Sushi Night!!

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Matt, May 31, 2007.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Ok guys, Chadd378642134364^2132132323:)rofl:) is coming down in a couple weeks and we're putting together a sushi get together. Last time he went to Nickimoto's and LOVED it. I'm trying to think of where else we can take him that has DAMN good sushi. There are a 1001 sushi restaurants in Atlanta, let's figure something out!

After talking to him, we've come up with Saturday, June 9th @ around 8.

What's out there?

oh yeah, this is teh chadd from nabisco. Let's do eeeet!

2. 7wolf

7wolf Member

Monk knows all the good spots! i have drill that w/e but i'll try and go.

3. Theres two favorites of mine., one near me, Sushi Yoshi, and the one that most asians love, Haru ichiban, near Gwinnett Mall

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

I liked orient express but its kinda pricey and parking would sick down in vinings.

But I'm def down for it.

5. Ashley25

Ashley25 Member

Do these sushi places also offer cooked food as well?

6. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

7. Deke

Deke Active Member

8. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

RuSan's is pretty Americanized. If you want the authentic stuff look elsewhere, there's one up on alpharetta hwy and...i might say roswell rd, that is considered by a few of my friends as the best in atlanta. Rusans is fun and cheap though.

9. Matt

yes

most places have other stuff as well....fried rice for your boy and whatnot.

I was thinking RuSan's, but at the same time, not. Someone on Nasioc mentioned Twist in buckhead.

?

10. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

M.F. Sushi Bar is the end all be all Sushi Spot in Atlanta, I've been to them all. Its expensive but it is the ish.

I'm down for some M.F. I can even get the wife to come out for that, if you are planning on having more than 4 people you should make reservations now. Oh and don't plan on more than 6 or 7 people the place isn't very big.

Matt

11. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

MF doesn't sound like a good gathering place then. My gf and I usually go to Sushi Yoko on Peachtree Industrial. It's rather inexpensive and good sushi. Half the time it's filled with Oriental customers, and we make two more Asians in there. :p

12. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Hmmm where is MF? MoFo sushi? It sounds like a nice place to go.

13. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

it's on ponce de leon across from the home depot. real upscale, mf means "magic fingers" ooooo

14. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Another vote for MF sushi bar.

15. Ashley25

Ashley25 Member

Just tell me when and where...

16. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

decided to re-up??

haru ichiban in duluth is really good stuff-on a friday night there are maybe 4-6 non japanese people in the place (out of 40+), in fact it's pretty much like that all the time. there's no "atmosphere" going on there though. it's a japanese family restaraunt. 98% of the people eating there are 1st gen japanese. their otoro will blow your mind. (so will the cooking) the master chef from japan was a jolly fat man who was a master chef for over 40yrs iirc... he has retired and gone back to jap. his son is now the master chef and a damn good one at that (but not quite to his father's caliber).

there is another place that just opened up across from the mall of ga, called sushi nikko nikko, i got great toro with fresh shaved wasabi root. the master chef was trained and worked in japan has been doing it for 20+yrs the apprentices are a little green. small place, but has a lot of promise if they stay on top of their rice quality. knife skills are very decent

M.F. Sushi Bar is the place everyone keeps telling me to go to... maybe this is a chance for me try it out ;)

strayen's gf is japanese so if they recommend another place i'm game for that as well ;)

nicki's is okay... i haven't been there in a while but there are more than a few that are better around atl... unless they changed their technique and master chef. they're definitely more about the atmosphere.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  17. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Just came back from Ru San's lunch on Windy Hill and it was horrible! No service what so ever. The sushi in the buffet was mediocre and my friend didn't get her food till 5mins before we had to get back from lunch. I had to flag our waiter down 3-4 times, once to get our drinks, and to get her food ordered, then to get the check. Never going there again. I doubt their sushi quality will improve even when not busy.

18. Proxy One

Proxy One Member

Well, Hopefully Kevin and I will make it out as well, kinda depends on where though. Im not a big fan of RuSans but MF Sushi sounds interesting but doesnt sound like a spot for more than 6or8 peeps. Im thinking Sushi Yoko on P'tree Industrial would be nice.

19. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

mmm rusans, never been to the one in windy hill or in marietta but the one in buckhead and in atlanta are superb!

20. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Genki is good for big groups because they can clear out the basement for a big group.

21. Matt

That sucks, Russ....I've had bad experiences in that one as well....I've vowed to never go back either. And this was back in 1998! I've stuck to my grounds. There is a good place called Sushi Huku on Powers Ferry next to Mardi Gras strip club that we may go to.

It's been a while since I was there last!

22. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I'll make it out for sushi anytime. my gf might go if she gets out of work early enough.

23. Tanakas in Roswell is one of the best. My wife is Japanese with 15 brothers and sisters so they know sushi. They have some cooked food too.Haru Ichiban is good for the area.By mall..(but I as a round eye white devil prefer Tanakas)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  24. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Tanakas? one on Roswell near Northridge south of the river? Is that the place I'm thinking of? If it's that, it's alright, food was good, service was very friendly, and small atmosphere. That's the only bad thing, small place with no tables seating more then 8 probably and prices were a bit higher then sushi yoko, quality being same.

25. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

MF is not a group place for sure. Monk if you want to go try it give me a ring, Beth and I are down for Sushi any night.

Matt

26. Matt

I would say that Sushi Huku is not really a group place either. Is there really a sushi bar that's group friendly other than RuSan's? Or Benihana, which is more of a steakhouse....mmmm, hibachi :devil: :drool:

27. Alex_ATL

Alex_ATL Member

none of you guys even been to Sushi Avenue in Decatur? Sushi there is absolutely top notch ! people say it's slow but it was fine imo

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  28. Matt

I've been there before. It's quite good. I just don't want to drive to downtown Decatur. That and Chadd is coming from Sylva, NC.....

29. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Sushi :tasty: group setting sometimes mean less $$ I know when my and my buddy goes its between 80-100 bucks + sake of course. the last place we went was near buckhead cant think of the place tho really good.

30. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

stick with Yoko

edit: and bring cash. They won't split checks for groups more than 4, so unless someone has enuf plastic for everyone...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  31. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Sushi Yoko has 3-4 areas where they can seat large groups of up to like 12 or so. No problems with groups there. And yea, definitely bring cash or something as they don't split checks for large groups.

32. Matt

ok, where is yoko?

33. Ashley25

Ashley25 Member

Is that really going to be the best option if they don't split checks? Even if we all bring cash what about change and stuff like that? IDK...it just always seems that it never equals out quite right.

34. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

35. Matt

hmmmm, that sounds like it may be easier...Being that it can accomodate to a larger group...And it's fairly easy to get to. I'll speak to Chadd about it and see what he says..thanks for the map!

36. Deke

Deke Active Member

Well I just had RuSans for the first time today. I definitely wouldn't say that it's the most authentic place or anything, but $12 for all you can eat is pretty damn awesome.

37. Matt

UPDATE!!!

We have changed the date and location! It's going to be Sushi Huku in Atlanta on FRIDAY at 8pm.

let me know who all will be there starting.....now!

:p

38. Matt

the time has come upon us!

who all is still in?

39. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

I'd love to come, I have to DJ at 10:00 though, oh yeah...and I am really broke this month.

40. socrates42

socrates42 Member

damn i thought it was still on sat, oh well, Slow soul where do you dj, what type of music

41. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

I play at P'cheen, which is down in the Old 4th Ward...it should really be called The NEW 4th Ward, cause it ain't anything like it used to be.

http://www.pcheen.com

As far as the music goes...a mix of Downtempo, Classic 80s R&B, Funk, Disco, and House. Some weeks I do more of one style than another.

It would be rad to do a Get Together there on a Friday night that I am playing! Everyone here comes down there and takes over! If people are interested, it would definately have to be planned because it is street parking only, and it fills up quickly. There is also a valet service, but the more Subies we could get lining the streets the better!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  42. socrates42

socrates42 Member

dude that spot looks choice, I'm gonna check it out for brunch this weekend!