The Monster Wagon- in progress

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Sparta, Mar 6, 2008.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I second. IMO springs dont make that big of a difference on stock struts. Aesthetically they'll look great but 20lbs increase in stiffness per corner is not that big of a difference.

Therein lies the problem of being a wagon owner; the lack of any affordable aftermarket struts. You can put Konis into your stock struts or you can do a sedan widetrack conversion and put anything else in.

2. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

I disagree with the coil vs springs Ive got whitline springs on both cars and the both handle considerably better with a good alignment for only the quarter of the price as coilovers. Plus like GTScoob said after market wagon coilovers are pricey as hell.

3. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Im not on Stock struts

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

So Finally its turning into the Monster I hoped to create.

The setup now is:

2006 Sti 2.5 LShortblock,
    WRX heads,
    Port and Polished VF39 turbo,
    TGV delete
    Sti Sidefeed injectors,
    Mishimoto Radiator,
    Obx lightweight pulley,
    Sti TMIC
    Cobb AP2.0

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drum roll please....

[​IMG]

Thanks to Kingwrex, Ped, Liquidforce, ScoobyBLKWRX, bc2003uga, Face, OneIguy, Strayen, 2.5rs, and Jason
    for helping this project come together. With as many members that turned wrenches on this car I think its
    safe to say it is truly a WRXATLANTA project car. Also thanks to everyone that came to hang out and everyone who
    encouraged support on these boards.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  5. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Sweeet pics bro!!

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Ah! You deleted the second pics post for me while I was editing the first lol, I'll repost them

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

No pics of my beautiful tgvs??

Haha. Get it tuned!

8. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Congrats again dude. You need to take me for a ride

9. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Big :bigthumb: that is sexy. Have fun with it.:) ^^^ I call next...

10. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

wow, good stuff fellas....looks like a really clean install! i bet you can't wait to fire that bad boy up...

11. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

very nice!!

12. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Very Clean, Very clean.
    Wish mine was that clean
    Right hand drive legacy= very long wires.

13. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

It fired up right after we found out we got the fuel lines crossed. Right now it runs fine until 4k when the injectors dump too much fuel due to the ecu needing to be tuned to the sti sidefeed injectors.

I have an appointment with SS Thursday so not much longer before she's running to her potential! Right now I noticed it hits about 16 psi by 3k and the turbo sounds frigging sweet thanks to Mike's port job and Jake's TGV deletes.

14. FACE

FACE Active Member

Bump it up so Dana will reveal the numbers

:naughty:

15. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

lol thanks Alex, I was just getting to that...

Well the first run was pretty disappointing as I watched my car do pull after pull on the dyno only to see it make numbers ranging between 240 and 265. :wtc:

Finally Scott climbs out and pops the hood and says something to the extent that I have a leak somewhere and sure enough after inspection we noticed the turbo inlet tube was not on all the way. After tightening it we started seeing the numbers I hoped for as the charts displayed high 200 hp / mid 300 tq. Then Scott climbs out and says I still have a leak somewhere pre-turbo preventing my waste gate to go higher than 17 psi. He plays around with it a little more and I leave TopSpeed with a tune around 298 hp/333 tq. On the road Scott did a couple of pulls and OMG this thing puts you in the seat and with 4 people in the car! I know Steven saw the big grin on my face from the back seat as Scott tweaked it some more and he noticed it held 18.3 lbs of boost putting me somewhere over the 300 awhp mark.

This was alot higher than I was expecting as Jake went on and on about how his car made 290 with higher flowing injectors. I think the numbers had a little to do with Kingwrex's sweat drops embedded in the motor because Alex's STI put down impressive numbers for an untuned STI, too :coolugh:. Maybe the "Built By Kingwrex" sticker does add Horsepower afterall?

I have to congratulate Scott for tackling this crazy set up with his expertise. I will never forget the look he gave when we told him I was using STI sidefeed injectors. He just kinda paused for a minute or two repeating it in his head. Its amazing watching this guy work and point out tiny details and magically throwing in numbers to create the perfect recipe to feed my beast. I am so glad he was able to slide me in two weeks ahead of schedule and send me home a satisfied customer. :bowdown:

16. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

congrats again on the car bro

17. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

Thats awesome hear man now I HAVE to get tuned to keep up with SPARTA!!!

Burch

18. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Dude, that is awesome!! Your car must be a monster now!

I wanna ride in it..lol.

19. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

fawk yeah!!!!

Good to hear the numbers. Now you need a "You just got beat by a wagon" sticker.

20. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

the STI wagon is born! Damn dude your numbers are up there with mine congrats!

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Congrats man. Siegel knows his stuff!

I'm surprised however that you stuck with a stock turbo inlet tube though! With that intake manifold off that was the perfect time to install one.

22. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I tried to get a group buy going for some but our vendor was out of stock and when it came time to do the swap I couldn't afford one since I haven't been working. One day though I'll just have to deal with it installing one. While I'm doing that I may do bigger injectors or something as well.

23. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah yeah. i don't care its not my car anymore. haha. but i'm glad you're happy with it. it should slake your lust for quite some time.

24. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

That was officially the first WRX with side-feeds that Doug or I have ever seen. It was interesting because the certain values that I'd have wanted to adjust were not adjustable. I was pleased with how it turned out, except that if it had held another half pound on the dyno it would have been well over 300whp. On the street it holds almost a full pound more at peak hp...

Siegel

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So doing the side feed isn't beneficial from a tuning standpoint? If he had top feeds with JDM pinks you would've been able to tune it better?

26. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

so we did a good job? very glad to hear the car tuned well!!

ps. scott you need to pm about the deck stuff and all that jazz!!

oh and welcome to the 300+whp club dana.....feels good don't it?

27. siegelracing

Why would side-feed be better? The injector latency values for the side-feed cars have different voltages, which are not adjustable, so I had to "calculate" them. Not that it would have "been tuned better" just that I would have had existing latency's.

Siegel

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I never said they were better....just looking for further explanation of what you stated....knowledge is power!

29. siegelracing

???

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Are you dyslexic :rofl: Read the ENTIRE sentence man. I asked would you have been about to tune it better/easier if it had the topfeeds.

31. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Big congrats on a successful swap! Nothing like getting the final icing on the cake in, "the tune". I enjoy Scott's tune everyday I drive my car. It is the most consistent and reliable map I have ever run in a vehicle, it is practically weather proof:bigthumb:!

If you ever want to do an install day, group buy regarding the turbo inlet let me know. I need one something fierce! The fitment of the stock over my
    Bg16g was down right scary, but it is holding:eek:hnoes:!

Good luck be careful!

32. osborne519

osborne519 Member

wagons ftw

33. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

yes! :bowdown:

34. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

So what should the next mod be after I switch my tranny out?

35. pEd

brakes!

36. Jake

Jake Active Member

tranny, brakes, then whatever you want. preferably a slightly larger turbo

37. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

i know i'm going bigger, and going FMIC too!!

38. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea, I'm gonna get 17" wheels and the 06 4 pot brakes.

I just remembered the chunks of teeth that came out of my rear diff :wtc:

39. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I'm sure you could get a set of 06-07 wrx wheels for cheap, and i'm sure you could find 4pots on nasioc pretty easy....

as for the rear diff, probably not going to last very much longer with the new found WHP....just a thought....

40. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea I've already got a rear diff waiting for me :naughty: But that will most likely be the next mod while I am paying off everything

41. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

R160 is what all of the newer 2.5 WRXs use so it should handle the power just fine. If you're worried throw some quality fluid in it or wire up a differential oil cooler.

42. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

how she sits after the coilover drop.

[​IMG]

43. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

hot dude...i really like the way my old wheels look on the bugeyes.....good job bro..

44. pEd

what coilovers did you get??

Get up to Topspeed and get it corner balanced, then go get a good alignment at GTE.

45. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Megans
    yea. Im broke though.

46. techlord

techlord Active Member

Very nice Dana!

Doesn't GTE do corner balancing?

47. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

anyone good at getting dents popped out? that fender looks terrible

48. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Very sexy!

49. Jake

Jake Active Member

I was gonna ask about the fender. If you know of a "dent wizard" retail shop around you can use this gift card I have for one free dent removal.

50. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

love the wheels and drop... looks really good... wagons ftw