Dealer Review Troncalli Subaru in Cumming...

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by K. Marx, Aug 12, 2011.

1. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Hmmm... I'm a little hesitant to post this, but I think it might make me feel a little better.

Called up there the other day and spoke at some length with a guy about a used, 2005 Forester XT 4EAT they have on the lot (the wife is looking for a small SUV). The price (right at fifteen grand) was decent, until you take into account a $500 doc fee and sales tax. That's the way dealers work, though, and my question was whether they would be willing to work on the price. His response was a resolute "yes," so I thought it would be worth pushing through traffic to get up to Cumming and check it out.

Once I got there, the car looked okay and it drove well, although it was a bit more scratched up than I hoped. Still, it was pretty nice, and I decided to talk hard numbers with the salesman I originally spoke with over the phone because he wasn't there the evening I drove it. (I'm an ex-car saleman, so I know it can be frustrating to work a deal and have a customer switch to another person when it's time to buy).

I offered 14,500 out the door. (Perhaps a little over optimistic, but hey, you have to start somewhere when haggling, right?)

His reply? Something like, "We can do the exact same price that was on Autotrader, and not a penny less. We are under what we have in it as is."

Uh... A bit different than what I was told when I first called to see if the car was worth seeing, eh? If I had known that, I wouldn't have wasted my evening going to see it to begin with. 16,500 out of my pocket (after tax and doc fee) for a 2005, 56,000 mile Forester that needs paint work? (For starters, there is a deep, foot long scratch down the driver's door.) No thanks.

Eh, maybe I'm being a little baby because I didn't get my way. Still, I sure wish the salesman had been more honest at the outset. I didn't do that when I was selling. Even if it was an honest mistake, it wouldn't hurt to double check with the manager before tossing out an answer. Just sayin.'

/whine session

The car in question:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...pe=b&num_records=25&cardist=39&standard=false

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Keep looking,i got our '07 for alittle more from a person not a dealer...but had to go out of state.

Check subaruforester.org

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

3. I looked at that XT when I was there in June but I really want an 09+ at this point and no $ anyways. I'm really surprised they didn't work with you on the price but I can understand if they're already at their bottom line. That's where I bought my WRX and my parents bought their Outbacks. The sales and finance managers know us by name..... Who did you talk to? I can't believe it hasn't sold. I didn't see it the other day when we were there for Travis' oil change.

4. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

^^^

True. Even if they really don't have near that much in it, if that's the least they'll take, so be it. They have as much right to determine their profits as anyone, but as said, I just wish they had stated their inflexibility at the outset instead of saying they would work with the price only to do a complete about face once I went there and looked at it. After claiming that they could have at least spotted me a dollar, lol.

Even though I don't really like mentioning names online, since you asked I'll admit that the salesman I tried to work with was Bob. Seemed like a nice guy otherwise.

I've just had some bad luck trying to haggle with dealers over the past year or so. I tried haggling on a Mitsubishi Evo up in TN, and when my first offer was three grand below what they were asking, the salesman just turned around and walked off. I went into the BMW dealer in Union City in regard to an advertised special on a used 530i sport, only to have a salesman tell me it was a misprint and they wouldn't go below window price. Two days later I found out it sold to someone else... for the advertised price.

WTF?:confused:

Ah well... We've all been frustrated by dealers, I suppose. As I'm about to show, it's a non issue now.

5. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

As much as I would have liked to have a Forester XT, this is the wife's car, and while she likes Foresters, she likes the previous generation CR-V better. I ran across this, called the guy yesterday evening, and went and picked up this one this morning:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/2501560485.html

While a little unusual (notice it has V6 Mustang wheels on it), the combo looks great in person, and it is in RIDICULOUSLY good condition. The wife is thrilled and we got a decent price (with no tax or doc fee crap) so I'm happy.

In the meantime, maybe one of you manage to give the aforementioned FXT a good home.

6. Hopefully someone will give the XT a good home. Troncalli is a great dealership. They're definitely doing something right, cars don't sit on their lot for long but I think SOK does more performance sales. Last time we were at Troncalli they were selling two outbacks at the same time. Always very nice so we still give them the thumbs up. :clap: