TSM heads to VIR for UTCC

Discussion in 'TopSpeed Motorsports' started by Cicio@TopSpeed, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

Just thought I would throw this out there to let everyone know what is happening this weekend. The Topspeed Team is heading up to VIR for Grassroots 2012 Ultimate Track Car Challenge. We are very excited to compete in this event. Grassroots was nice enough to extend us an invitation based on our win at One Lap of America. In the previous years the competition at Ultimate Track Car Challenge has been very stiff, we are sure this year will be no different.

Although the TSM GTR will not be wheeled by our friend Leh Keen this weekend, we hope to put on a good show and as always are shooting to finish in one of the top spots. I will be updating this thread throughout the day tomorrow with time and position of myself and other key competitors. I will also do my best to get as many pictures of the paddock and track action happening at VIR. As for now here are a couple of pictures of before we left, we currently are on the road and are an hour into our seven hour trip to Danville Virginia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  3. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wait...you're driving?!?!

4. Yes sir I am

5. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

This I am glad to hear. Time the shop owners step up to the plate and I've been watching Cicio...he's actually getting pretty dang good! Good luck on the track man.

6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Results?

7. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

How slow did Cicio go?

8. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

From the NAGTROC thread.

Well guys I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement. Unfortunately the day didn't go quite as planned.

This mornings short practice went pretty well, bedded in brakes and warmed up the tires to set pressures. They put all the participants on track at the same time for practice so the traffic was pretty crazy, but the times didn't count so it wasn't important.

In the first timed session however we ran into a little problem. I noticed the oil pressure gauge fluttering much like it was during one lap at Road America. I'm pretty confident that the issue is AVCS related since that is the problem we had then, but I didn't wanna take the risk. So I pulled the car in with only one lap under my belt and called it quits. The car may or may not have been fine to continue, I will only know that when I get her back to the shop so one of my guys can take a look at her. Honestly though I have 3 events next month that I am committed to so I wanted to make sure and preserve the car at all costs.

My first lap was a 1:58.2 which was good enough for 4th place, however not what I had hoped for.

On a personal driving note, I really enjoyed the little I did get to run. I have really been working on video and data from VIR in preparation for this event. As many of you know I am a fairly new driver with an extreme passion to learn and get faster. There were a few key areas of the track that I really needed to work on so I focused on those during practice and my one timed lap. I was able to increase my speeds considerably in all of those areas and felt much more comfortable with the car. The TSM GT-R is a very intimidating car for a somewhat inexperienced driver to handle but i'm really starting to gain confidence in car control and the extreme speeds she is capable of. With a little bit more time today I'm confident I would have shaved a considerable amount of time off that 1:58. I still have a long way to go since I'm trying to live up to Leh's 1:53.5 in the car!... I hate that guy :p

Thanks again for the encouragement! I'll try next time to at least put the GT-R on the podium for you guys.

9. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

challenge accepted :naughty:

congratulations, Cicio, keep us updated on the future events as well

10. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

AVCS problem? I thought it was a loose oil sensor wire. Exactly what type of AVCS problem could there be?

11. We have had a small issue with o-rings blowing out based on too much oil pressure actually. Which is what happened. Again I could have kept going as the car still had decent oil pressure, but it was fluctuating and wasn't worth it to me. We are actually working on a permeant solution right now that will continue to allow us to run more oil pressure and volume while maintaining the other factory oiling components.

Just one of the burdons of going faster than a GT-R has ever gone :)

Thanks guys! I'm at Road Atlanta next weekend with the car, i'm going to try to take the NASA TTU record