The Life of the Black Knight

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by miloman, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm just confused as to why you are having so much blow by. That's a lot.

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Its not blow by.

Check to makes sure all the lines going to the catch can, and the lines linking the valve covers to the wastegate aren't kinked. If they are kink it will push oil into the catch can.

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

It was probably only 4-6 oz of oil. It doesn't really take much to coat the engine compartment.
    My "Green Bean" cach can was a better design than his "Dr Pepper" can. After a hard session I had 2-3 oz in my can where as none stayed in the inferior Dr Pepper can.

I think it has more to do with lateral load than anything else. I can run hard all day at the drag strip and not even have a drop of oil in the can but at a track with turns it fills some.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Didn't have a catch can at all actually. The tube that would go into the catch can was left open and was pointing downwards. Second run, we stuck it in a Dr. Pepper can and that didn't hold any oil.

I have only had this issue coming out of turns at the track. Since then, I have made multiple WOT pulls in 4th gear and there is absolutely no oil coming out of the tube.

5. slowwrx

Sounds like the balance tubes have a kink in them.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Which tubes would those be?

7. slowwrx

The one that links the valve cover to the crank case.

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I'll take a look when I go to my car next. Thanks.

9. slowwrx

No problem

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Took a look at the tubes. Didn't notice anything kinked. Is this something I should be able to see easily? And if not, how serious of a problem is it if I'm not going to push much lateral load? Safe enough to get tuned next week?

11. WJM

WJM Banned

Check the line that runs across the inlet pipe...down at the valve cover especially.

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Will do tomorrow :)

13. WJM

WJM Banned

no, do it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

14. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

haha

15. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Could someone point out which tube I need to check?

[​IMG]

The picture shows a V7 JDM motor. So I hope it looks similar to the EJ25. I'm assuming it's the one at the bottom right of this picture, right next to the orange and white connector

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  16. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

in that picture, i don't see the line Will is talking about.

17. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

i dont have a catch can... should I buy one? It's basically a stock STi with 25K.

18. WJM

WJM Banned

No. Stock and 'small' turbos dont need catch cans.

THe lines I am talking about are in the pic...but I need a pic of MILO's engine so i can look at it and see if anything is amiss from what it needs tobe.

19. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I took the camera down to take a picture, but it was low on battery. I'll try to get one today.

I traced down two tubes both coming out of the valve cover. One appeared to connect to the crank case. The other looked like it went into the PCV system. Neither looked kinked.

20. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Here are some pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  21. WJM

WJM Banned

Hm. Everything looks ok...? Atleast from the pics.

22. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Did I get the pictures of the balance tube correctly? If nothing seems kinked, what could be my problem? If it is just lateral loading, why aren't people with race tires experiencing the same thing? Is it because they just don't notice? Hard to believe that different cars could be so different.

Regardless, looks like I need to buy the AOS now.

- EDIT -

Looks like there are others with similar problems. Good discussion here:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970585

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'd like this but the location of the return line bothers me. Looks like it plumbs back into the top of the block. Issue is what if you had a oil pressure sender installed there?

24. WJM

WJM Banned

It will not affect if...because if you have an oil pressure sender in the top of the block beside the crank case rear vent that goes to the PCV system...you've already fubard the stock system.

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm such an idiot. The oil pressure sender goes in a different plug. What the hell was I thinking? LOL

26. WJM

WJM Banned

I dont know...thats for sure. ;)

27. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Going to get tuned at Topspeed tomorrow. Have my appointment at 9am. I have decided to go with a 2:1 mixture of methanol and water. I have no idea what to expect from this as I have not done much research on people running such a mixture on a similar setup. We'll have to wait and find out :)

28. WJM

WJM Banned

You should do direct meth injection.

29. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Do you think SMC's pump can handle that :rofl:

30. WJM

WJM Banned

I'd do an old fashioned mechanical setup...like the diesels were.

31. techlord

techlord Active Member

HAHA...NO. I plan to buy a spare pump and would just have a hour's work if it fails then no down time while I get the broken spare replaced for free. The one good think I can say is Steve (SMC) has never had a problem replacing free of charge.

Good luck with the tune!

32. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

How did things go milo?

33. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

he made big man numbers on a 2:1 meth water tune ;)

34. lostinthewoods

and those #s would be...

35. Alex

I'm not going to steal his thunder ;)

He didnt make 1000hp though, I can tell you that :wtc:

36. lostinthewoods

Let me guess he made over 300 LOL...
    So between 300 and 1000

37. Alex

eggxactly

38. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Damn the suspense. Lets hear it!!

39. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

520 is my guess

40. techlord

techlord Active Member

My guess is 448/456.

41. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

were those the actual numbers?

fess up already

42. techlord

techlord Active Member

Nope, I have no clue, but I want to say I saw a similar setup w/o meth and it was a bit lower. I cannot wait to hear the results tho.

43. Alex

I think he's out drinking, looks like you'll be waiting for a while longer ;)

44. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

c'mon Alex...what's the skinny on this??? we all know you know the #'s.

45. slowwrx

I don't think they were that high.

46. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i didn't think they were bad numbers at all ;)

47. slowwrx

They're OK that turbo should be capable of 500whp though.

48. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I apologize for the delay.

Baseline numbers: ~355whp at 19psi on straight pump gas (SAE corrected)

Then we added the 2:1 meth/water mix and started tuning. Goal was ~28psi and ~11.1 AFR. We couldn't reach these goals. The max boost we could make on the dyno was ~26psi as we ran out of wastegate spring, which I am fine with as I won't be tempted to raise the boost. I don't plan to upgrade the spring. Also, anything leaner than ~10.7AFR and the car would pull timing. I think here I could have benefited from a better EMS that would allow adjustment of the knock threshold. But I won't be doing this either.

Final numbers: 422 wtq and 433 whp (SAE Corrected) or 448.5whp (DIN corrected) at ~26psi, ~10.6AFR, 2:1 meth/water, 93 octane

This is the tune I will be driving on the street and has not been turned up just on the dyno. I didn't think correction factors would make such a difference. Since I have no idea what DIN correction means, I'm going to stick with my SAE corrected numbers.

As for comparisons with other turbos:

Recently done 7cm2 FP Red with straight methanol and Hydra: Spooled a little bit sooner (~150rpm) but horsepower curve flattened out just like mine. This same car made 494 whp at SOG without hydra.

Older tunes: A lot of the older tunes with FP Reds had big plots. I have seen as high as 490whp with a lot faster spool.

In the end, the meth+water mix gained me about 80whp, which is in the ballpark of what I expected. And the gain feels awesome. I wish the absolute numbers were higher but I am not too worried about it.

Driving home last night was a blast. The car made 28.4psi on 400S and man did that feel good :)

49. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

Very nice Milo! Congrats on those #'s. I'm happy to see your car is coming along nicely.

50. FACE

FACE Active Member

Very nice numbers man! Must make you feel gitty LOL!