Welcome to LeafAtlanta

Discussion in 'LeafAtlanta' started by FTZ, May 30, 2014.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

We need you and Rick to get Leafs and start modding. My car is a lease, so aside from the super awesome static cling tint job I did over the weekend, my modifications are done. I might replace the door speakers, but that is it.

2. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

[​IMG]

Not a real car but looks cool...

3. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

There is a real version- because racecar.
    It looks a HELL of a lot better than what I'm driving. :)

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Why is it so hard to make the car look decent. Imagine how many they would sell if they looked even close to that.

5. FACE

FACE Active Member

I may paint the tail lights like I did the STi...just to try and improve the look. I got a small 8" bass tube yesterday, it is actually enough bottom without having to compete with engine noise :rofl:

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I got to flog Ped's car for a bit this morning. It was...interesting. :p

7. pEd

pssh.... whatever. You'll be leasing one before you know it :rofl:

8. Matt

:rofl:

Not sure I can go full electric... yet.

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

Just make sure you work the turbo charge cable into the deal.

You had a blast and you know it Matt!

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I just joined the electric club.

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Ped and I have tint templates for all the windows. We tinted both our cars over the past two weeks, and both look excellent. If interested, we can help you tint.

What did you get? S, SV, or SL? What is your lease payment, approximately?

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I got an electric lawn mower.

Still working on the Leaf. Have to sell the Mercedes first.

13. shu

shu Member

How does TAVT work with leases?

14. pEd

I would HATE to see you sell your Merc to get into a Leaf. It would suck on the highest order. Though I'm guessing the weekly(?) gas stops aren't real cheap.

Shu, my TAVT was wrapped into the monthly payment. I just went and picked up my tag and it cost me $20 for the actual tag itself.

15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I have the Scion which I drive daily. Gets 32 mpg so my weekly gas tab isn't bad.

Only reason I am thinking of selling the Merc is that I will have a 16 year old male driver in the house next year. He is going to need a car so I don't have to drive him everywhere. The scion has a manual transmission and is a tin can. Not the safest car. The Flex is a barge and he will probably wreck it every time he tries to park it. The Mercedes is just too much car for a 16 year old. The Leaf seems like a good idea . He can't drive it far or fast. He might get beat up at school but that will just toughen him up. With the money saved once the lease is up I would go ahead and get my true mid-life crisis car. The Merc was a temporary fix to driving a loud ass, stinky catless wrx.

btw I cut my yard this morning at 7 am and didn't wake anyone.

16. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Yeah the Scion is terrible as far as crash ratings and safety.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  17. pEd

LOL :rofl:

They top off at 95 mph (which much battery drain), so he certainly won't be getting anywhere fast.

Make sure you get a 240V charger. There is a local place (MetroPlugin) that sells them in Kennesaw. It's an additional $600 charge (not including the wire and electrical hookup) but charges SO much faster.

18. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

There is now one of these shitboxes parked in my driveway

19. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Matt,

May as well change the site to leafatlanta.com "The slowest way to 95 mph"

20. Matt

21. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have no idea why I was looking but found a place that sold the 240v chargers for mid $200 range.

22. pEd

Seriously?? Would you PM me the site. I'd like to check it out.
    I'm fine paying what I did for it, only because I feel like it's worth it, but for future reference it would be nice. I work with several people who are now looking into Leaf's as well and it would be nice to tell them about it.

23. integroid

24. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I'm going to vinyl wrap mine. it's so ugly.

25. Matt

26. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

That would be me. I used my barely touched mod powers to move. Good call opening a sub forum.

27. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You have to remember that we are all leasing, and when the lease ends, will need to return the charger provided. I am 100% certain Nissan will not accept the modified charger, and will charge the full price to replace the charger ($700) when ending the lease.

Other than that, the evse upgrade is a great option for anyone not leasing, or who has already determined that when the lease ends, they will have trouble returning to the pump, and foresee another electric in the future.

I am already picturing my replacement Tesla Model S when my lease ends.

28. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

You gonna pay that ridiculous amount of money for a Tesla? Hopefully the prices fall down by then by a large margin but I doubt it.

29. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

I've always been interested in taking a ride/drive in a tesla... Definitely the coolest mass produced electric cars IMO... Man they have a hefty price tag though.

30. Matt

They're working on a more economical version.

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I'll probably just do this mod myself. it's pretty easy - run the two 120V lugs through and put a varistor on each leg (instead of from phase <-> neutral)

these would be easy to make, but there's some protective functions in the charger and it communicates to the car via some kind of CAN bus in the interface

32. integroid

Couldnt you just make and adaptor type plug so you dont have to modify the factory charger?

33. FACE

FACE Active Member

The stock cable will only Handel 110v with its current wiring. There is a turbo cable that can do 240 &110. And If you go and mod your cable like Jason said, you will just have to pay for it later. The "cost" of the cable is $520. Maybe try and work them down.

34. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

no. internally there's a varistor on the hot -> neutral leg. you need to wire up a 3 conductor cable with ground. current cable is only meant for 110V so it's two conductor + ground

35. jeb

jeb Member

36. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

37. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

38. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

You promoting more craptastic products?

39. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Since i dont think we have been formerly introduced i will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not a "prick" so ill make you a special deal - special $$

Bcause everyone else is getting it for free

40. integroid

No, he is a prick:)

41. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Oh I've met you in person. And I'm very much a prick....damn proud of it too.

42. b reel

b reel Active Member

play nice or I'll post up those "Missing, Special Needs" flyers around Green Sea again

43. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Lol go ahead. Don't live there anymore ;)

44. FACE

FACE Active Member

I really want to get a set of these but the wife does not want me putting anymore $ into the leaf because she doesn't want this car to cost us money. I'm still in the free zone after the window tint and speakers...lol

45. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Can the cable be removed by another person while charging or are they somehow secured?

46. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

There are settings for the charger. You can set to auto mode and once the charger is plugged in, it won't release unless the car is fully charged or a button on the fob is pressed. There is a setting to lock the charger into the front of the car, even after fully charging, or the normal mode that the charger can be removed at any time.

47. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Now that's cool!

48. integroid

So again....I have no idea why but my wife and I are looking at leasing a Leaf....Is the SL worth the price difference from the SV? The only thing I saw that really interested me on the SL was the Quick Charge Port. I really dont know what that is but seems like it might come in handy.

49. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Quick charge is the level 3 charger. Will charge the car from 0 to 80% in about 30 minutes. Only level 3 chargers are at dealerships so it really is of no benefit. As long as you have the 6.6kw (all SL and SV models) you are good.

50. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Eddie,
    Check out the Ford Focus electric. You can get about the same deal as the Leaf . They are slightly more powerful and a lot better looking.