The sushi debate...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by slowwrx, Nov 25, 2008.

1. totsubo

totsubo Member

Watanabe-san... yeah, he was one one of the top three Japanese chefs in Atlanta.

2. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

In Chicago where I am from I ate at a place called Kotobuki, owners name as well. We used to sit down for hours and joke. He would make a variety of hand rolls and challenge me with his Wasabe; crazy hot. He had an incrdible wasabe recipe with a smokey flavor. I think he used egg yokes in it. He retired but I'll enver forget his wasabe!

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

We still need to go get sushi one night.

4. Tanakas is prob. my wife's(and her dozen Japanese siblings) favorite sushi place. They also like Umezonos and Haru Ichiban.

5. Does anyone go to Sushi Mito? It used to be Sushi Yoshi, which used to be Sushi Yoko (well where the location is currently) IIRC...pretty sure it is the same.

Its fairly close to where I live, which is the Brunswick at Peachtree Corners. Its gotten very modern looking, but I still think the quality and value is pretty good. Bento box at dinner is about 20 dollars, but it comes with sushi, sashimi, chicken teriyaki and shrimp tempera.

And has anyone been to this Sushi buffet place? Its called Sushi Zutto, its on 4000 N Point Pkwy, Alpharetta, GA 30022.

My friend found it online on a review site, I was extremely weary of a "sushi buffet" but oddly the reviewer said he thought Haru and Yoko were one of the best, so he knew what he was talking about atleast..

I had a very good experience there, you order what you want and they make it fresh. I thought the quality was extremely good, considering it was an all-you-can eat style for about 18 dollars..BUT DONT ORDER MORE YOU CAN EAT. They will charge you..my friend went and he ordered too much with his friends and ended up eating it because no one else could. He thoroughly threw up at my house afterward (while praising the place..ironically). I think we always end up eating hundred of dollars worth of sushi each time.

Heres the review with some pics.

http://www.chowdownatlanta.com/sushi-zutto/

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  6. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

yes we do... let's def do something in january, my december is shot to hell. mf or mf buckhead?

7. slowwrx

You down for the 250 dollar each private Chefs experience in Buckhead....lol

8. monk

:eek3: that's a bit rich for my new "the economy is in the shit" budget. i can do 100-150$/person.

9. slowwrx

LOL I was kidding, I haven't been to the Buckhead one so lets check it out.

10. slowwrx

I'm going to order lots of frozen fish

11. monk

oh, one place across the stree from mall of ga, Niko Niko... some of you guys try it out and let me know what you think. the rice was quite good, the fish was fresh and the wasabi was fresh grated (pretty rare find).

if he's kept his quality up, i would like to see him stay in business so check him out.

12. monk

fail.

lolz

13. slowwrx

Fresh Wasabi is pretty rare

14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yeah that's pretty uncommon. real wasabi is pretty expensive unlike the green colored horseradish you get at places

15. totsubo

totsubo Member

Went to Yoko for lunch.

The head chef sent the table I was sitting some tuna, salmon and flounder sashimi. Confirmed, still some of the best in Atlanta.

16. gfred024

gfred024 Member

There is a lot of false statements in this thread.
    There is such a thing called "The Food Danger Zone" which is between 40 degrees-140 degrees farenheit where bacteria and harmful parasites are MOST active. So anything severed cold must be served under 40 degrees and anything served hot must be served over 140 degrees. You can serve raw fish that has not been frozen as long as it is served under 40 degrees. Now sushi places that are not that busy may freeze fish to be cost effective and busy sushi places may freeze fish that is on the menu and is not that popular or exotic fish that is hard to get. But they do not HAVE to freeze it first that is rediculous. Just freezing something does not kill bacteria or parasites (they are just dormant) so as soon as it warms above 40 degrees the critters become active again. Ever froze a fly then thawed him out? At places where you might eat something in "The Danger Zone" (ex. Rare Steak, Over-Easy Eggs and Sushi/Sashimi) you wil notice a disclaimer on the menu that says: "It may be harmful to consume undercooked or raw Fish, Eggs or Meats". So you assume the risk by consuming those foods. If you get sick at a sushi restaurant and call the health dept. they will come in and do an investigation and as long as the foods they are serving are stored correctly, labled, dated and at the proper temperature they are not at fault because of the disclaimer. Also there is more than one distributer of fish you can buy fresh fish or frozen fish. Exotic fish or fish that is out of season may have to come in frozen. Also with raw items like tar-tar and carppaccio the meat is slightly frozen because it is easier to slice it very thin when it is froze. If you have ever been to a Korean BBQ most of your meat will come to the table frozen because if it comes thawed and sits at room temp it will be in "The Danger Zone" before you cook it. Just a little food for thought!!!

17. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Good info......I think I have enterred the danger zone often?!?!?!?

