Timing belt change

Discussion in 'General Community' started by 02wrx84, Nov 10, 2014.

1. 02wrx84

02wrx84 Member

At what milage do i need to do a timing belt change, have seen some say at 100,000 and ive seen some say at around 109,000. I know the sooner the better but just trying to find out, my car has around 92xxx on it so it will be coming up. Also how easy or hard is it to do yourself? Im pretty good with fixing and replacing stuff on cars so was thinking about saving money.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

it's part of the 100k service. so change it at 100k. Where are you seeing 109k?

3. 02wrx84

02wrx84 Member

Dont remember now where i saw that. Well i still have a little while before i hit 100k. Trying to decide when the time comes if i want to do it myself or pay to have it done. How much is labor for timing belt change?

4. Justin V

Justin V Member

Depends if you do cam seals. I've had mine off and retimed 4 times in the last month.

pull radiator
    accessory belts
    covers
    then you're there.

5. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

100K but I personally go 10k less than all mfg service scheduled t-belts on my own cars.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

at 10+yo and not knowing if it's been replaced, I'd do it asap along with new pulleys, tensioner and a water pump... if doing cam seals might as well do the valve covers

7. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Gonna second this. It's not a ton of money to make sure your engine doesn't destroy itself. The biggest thing I would be scared of is the age of all of the rubber, not so much the mileage.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  8. orndog

orndog Member

Plus there are kits available online that include all that stuff for one low (relatively) price.

9. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

Just go with the OEM kit. Its worth it in the end. There's no aftermarket brand (including the Gates Racing Beld/HKS/Greddy etc) that will outperform the OEM product in this area.

10. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea I forgot to do my cam seals when I pulled mines apart...regretting it now :(. I was staring at the seals to. To lazy to pull everything apart again.

11. orndog

orndog Member

I wasn't specific, but yes an OEM kit, which can be purchased through sellers at less than full OEM MSRP.