 WRX with these exact mods, also my daily driver. I really enjoy it. Performance improvement was very nice. Got it all done at Allpro.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

you've just described the majority of WRX builds on this site. Most everyone does that.

4. resynch

resynch Supporting Member

My 09 WRX was stage 2 for 25K miles with no issues before I sold it using the Torqued Performance Stage II Cobb AP map. Just keep an eye on on the plastic intercooler and bpv for leakage since they are known to do so even at stock boost levels. What I did was get the bulletproof tmic (https://sites.google.com/site/bptmickit/) and a forge bpv (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2146847) to help prevent that from happening. Also, just keep up to date with all your scheduled maintenance and fluid levels as well.

Like Matt said, Stage II is the gateway drug into turbo Subaru modification. Once you go down the path, you won't ever go back.

5. Tank

Tank Member

I figured that would be the case. I was just wondering if I should do this knowing I need to keep it running solid for a long time to come.

Thanks for the links that is very helpful to me. I know maintenance is the key to keeping all vehicles healthy. Is this path anything like oh take a 240sx add boost. Blow up the motor and replace it with a bigger one with boost. Love every minute of it? If so I better get a beater, lol and leave the WRX stock.

6. STIstorm

STIstorm Supporting Member

Running stage 2 on my 13 sti. It truly is a gateway drug. It's now close to the end of 2015 and I'm on my second motor. Maintenance is always the key to a healthy vehicle. But going stage two won't keep you from daily driving. Just check the oil levels every time you get gas!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  7. Tank

Tank Member

The Stage II setup with a catless down pipe, will it pass emission with a proper tune (like tuned at Top Speed)? And that thing about "I'm on my second motor" sounds scary to me. I think beater is the way to go.

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

tuners can turn CEL lights off for certain things. Most emissions places will do a visual. In fact, it's required that they see the cat. Some get lazy and don't bother, others do a half assed job, but if they get caught not doing it, they can get fined $10k the first time, 25k and revocation of license the second time.

9. STIstorm

STIstorm Supporting Member

Haha, it's scary but that's just part of this life.

10. Tank

Tank Member

You know you are right is is part of life but I think I would rather blow up something a little less important.

Thanks everyone for your input. Maybe just get wheels and suspension bits.

11. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I have a 09 STi stage 2 with Cobb AP OTC tune, Invidia catted down pipe, T1R Sparrow exhaust and Cobb SF intake. No, issues, and definitely more fun!

Also a daily driver, over 81K on it now, with a few track days. No issues.

Also, not sure what you have done so far, if anything, but the Cobb AP with Stage 1 tune is more than worth it to change the torque/HP curves. You will definitely notice the difference.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  12. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Don't let 1 person's experience make the decision for you. Yes plenty of Subaru owners have blown engines after modifying them. However, you need to understand how they failed. STIstorm has documented in other threads what led up to his engine failure. If you plan on "cruising" at 110+ mph in 90*+ heat then not only would I suggest you leave the car stock I would suggest you find a different tool for the job. Subarus aren't magic and have limitations just like everything else.

I enjoyed suspension only mods with the Cobb OTS stage 1 map for about 5 years. Stage 1 made a noticeable difference and was worth it imo. I have been running my 05 STi w/ a catted DP and CB exhaust for just over 5 years with no issues. I used the Cobb OTS tune for about a year prior to getting a Doug ProTune. When you turn up the boost you are taking a bit of a risk depending on how you drive it. If you are just DD it ask a reputable tuner for a conservative tune and maybe even ask for a certain target boost number not much above stock if at all.

If you are looking for something to ride hard and put away wet then by all means source a beater, build a missile, and proceed to beat the daylights out of it. Break it, fix it, and repeat.

I hope this helps you and good luck!

13. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Go light with the tune if you're worried. I had Scott Siegel tune mine YEARS ago. My wife and I raced it for 6 years up to 100k with nothing but maintenance repairs and upgrades to the suspension. The car comes alive with the slightest tune.

14. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i'm over 200,000 miles on stage 2 with a cobb ots map...

15. zugu

zugu New Member

It's really the luck of the draw, my friend and I bought both our cars (2013 and 2014 WRXs) around the same time, he flogs his daily, whereas I somewhat pampered mine, his is still running and mine isn't.....

16. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

I wouldn't recommend going catless for two main reasons:

1) Catless greatly increases the chances of boost creep
    2) The smell

Stage 2 will most likely be my next mod.

17. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

A V8 'Stang would be a better choice there. Twice the displacement, twice the cylinders and much looser tolerances. Turbo anything is going to have problems getting rid of heat unless you're only running 1-2lbs of boost.