The Life of the Black Knight

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by miloman, Sep 22, 2006.

1. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Hope it sounds good :).

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Its going to sound great :p

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

But that Blitz is so sexy sounding. It'll still sound wicked.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Thats the thing. I haven't heard an exhaust that I thought sounded better than the Nur Spec-R. But to eliminate any questions about back pressure, I want to go with a full 3 inch unresonated setup. This is probably the closest to a straight pipe I could get.

5. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Congrats bro!!

6. FACE

FACE Active Member

Can't Wait!!!

7. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

I have the Invidia V1 DP and Catback from Weapon WRX's wagon, souinds good and not too loud. The N1 is slightly louder IIRC.

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

New exhaust installed today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really like the look of the angled tip. It seems quieter than the blitz at idle, but louder when I am on it. Definitely raspier. Haven't put it on the dyno yet so I can't say how much, if any, I have gained in power with the swap. Butt dyno says it spools a little quicker too. But my butt dyno lies to me sometimes, so I'm going to wait till I can throw it on a real dyno before making any conclusive statements.

On my AVC-R, I had to turn the wastegate duty cycle down by 4% throughout the band to hit the same boost. IIRC, 4% change gave me about 3-4psi. I think that's a good indicator of how much back pressure I have freed up :)

9. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

awesome milo...I might have to get a ride tonight at the meet, but i definitely want to hear it

10. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I can't wait to see the numbers on that man!

Butt dyno FTW!!!

11. WJM

WJM Banned

muhahahahah.

Now you will have 6ty trillion powers!

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sweet 4% data change is pretty darn good. That number may seem small but that means nothing in the exhaust post turbo is holding you back now!

500hp hopefully is right around the corner. Are you gonna see if a retune helps or just gonna throw it on the dyno?

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I'll decide after I throw it on the dyno. If the gains are small, then I doubt there is much to gain with the tune. If the gains are big enough, then I might get it tuned.

I'm not chasing after a number. I'll be happy with whatever I make with safe AFRs. On the street in 4th gear, the car usually spikes about 27.5 psi, holds about 27 psi and tapers off to 25.5 psi. I don't think I want to run any more boost than that.

14. Hell yeah, congrats dude! Exhaust looks clean :naughty: bling bling lol.

15. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Oh I want a ride tonight!!
    interested in selling your old exhaust?

16. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Not a problem :)
    I will be selling the cat back section (Blitz Nur Spec-R) in a week or two. I want to make sure that there are no problems with the new setup before I get rid of the old stuff that worked. When I decide to sell it, I'll PM you before I post up a thread.

I am not sure if I intend to sell the downpipe. I need to look up emission laws in TX. I might need to swap downpipes for the yearly inspections :(

17. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Congrats Milo. I bet that you will really enjoy it. I am thinking seriously about the Invidia for my FXT also. I heard that they do well with Forester's. The STi looks BA as usual!!.

Mark:)

18. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

That exhaust is a beautiful piece of machinery, as is the car that it's on.

Good shit, my friend.

19. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Thank you for the kind words

20. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

looks really good man!!

21. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Milo thanks again for the ride in that beast your car is SICK! Danielle was talking about you car all the way home and shes actually down with me getting more powa Thanks :rofl: !!!!!

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Are you going to be moving to TX? Or do you just work there during the summers?

23. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Looks awesome man! Invidia has some of the best quality parts I have ever seen.

From the pics it looks like you tapped another bung for the downpipe. Did you?

24. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I am guessing that is for his wideband

25. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Not a problem at all. I'm happy you guys liked it :)

Moving next year :(

Yes. For the wideband.

26. Alex

Sounds just as I remember it :)

27. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Scary update :eek:hnoes:

Noticed that the car was running lean at WOT. How lean you ask? 14+ AFR in 4th before I lifted :eek:hnoes:

This obviously scared the shit out of me. I called Scott and turns out that I blew off the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator. What a shitty design. There was no nipple to hold the vacuum line on. I know I am running a lot more boost than stock, but I could slide the line on and off, no problem. I need to zip tie the shit out of them.

The car seems to be running fine. Pulled hard. No oil in the catch can. No CEL. I'll be very lucky if I didn't break something. Compression and leak down tests coming up in the near future :eek:hnoes:.

Anyone else running high boost experience the same problem? I would recommend everyone secure that line well.

28. WJM

WJM Banned

replace that line with a smaller ID line with a thicker wall=problem solved.

29. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Yeah, I noticed that on my car when I did my upgrade.

I didn't have it blow off on me, but I did exactly what Will said and haven't had a problem since.

Hopefully you caught it fast enough that it didn't do any damage.

30. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Wideband saves the day !

I had it happen to me once. I bet your fine because you caught it quickly.

31. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Well, my first thought was that maybe the wideband was going bad. But then the stock O2 sensor also started reading high.

The messed up thing is that it still pulled real hard and smooth. I had no reason to believe that something was wrong.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  32. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Pulling hard and smooth means it didn't pull timing from knock which is what usually does the pistons in. You were running super high egt's but only for a very brief time.

I really think you'll be ok.

33. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

If you were running leaner it's gonna pull harder until the ECU says woah and yanks the timing....that's the scary thing.

34. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

It started to take timing away, which is why I checked the wideband

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Good thing you were paying attention. With souped up cars like that you 'have' to pay attention.

36. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Been a while since I posted an update :)

The vacuum line issue never repeated itself. The car has been running great since then. I had some issues during the Dallas summer. After driving around during hot afternoons, the car would drop the advance multiplier. Scott immediately sent me new maps with greater compensation and the problem seems to be gone. Thanks again Scott :bigthumb:

37. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Good to hear from you stranger! Glad to hear the STi is still running great!

38. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Dude, I saw that Dallas was over 100 degrees the other day, how are you dealing with that??

39. Alex

Turn the AC down lower :)

40. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

dallas has been 107 once this year... i almost died.

41. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Summers are always hot in Dallas but I don't remember it being this humid the last 2 years. In fact the AC in my apartment can barely maintain 75 degrees during the day.

42. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

you need one of those AC units they had in the hotel in Alabama! You could raise a family of penguins in that room...

43. Alex

In the room we had @ TGP ?

44. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

:pssh::keke:

45. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I pee'd an ice cube that morning...

46. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

hahaa... I kept thinking I was the only one that was cold so I didn't want to say anything! My sleeping bag is rated at 40 and I was shivering!

47. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I am officially out of the Subaru owner's community. I sold the STi 2 days ago, and got into something that is as much, if not more fun :D

I'll post some pics this weekend. Some of you already know what it is, so don't spoil the fun ;)

48. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

So this time you're for real, huh?

49. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

50. techlord

techlord Active Member

hmmm what could be as much or more fun than an AWD 400hp suby.

Skyline is all that comes to mind. I can't wait to find out.