subaru version of the ft86

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, May 27, 2011.

1. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

It's the type of car that does it for me, I've seen enough quick s2000's and miata's with very little done that I've got envy.

2. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I 100% agree, and that is why I really want one too, I really miss a RWD car, and I've spent a lot of time attempting to chase miata's and s2ks up in the mountains.

3. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Those little bastards take the turns way too quickly.. :eek:

I definitely need to drive this thing first, but so far the comments in the MT article about how it feels are promising. It will undoubtedly will need some suspension mods (to at least correct the understeer mentioned in the article), as most cars do. I'm thinking it will be fairly reliable being NA and the whole purpose of the car being a no-compromise sporty and low cost car is perfect. Although those things contradict themselves, and the understeer was obviously a compromise.. We shall see. I'm excited, but it still could be hype. Either way, the idea of owning a miata/s2000 like car without having to admit you drive a miata/honda would be nice. No offense to anyone :rofl:

4. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

I wouldn't be embarrassed to admit that I drive a Miata or S2000.
    Both are reputable cars from reputable companies.

5. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

you drive a mazda 3

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

at SEMA

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

8. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

too bad by the time it passes all the crash test and bs federal crap it will looked washed down like the rest of the scion line.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Who the hells wants a Rustang?

10. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2131

-460mm from ground to the center of the crank (low CG)
    -53:47 F/R weight split
    -Cd (coefficient of drag) of 0.27 (this is really good)
    -D-4S tech (direct injection pairs with secondary EFI)
    -1,998cc Displacement
    -200 HP
    -151.2 ft-lbs torque
    -12.5:1 Compression ratio (I guessing on this one, and I really hope I'm wrong)
    -86mm x 86mm bore/stroke
    -Mcpherson suspension front/ Double A-arm rear
    -Rear seats fold (as one unit)
    -Cup holders can slide
    -Can carry 4 tires

from ft86club.com

11. mokinbird87

this car with very minor suspension mods will shit on many cars including the WRX in the corners IMO. And even if it doesnt churn out faster lap times than the wrx/sti, i would have so much more fun controlling the balance and feeling the delicate steering with a good driving position.

I still love my bugeye but the ft86 seems to address all the issues I want to fix on it :)

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I agree. Itll be a fun car.

13. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

So is the subaru version not coming stateside?

14. mokinbird87

i think we`ll likely see the scion version and the subie version in the states.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You totally missed my point old man. You said who wants a Scion? There a TON of Scion's on the road....hell I know of a member on here that has a Scion xB.

The point was just cause you don't like Scion's doesn't mean that others won't as well.

16. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I might actually get into one of these when they come to the states. All matter of space inside tho. being 6.2 is what kept me from getting into a s2k.

17. superdoughboy4

It would be great if they labeled the FRS a Toyota. Even better if they kept the FT-86 name. A true successor to the Levin/Trueno.
    Toyota needs a flagship sports car the FT-86 is the perfect car for it. I mean, they have the LFA, of course branded a Lexus, but really it's Toyota, but it's 350-400k so definitely out of most people's price range.

18. crazyazn

I agree with there needs to be a toyota branded sports car, however in the marketing scheme I can agree with whats going on. This platform seems to be intended as a 'budget sport car' with all the estimates being in the mid 20k area. Thus I disagree with it being a 'flagship' and hence it going to the scion line (since scion's branding is all 'youth, quirky, and or economical').<-edited bc Matt done called me out!

I'd like to think toyota would wait until they have a 'supra successor' to have the toyo marque, if that ever happens considering how the world market is.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  19. Matt

eco...what?

20. crazyazn

ooof, well i can't get away with the excuse of english being my second language. Thus, i'll go with, i'm waiting for my coffee to cool so I can wake up.

21. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

The real question is..When you pop the hood how many toyota emblems will you see, and how many Subaru ones.

Completely worthless story: When I had my Plymouth Laser, I hid the fact from my grandfathers that every part under the hood had a Mitsu symbol. To quote my brother's friend "The Japs shot at and tried to kill them, what do you expect?" lol.

22. superdoughboy4

It should basically be 99% Subaru, 1% Yamaha. Subaru brought the engine, Toyota brought the body, mixed/matched, and here we have the FRS/BRZ.

23. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I just am so leery of the Toyota involvement in this project. They have not had a reputable sports car in this price range since the Supra and MR2 turbo... All the Lexus stuff looks pretty and has some cool technology but they still end up being soulless appliances.

I hope that this car changes these things and that Subaru gets the credit they are due on this project.

24. mokinbird87

according to subaru, it's 100% subaru engineering, 100% toyota design...

25. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

so will it be a subaru or a toyota in the US? or both?

26. mokinbird87

scion in the states for sure, no toyota. everything about the subaru version is very much up in the air but most people expect it to make it in the states also.

27. mokinbird87

28. superdoughboy4

Well, there is "rumor" on the FT86 boards that Yamaha has had a hand in how the engine actually sounds, just like they did with the LFA.
    They may not have done anything with the actual boxer engine, but they're supposed to have made it sounds incredible.
    BUT of course this is all hear-say.

29. mokinbird87

i believe it's true. man if the fr-s will sound anything close to the LF-A, i`m sold on it :)

30. Matt

the Motor Trend article I posted says you can hear the distinct boxer rumble, even though it sounds like it's wrapped in a cotton ball.

31. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I wonder if they mean actual engine sound. At least on mine you can't hear the exhaust , but you can hear a beautiful noise instead. Noticeable in some of my front of the car videos I've taken

i was thinking something like this http://youtu.be/QBPuyBY8sSI?hd=1&t=4m39s when I read that. Would crop something off a dif video, but at work.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  32. longfury

longfury Active Member

I do expect this car to be so small that I (6'6" 220lbs) will not be able to drive the car comfortably and that makes me sad.

I can't drive Miatas or S2000's or anythign else in that size class.

33. Matt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah, no way in hell I could drive it. I also have a 36" inseam which really makes it difficult.

35. mokinbird87

rear end!
    [​IMG]

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Keep in mind that between the brands they are gonna look different.

37. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

38. mokinbird87

subaru is winning in my eyes now haha
    [​IMG]
    enhanced version:
    [​IMG]
    plasma blue?
    [​IMG]

official teaser
    [​IMG]
    And interesting physical specs at the Japan site (per ichitaka):

BRZ: 4,200x1,770x1,270

vs.

FRS: 4,240x1,775x1,285

but wheel base is the same... (both 2,570)

discuss away lol

-from ft86club.com-

39. mokinbird87

interior of the toyota version:
    [​IMG]

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You think the production model will have the LED strip?

41. Matt

The motor trend article talked about having LEDs in the headlights. But, we'll see.

42. superdoughboy4

It's possibly, supposedly anyway, an option for the higher-end package for the FR-S/BRZ.

43. leds are showing up in toyotas as we type..

44. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I hope not... I think that is already overdone! Everyone and their mom has LED bars on their new cars.

45. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Usage the scion version in person at SEMA. It's beautifully designed but I doubt it'll hold through production.

46. Matt

47. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I'd hit it.

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

:jerk: I'd definately hit it.

49. crazyazn

I like, still can't wait to see what a production one will look like after all the aggressive curves and edges gets watered down.

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I see a lot of Camaro likeness especially in the rear fenders.