18. monk

very true. parasites are there or they aren't (or they are introduced through cross contamination).

also worth mentioning is how important that foods are brought to serving temp as quickly as possible-passing through the 40-140 bracket quickly. 4hrs is the safe "lifespan" of served food. if it sits at room temp at more than that, throw it out. i usually assume served food has already "spent" 1-2 hours in "danger"

side notes: sashimi is NOT something you save for leftovers and wasabi/real bamboo leaf separators are there for more than seasoning (antibacterial) and presentation (highly tannic). sushi chefs use tezu for hangiri prep, hand cleaning and knife cleaning - which consists of vinegar, salt and water - a mild antibacterial as well as a good antisticky mix. a properly trained sushi chef will go to great lengths to follow tradition in preparation of himself and the ingredients. there's a reason people in japan are not dropping like flies from parasitic/bacterial infection.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  19. gfred024

gfred024 Member

^^Very true you should never take a to-go box if you cant finish all your sushi!!

20. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

stopped reading at "freezing does not kill parasites"

21. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Why cuz freezing does not kill all parasites, A deep freeze (liquid nitrogen) can kill some parasites but not every sushi restaurant has one of those. This may help:

Of course nobody will tell you (or they tell you it is needed to kill parasites), but be sure the fish hasn't been in the freezer. You can tell because fish that has been in the freezer is tasteless and 'watery'.

Supermarket-salmon often isn't very fresh and sometimes 'slightly prepared', to increase shelf-life.

Parasites
    Americans in general are quite frantic about raw food, and American sites therefore will tell you that sweet-water fish has to be deep-frozen before consumption. In the USA the FDA in it's infinite wisdom has decided that the almost negligible risk of absorbing parasites should be totally eliminated. Fish that is intended to be consumed in its raw form, has to be deep-frozen first, by law, while freezing does not kill nematodes. Luckily, the FDA has no jurisdiction over the retail operation in general; "the serving of sushi does not fall under their purview". Also see the FDA on seafood
    Strangly, the FDA does not mind that the risk of absorbing mutagenic HCA from cooked fish is 100%; cooked fish always contains mutagenic HCA

In fact, absorbing parasites from fish that can cause ill effects, can easily be prevented. Simply stay away from the internal organs, and consume fresh raw red tuna, or farm raised salmon instead of wild salmon.

In the main there are three kinds of parasites to look out for in raw fish: flukes (trematodes), nematodes (roundworms) and tapeworms (cestodes).

Flukes are too big to remain unnoticed. They also are extremely rare.

Nematodes look like big, but short human hair (25-150 mm long, 2 mm in diameter). They lie perpendicular to the fishes' muscle striations (the pattern of striae in the flesh) and have a white translucent sheen. Any merchant - who wants to make sure his customers will not get ill - can detect them using ultrasound.
    In particular wild salmon may contain roundworms, but farm raised salmon hardly ever does. There also have been case reports of roundworms from raw Yellowfin tuna causing ill effects in humans. Furtunately, nematodes cannot survive in humans, and only may cause temporary ill effects, such as bloating, cramping and diarrhea.

Tapeworm is the only type of worm that can survive in humans, but their intake can be easily prevented. Tapeworms are found in the internal organs (especially the intestines) and body cavities of the fish. You can avoid ingesting them by only eating the flesh of the fish, staying away from all organs. Tuna does not contain tapeworms.
    Fortunately, tapeworms can be easily eliminated with medicines.

The risk of absorbing parasites that can cause ill effects is extremely small; less than 40 US citizens get ill each year by consuming fish containing parasites (in general due to an immune deficiency or due to having consumed some digestive part of the fish). In comparison: every year thousands of US citizens are bitten by snakes.

Of all fish, consuming raw red tuna is safest. Farm raised salmon is much safer than wild salmon. Consuming raw fish other than tuna, you just need to make sure not to consume any digestive organ of the fish, that you check the flesh of the fish, and that your immune system is working properly, so that your body is perfectly able to prevent any possible parasytic infection.

22. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

tl;dr

23. monk

piont benig-traditional (edit: clarify "traditional' 32F/0C) freezing does not always kill all, so i wouldn't bet the farm on it... what i find more interesting is that no one is concerned about the mercury and pcb concentrations (which are quite high in chu-toro, toro and o-toro), found in many of the more desireable sashimi. which cannot be removed by any means. something to think about if you eat sushi often.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  24. totsubo

totsubo Member

Covers all of Georgia:
    http://health.state.ga.us/pdfs/environmental/Food/Misc/FSFoodSpecSheet.pdf

"PARASITE DESTRUCTION: Freezing fish for parasite destruction: (1) -4oF (-20oC) or colder for 168 hours or 7 days; OR (2) -31oF (-35oC) or
    colder for 15 hours; OR (3) -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and stored at -4°F (-20°C) or below for a minimum of 24 hours. Includes written
    agreement if frozen by supplier, or if frozen by the PIC, then records retained at facility for 90 days. (Except certain species of tuna: Yellow fin;
    Bluefin, Northern & Southern; and Bigeye.)
    "

Covers Cobb County only and in addition to the state of Georgia's regulations:
    http://www.cobbanddouglaspublicheal... Regulations/Cobb Food Service Code final.pdf

"4. Fish, other than molluscan shellfish, that are intended for consumption in their raw
    form may be offered for sale or service in a food service establishment not serving a highly
    susceptible population if they are obtained from a supplier that freezes the fish to destroy
    parasites; or frozen on the premises and records are retained.
    "

"(d) Parasite Destruction.
    1. Except as specified in 2 of this subsection, before service or sale in ready-to-eat form,
    raw, raw-marinated, partially cooked, or marinated-partially cooked fish shall be:
    (i) Frozen and stored at a temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for a minimum of 7 days (168
    290-5-14-.04 Food. (5) Pathogen Destruction. (d) Parasite Destruction. 1. (cont.)
    hours) in a freezer;
    (ii) Frozen at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and stored at -31°F (-35°C) or below for a
    minimum of 15 hours; or
    (iii) Frozen at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and stored at -4°F (-20°C) or below for a
    minimum of 24 hours.
    2. The requirement in 1 of this subsection does not apply to:
    (i) Molluscan shellfish;
    (ii) Tuna of the species Thunnus alalunga, Thunnus albacares (Yellowfin tuna),
    Thunnus atlanticus, Thunnus maccoyii (Bluefin tuna, Southern), Thunnus obesus (Bigeye tuna), or
    Thunnus thynnus (Bluefin tuna, Northern); or
    (iii) Aquacultured fish, such as salmon, that:
    (I) If raised in open water, are raised in net-pens, or
    (II) Are raised in land-based operations such as ponds or tanks, and
    (III) Are fed formulated feed, such as pellets, that contains no live parasites
    infective to the aquacultured fish.
    "

25. slowwrx

My wife (who ha a degree in Biology and a Masters in Neuro Biology) just laughed at this thread and said stop arguing with people on the internet.

LoL

26. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

we should still get sushi!

We need to give that Sushi House a try off of 285 and buford highway

27. monk

how else are we supposed to burn time?

28. Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd Member

i would have to agree with Matt, hes taken me to MF and there is no way that stuff is frozen.

Rusans, thats another story :vomit:

29. Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd Member

You should prob ask George since hes in the "fish selling" business

30. totsubo

totsubo Member

This is me. I sell fish too:

[​IMG]

31. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

^^^that's Ege correct!?

I went there last night after reading this thread...very good stuff and I like the atmosphere...and the hot towels.

32. totsubo

totsubo Member

Yeah, that is Ege Sushi... but, you did not see the guy in the picture last night did you?

33. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

parasite destruction YAY!

edit: totsubo I'm gonna try and come up to your place sometime with matt if he's game (probably not)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  34. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Yes I did, that's how I recognized the place. He has a bit shorter hair than the picture but i'm pretty sure that's him.

35. totsubo

totsubo Member

@keeganxt:

WHAHAHA!

Seriously, that is me in that picture. I was off Monday and Tuesday.

@nicad:

Sure, come on by. :)

36. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

unless they filet it right there in front of you while its still alive and the gills still gaping for air. like most restaurants in teh orient.

37. totsubo

totsubo Member

If you guys come into Ege, order the Chirashi.

[​IMG]

It is bad ass. It will fill you up too.

[​IMG]

38. slowwrx

Looks delicious

39. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I guess I stand corrected. We're definitely planning on coming up there again, with friends.

40. Jake

Jake Active Member

told you so, keegan

41. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

lets get a group and go, I am starving over here

and it is almost 2pm so all the sushi places are closed

42. totsubo

totsubo Member

Come on by. I should get there around 7 PM today... Still in the office.

43. Jake

Jake Active Member

im in savannah, only decent sushi here.

44. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

OT: I believe I saw you on sandy plains tonight 9:30ish...unless there's another black GTR in east cobb.

45. slowwrx

I'm going to try and stop by next week sometime, that looks pretty tasty. Hows the Otoro, any Monk fish Liver?

Matt

46. totsubo

totsubo Member

That was probably Robert. I was still at work. I did not leave until 11:15. I saw Matt last night on the way home.

hehehe

47. totsubo

totsubo Member

48. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

nicad and I were debating sushi tonight....what are the specials, Terry?

49. totsubo

totsubo Member

50. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

more like, can you hook me up with cheap raw fish?

we're in a RECESSION