The Life of the Black Knight

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by miloman, Sep 22, 2006.

1. CHEMSOLDIER27

CHEMSOLDIER27 Member

He's using a Deadbolt Superzilla 65. :wiggle:

2. CHEMSOLDIER27

CHEMSOLDIER27 Member

:bowdown: The beast is coming alive. Igor bring me the Superzilla.:bowdown:

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I was talking about Nitro's car...

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Can you guys elaborate on the shake of death?

5. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

just wondering............can tuning compensate for this? thus allowing me to install?:sad:

6. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

You can tune all you want but in the end you can't circumvent physics. All else being equal a properly sized IC would be better for you.

7. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I agree....it is very dead sexy!! :bowdown:

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Just so you guys know....I had my Perrin FMIC on for two weeks before the 18g was put on and spool was only delayed 150 rpms. I also went to the track and times were only hurt by 1 hundredth of a second. Also had Cobb Accessport driving all of this so no changes were made. This myth about FMIC being much laggier is hugely exaggerated. Most people that see the huge spool difference are likely boost leaking and don't know about it because they still hit full boost however the turbo is working much much harder to do so. I have proved this on 3 different subies and after they installed t-clamps and made sure they had no leaks they realized how wrong they were.

However there are NO benefits to it unless you are planning in the future to go bigger.

9. 7wolf

7wolf Member

very nice milo. i'm very jealous. can't wait to get all my toys and intall..... soon, very soon.

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I have to respectfully disagree here. I briefly ran a front mount with a VF34 (which is a good bit larger than stock turbo) and going from that to the Perrin top mount made a BIG difference in feel. And no, it wasn't leaking...

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i believe the biggest difference would probably be throttle response versus boost threshold... i have a leak right now so i cant really justify that... do u agree moose?

12. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Man, Milo, that really looks nice...Rob was telling me how interesting the install was...I am glad that you have it on now..It looks very cool bro....I can't wait to get a FMIC on the wagon...Looks Great!!!.

Mark

13. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yep, I agree 100%. The car just felt less responsive overall.

My point to Nitro remains: too much IC on stock turbo just won't do anything good for your car. You'll get pretty much no benefit and it'll reduce how well it drives. If he could swap straight up for a decent TMIC he would be better off.

14. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I know it's changed how my car runs and I've got a 2.5L block. I can't imagine how much it'd
    affect the driving characteristics on a 2L block.

I agree with Moose. See if you can find someone to trade you straight up for a bigger top mount.
    Maybe they'll throw you a little cash in as well.
    **Unless, you've got bigger turbo plans....soon**

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I dunno....maybe it's the insane amount of timing I'm running down low on the car but it responds great. It almost feels like the old stocker.

16. Bolderer

Bolderer Member

Looking good Milo. Every time I stop in to your journal thread your car has gotten a little more baddass. You should have gone with black piping for the IC FTW. I guess then it would have just clashed with your intake manifold, whatever, looks great. Definitely mean LOOKING. I hope you get all of the mechanical stuff worked out so that it will BE mean.

17. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i cant wait man... im waiting on some clamps to come in and i'll go ahead and get it pressure tested

18. Cape Cod

Cape Cod Member

mmmmmmmm sexy bro. who did that freakin sweeeeeeeet body work. thats right. lets go to chow baby baby.

19. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

What are your plans as far as the clutch is concerned?

20. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

stock as long as it lasts :p

21. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

Sounds like a plan! I look forward to seeing how well it holds up.

Also going to use the stock bypass valve on this setup? And what advantages does the AVC-R have over an upgraded boost control solenoid (EBCS specifically)?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  22. pEd

^^ He's got an APS valve, last I saw it anyways.
    Also, the AVCR provides gear specific boost settings.

23. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

yup... i have the APS twin vent BOV that recircs at low boost and works 50/50 at higher boost... i wanted to make sure i had something that would recirc... but i also had to replace the stocker due to the possibility of running higher boost with meth in the future

though the AVC-R is not really 'needed' right now, i got it for a couple reasons:

1) gear dependent boost would help me reach target boost in lower gears, something that is good for cars with larger turbos
    2) i plan to get meth in the future... when i do, i was planning to go with the AVC-R
    3) if i get my 93 map tuned on the EBCS, and then add an AVC-R when i get meth, then my 93 map will require tuning... on the other hand, if i get my 93 map tuned with the AVC-R, i could possibly leave that map untouched when i go with meth

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ummm Milo you aren't gonna try to boost a little more when you go with the meth? I know my 93 map is almost 4 psi lower than my meth map. Can the AVC-R 'memorize' more than one setting per gear like the SAFC II can 'memorize' two different fuel settings?

25. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

thats y i got the avc-r... according to SS, there are 2 independent maps for each gear

if i go with meth, i'll probably have a 26 psi daily driven map... and a 28psi fun map :D

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Even better. Hey Milo send your meth pump back to Steve at SMC and he will put in the new seals. Mine has yet to leak and it pumps more meth than before. SS really was impressed with it.

27. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

siegel has my kit...

28. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

seems like we got the leaks fixed this past weekend... at least i can't hear any... hopefully will be able to pressure test it this coming weekend

on another note, the injectors are waiting for me at the tech post office... the collection of parts is now complete :)

just gotta find the time to put everything together

29. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

big thanks to will for all the work he put into this

intake manifold removed
    [​IMG]

stupid TGV butterflies... bye bye
    [​IMG]

stock wrx turbo, stock STi turbo and my new turbo... can u guess which one is which? :D
    [​IMG]

now... the dirtyness
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tuning to come on tuesday :)

30. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

very nice sir

Looking foward to seeing what kind of power it makes

31. pEd

that's a great pic of your turbo sitting there without the tgv's in.
    It shows exactly why you need to do the tgv deletes to run a 3" inlet on a
    stock mount location.

As Matt said, can't wait to see what she'll do.

32. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i can't wait either :D

oh by the way, will finished putting everything together in barely any time... according to him, the install was much easier than the FP red because everything just fit beautifully

33. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Did you just remove the butterfly valve from the tumblers or did you port out the divider too?

34. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

By the time I got there, most of the work was done. Looked like a lot of fun though :)

35. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

didn't port the divider... just took the butterflies out

36. Demo24

Demo24 Member

Very nice!

What kind of power are you wanting to get?

37. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

dunno... im gonna wait till tuesday :D

38. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

wish i could have made it out, ill be there on tuesday :dirty:

39. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

Very nice milo congratz you lucky fuc%er...:drool:

40. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

awesome man! keep us posted. :bigthumb:

41. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Is there any DIY's about deleting the butterfly valves? I am interested, but am not sure about time, effort, and tools required.

42. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

the hardest part is taking off the intake manifold... i dont know of any DIYs but i doubt i'd ever do it myself...

43. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

It's quite a bit of effort. Its the kind of thing you do if you already have to take the intake manifold off.

44. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i agree completely... also i have heard that the gains, if any, are marginal for the amount of work required to delete the TGVs

i had to do it for 2 reasons:
    1) 3 inch inlet stock mount turbos require TGV deletes for fitment
    2) APS solid inlet tube requires intake manifold removal for installation

45. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

There are tons of threads about this on NASIOC. Just do a search for TGV. There are a couple really good threads about it with pictures and everything. Some seem to think it is a very good option, others do not. I have been told that it is marginal gains due to the fact that the heads are the largest restriction. AZScoobie claims the stock intake will flow 1000 cfm even with the tgv's.

46. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

When Jason STIs car was built (35R etc) it was dynoed with and without the tgvs removed and there was almost zero gain in power, we will be doing my tgvs soon so Ill report back on what we find.

Matt

47. Greg

Greg Active Member

I know theres no way in hell that your paying for all the shit thats under the hood of that car by doing tune-ups, and selling groceries... Whatever your in on, I want in on it too!

Heh... Ironic thing is... He actually looks like Vin :)

48. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

click here for my secret

really think so?
    [​IMG]

49. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

hahaha..is that your new corner carver

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned