The Life of the Black Knight

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by miloman, Sep 22, 2006.

1. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

2. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Sweet. I wanna ride in it!!

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

^^^ Me too. Wait, I'll go take a ride right now :D

4. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

now i need to get a ride in this, congrats man

5. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Grats Milo! I remember when you were getting frustrated with the 300whp barrier in BK1...:ddirty:

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Good numbers man!

7. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Very nice!

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Thanks guys :)
    Haha. Yeah I remember that.

9. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Congrats buddy! Very nice. :bigthumb:

10. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

verry nice

11. Deke

Deke Active Member

That's sick man, congrats on the suby powwah

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Congrats Milo!

13. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

That's some huge power, milo! Congrats man!

14. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Thanks guys. This is keeping me plenty happy :)

15. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

so without re-reading 57 pages of thread. Can you give us the quick update on your setup now?

16. It was cool running into you Milo. Congrats on the new numbers man.

Car sounds/looks awesome!

17. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I should keep it updated in my first post:

Power Modifications
    Deadbolt SuperZilla 65 Turbocharger
    SMC 2:1 Methanol/Water Injection System with Spec-C Tank
    APS DR525 Front Mount Intercooler
    APS 70mm Cold Air Intake
    APS Turbo Inlet Tube
    APS Dual Vent Blow Off Valve
    DeatschWerks 740cc Injectors
    TGV Deletes
    Helix Catted Downpipe
    Blitz Nur Spec-R Cat Back Exhaust
    ACT 6-puck Unsprung Clutch
    ACT Prolite Flywheel

Software
    Cobb Accessport with Protuner Reflash by Scott Siegel at Topspeed
    Apexi AVC-R Boost Controller
    PLX R-500 Wideband O2/EGT Sensor
    ECUTEK Data Monitor

Suspension
    Tein Flex Coilovers
    Whiteline Swaybars
    Bridgestone Potenza RE01R Tires

Brakes
    Carbotech XP10 Front Brake Pads
    Carbotech XP8 Rear Brake Pads
    ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
    Goodridge Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Speedbleeders

Miscellaneous
    Group-N Engine Mounts

Power Output
    422lb-ft, 433 whp (SAE Corrected, 26psi, 93 octane + 2:1 Methanol/Water)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  18. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

19. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Didnt BIg Davids make 505whp with the FP Red?

Those are decent numbers for the amount of boost you are running. But i still think there is more in it.

Isnt that turbo CLAIMED to make 500whp?

Only reason why i ask is i have a customer trying to buy that turbo, and i kinda want to talk him out of it now. if that turbo cant make 450whp at 26psi, how the hell is it gonna make 500whp?

PS: You should change your first post where it says COBB TUNED BY SCOTT SIEGEL AT BATLGROUND

;)

20. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

21. Doug@DBW Motorsports

hope you didn't mind me posting your graph.

22. Brian

Brian Active Member

If it's not enough power for you Milo, there's always the GT30R. ;)

23. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I was told that it would be between a 7cm2 Red and an 8cm2 Red in terms of spool and power. Now comparing it with a 7cm2 red that Scott recently tuned, he had me on spool be ~100rpm or so, but otherwise the plots we dead on. All the older plots that Doug had tuned had me beat by a lot.

The AVC-R controls my boost, and on the street, I am set up to run 1.9kg/cm2 (27psi) at peak, tapering to 1.85kg/cm2 (26.2psi) at 6000rpm and 1.8kg/cm2 (25.5psi) at 7000rpm. When Scott tuned it on the dyno, I'm not sure if he had a taper. If he did, it would certainly affect peak power. Maybe he could chime in.

Done

24. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Not at all. In fact, thanks for posting it up. I have been asking Scott to do it all weekend.

By the way, I think plot #8 was the cleanest one without any breaks. Could you post that one up?

Hahaha. I don't think I am going to change my setup. I'm happy with what I have :)

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

And that's all that matters....

26. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Maybe you should have Doug retune it, maybe he will see something Siegel is missing.

27. WJM

WJM Banned

LOL@Matt.

28. slowwrx

I didn't mean it that way but there has to be a reason that its not making 500whp. That turbo should be capable of 500whp. If its not making near that then something is wrong. Its easy to overlook stuff.

29. WJM

WJM Banned

I didnt take it that way either. I just found humor in it.

It is 40hp off where it should be as a minimum. Doug's SZ55 with stock inlet size made 470hp on C16. That was even with TGV's in it and shit.

30. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I agree completely. Compression test came back fine so I am pretty confident that the engine is good. There are a couple things in the car that could use improvement:

1) Downpipe: I have a cat. It's high flow, but it was on my WRX for a couple years and has been on the STi for a year and a half. Not sure if it is still good or not, and how much of a difference there would be if I was catless at these power levels
    2) EM: Switching to something with an adjustable knock threshold would allow for a more aggressive tune

Concerning the turbo, it's making enough power for me, at least for now. Switching to a whole different setup is really not worth it for various reasons. First off, I doubt there is a whole lot of power to be gained for the amount of money I would need to spend. The car is probably already close to the threshold of reliability. Secondly, even if I spend the money, who knows if it will make any more power. The problem may be with something else.

For now, I am not worried at all. As long as comparable tunes on comparable setups make comparable power, I know there is nothing wrong with my car. Now if Scott tunes a similar car and it makes a ton more than me, then I'll be concerned.

If Doug wants to play with it, he can have at it.

31. slowwrx

Lets just take it to the drag strip and see what kind of trap speeds it runs. That will tell us how much power it is making for sure.

32. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Doug was here while I was tuning. Maybe these cats are a lot more restrictive than we thought... There is not much left of the table.

Siegel

33. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I'm running lower boost in higher gears. I don't think I want to run 28psi in 5th or 6th. I'm sure that would affect trap speed in a big way.

34. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I was there when Scott tuned it, like almost all the tunes done here at Topspeed now. I don't think there is anymore I could do to it than what Scott has already done. Scott and I frequently work together on some of the cars that come in so its not like we both didn't take a look at while it was on the dyno. It made the power it did and would not make anymore safely. My guess would be he is running the smaller meth nozzle which wasn't allowing us to run higher boost and more timing. Maybe switching to the M15 meth nozzle and a retune will net more power.

35. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Dang... you ninja posted me... Wait aren't you on the dyno now, get back to work.

36. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:slap:

37. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

^ lol

you could throw a smooth-designed U/P for an extra 10-15hp...?

wait, milo doesn't have many stickers on his car... he needs MORE stickers it WILL make him t3h f4st0r!!1

38. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:rofl:
    I have stock headers and uppipe. Not sure how much there is to gain/lose there

39. WJM

WJM Banned

Well, from the butt dyno on my car...going from the stock header/up from an STi to the ported stock pieces, BPM cross over and the Random tech up was a HUGE gain in around town TQ/response, noticeably faster spool and it feels like it has more top end power.

Otherwise...it just might be that the kitties are stopping it up at that power level.

The 0~5hp difference we are used to seeing might only apply to the 'smaller' turbo cars. Aka stock turbo and anything less than an 18G/20G.

I'm sure someone has a 3inch bell mouth catless that Milo could borrow.

40. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

TurninConcepts did a really nice write-up dyno before/after on IWSTI that i read a few days ago. makes some very good points about the stocker not being "quite there"

41. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I didn't realize you have a catted downpipe Milo. With a catted downpipe and an internal wastegate I am willing to bet all I own that there is 50 hp being held back.

42. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I have an aps 3.5" downpipe you can borrow if you need to, BUT it has divider and could lead to potential boost creep

43. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I doubt I'm going to get an external wastegate. But I really want to drop the cat and throw it on the dyno. I expect it will make a noticable difference with the motor pushing ~27psi.

Thanks for the offer man, but I think I'm going to wait till I get a replacement of my own.

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Are you concern with the noise of the EWG? If so you can simply route the dump into the downpipe. Makes a HUGE difference in the noise.

Yeah I can see the cat being a huge restriction at over 22 psi. You are trying to push so much air at that point.

45. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Noise is not the concern. I just don't want to have to get a new wastegate and uppipe. Eliminating the backpressure from the cat should help promote engine longevity. The external wastegate should help some but for all practical purposes, I have reached my goals with the car. 430whp is plenty fast. Dropping the cat will probably give me a little more, but I don't want to start breaking things.

46. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Now your life is like a giant, eternal void....

47. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That makes perfect sense and I'm happy that you are happy Milo. I wouldn't want to change out all that either. Only reason I'm doing it to mine is I have to replace them anyways when I pull the engine for the 2.5L swap.

49. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Over the weekend, I ordered an Invidia V2 catless downpipe and an Invidia N1 racing catback (Thanks Sakari). Being unresonated, I wonder how loud/raspy it will sound. Can't wait till they come in. I'm going to put a wideband bung in the downpipe and have it installed as soon as possible.

50. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Can't wait to hear it. Congrats