Welcome to LeafAtlanta

Discussion in 'LeafAtlanta' started by FTZ, May 30, 2014.

1. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Coworker has the Ford. He likes it a lot.

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I wanted to look at the Ford Focus EV. when I called the local dealership about it, the guy flat out told me they couldn't come anywhere near the leaf price, unprovoked. I did not mention the Leaf in any way, shape or form.

Test drove the BMW i3 a couple weeks ago. The car has a little more power than the Leaf, but feels normal driving on the highway. Range is about the same, but the interior is truly hideous. Also, the BMW has the system were you don't actually hit the brake, take your foot off the gas and the brakes engage automatically. I really do not like this feature. I could see people getting used to not hitting a brake pedal, switching to a different car, and smashing into the rear of someone because they forgot this car needs the brake pedal. I was very disappointed. I really wanted to like the BMW, with its premium price for the BMW name, but was a huge let down.

3. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these.

Has anyone here done anything to make the painfully boring interior more tolerable?

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Just a FYI - The Ford Focus electric might look better and drive slightly better but it has zero trunk space and the interior feels a lot smaller. My kids could barely fir in the rear seats. Plus they seems to be very proud of the Focus and couldnt even come close to a Leaf lease.

Still looking for a good deal on a Leaf. Seems like lease pricing has gone way up in the last week or two.

5. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

But but but the Leaf has the J Lo feature as standard

6. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Take a look at this thread on slickdeals. leaf deal?

7. integroid

We really wanted a SV or SL for the wings (or whatever it is called) and the navigation. My friend got a SL with premium package 2-3 weeks ago for $299x24months, $0 down, etc. I went to the same dealer and salesman to try and get that deal and he said that was on 2014 models and they dont have anymore. The cheapest I could find a 2015 SV was $350 a month through Azziz. FOund a 2014 SV at Osbourne's (Daniel) dealer in Carrolton and finally negotiated to a price I could live with. Should be picking it up tomorrow. Just hope I can make the 71 mile drive home from the dealership:)

8. pEd

The carwings is pretty cool. Seems like it takes forever to update on the mobile though.

You should be fine driving 71 miles. Just make sure it's charged completely before you leave the dealer and that you drive with the AC off. You may go into turtle mode about the time you're getting home. Let us know how it goes.

Are you getting a Level 2 charger?

9. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Don't use a/c. Don't drive on highway. Good luck. That is a longer drive than I would feel comfortable making.

10. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

^^^^ Exactly why I personally would never buy an electric car...

11. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

And when my ringlands go boom I will regret that statement..

12. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I 100% agree with this.

13. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

When your ringlands go boom you can probably still drive around as long as you keep oil on you for a little while....lol

14. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Don't worry put a bike in the trunk and you will be fine. :eek:hnoes::naughty:

My commute is 30 miles one way and I go to lunch with it 5-6 miles and I do some errands I have ran it to 80 miles per charge and did not wake up the turtle and hardly on Eco/grandpa mode. I have seen VLBL. Several times

Don't use the miles range to estimate use the % battery (remain) when you are below 30% it's quite linear and about 1 mile per %.

Warning comes on @17%. Critical comes on 8%. Have not seen turtle 4% (here say) after turtle will be walk mode within 1 mile after turtle

15. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

For your 71 mile home I have no concerns running AC and non-Eco mode. And drive normal and do a few 0-35 to show off.

In case if you are not. Comfortable at 30 miles to go make sure you have 38% battery left. If less than go to Eco mode the remaining of the way. Leave the AC on.

P.s. Call to make sure dealer charges your car full. And keep it charge during your training. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  16. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Btw I assume you will be charging at home. So make sure that wall 110v receptacle is snuff. I would check to make sure that receptacle is not connected to a high powered item on the same breaker....
    And I would also open that socket to make sure they use the screw on connections instead of the poke and hope....

17. integroid

I made it home but we stopped at Atlantic station to have lunch. They have that Level 3 charger there so it only took about 15-20 minutes to get it back to 80% then I left it on a level 2 charger while we were eating and it was fully charged when I came out:)

I do plan on running a 220V dedicated outlet in the garage. I dont plan on keeping this car but if the range is better on EV cars after the lease is up, I might purchase one.

18. integroid

Ok, so ran the 10-3 cable to the garage from the breaker box. Will have to run the conduit to the garage door tomorrow. The weird locking 30A 220V receptacle will be here on Monday so I will wire that in then. I purchased a used Level 1 charger on ebay for $250.....just need to figure out how to either modify it myself or send it off to have modified.

Tint and horns should be here next week:)

19. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Why? Because the drive home from the dealership might be a stretch on the battery? Aside from the drive home from the dealership, he will probably never drive anything near the range of the car so it should be a non-issue.

This is not a replacement for the traditional car. This is to replace your daily driving that for most people is well within the 80 mile range. It takes getting used to, driving 70 miles on a car that you know can only go 80, but once you are used to it, if you have a long trip, you switch cars.

I agree, if this was your only vehicle, but since all these Leaf deals require no trade in, it is too good of a deal to pass on.

20. integroid

This doesnt make sense to me why more people arent doing it. Especially for the base model @ $209 a month x24 months. I mean you are pretty much getting paid to drive a car by the state of Georgia.

3 other people at my work are trying to get into one now as well after I explained to them about the tax credit including our accountant. It is a no brainer.

21. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Ive done the calculations in many ways and you will not come out cash +ve (if you re expecting that then its going to be a letdown). After 24 months you will still be $ out of your pocket just a whole lot less, because we do need transportation and that cost $.

The best deal will be get an EV and sell your ICE.

22. osborne519

osborne519 Member

hope you are still enjoying it and if anyone else needs help or has questions call me 7702357055

23. FACE

FACE Active Member

:naughty:Be gentle and use b model...no ac and you should be fine . Find a downhill route all the way home or fine a charging station with the wings button

Knowing where your local Nissan dealerships with the Mac 440v slap your Brothers mama charger can come in handy as well.

:naughty:

24. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Drool

Attached Files:

25. FACE

FACE Active Member

Now that's just sick

26. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That's looks mean. How much that kit set back the wallet?

27. pEd

Found this and am glad that I don't have to experiment with it myself.

[youtube]QG1kXfflWnk[/youtube]

28. integroid

so I installed these two horns this weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-F...UTF8&qid=1406507614&sr=8-13&keywords=horn+car
    http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72102-Term-Universal-Bracket/dp/B000FKKOK6/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_y

I dont think you can beat it for $30. They dont look pretty mounted on the factory mounting bolt but they sure are loud. Had an asian lady pull out in front of me and pressed the horm and she slammed on her brakes and put her arms up....Remind me of an old school cadillac horn. I also ran it off of a relay so I wouldnt risk blowing the stock horn circuit. I think everything was under $35 and took me about 30 minutes to install from under the car.

29. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

I have gone into turtle mode but not all the way to walk mode

30. FACE

FACE Active Member

^^^ interesting watch.

If anyone is in the area and in need :)

Attached Files:

31. KGraska

KGraska Member

How do they compare to the Hellas?

32. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Now that you guys have been driving your electric cars for several months, what are your impressions? Did I steer you to a good deal? Are you planning already for your future Tesla Model S/X?

33. integroid

They are much louder than the Hellas. Sounds like a big ole american horn.

34. integroid

We will probably look at a Model 3 when it is available. 200 miles distance @ $30k sounds good to me!

35. techlord

techlord Active Member

So I may be in the market. So whats the latest? Best deals, stealership to use, brand (something better than Leaf), rebates, tax incentives, etc...

Broke the PPG, truck is on its last legs, and I so freaking busy with life I dont see the scoob being addressed until June.

36. integroid

The Leaf @ Town Center is still a good deal. I think Azziz is still offering the same deals on the 24 month lease for the S model.

Do you have a VPP code?

37. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Wow you broke the PPG with less than 400hp/tq?

38. techlord

techlord Active Member

I don't have a VPP code. How do I get one? What price range should I be looking for monthly for that model?

SH28 - I think it just chipped a tooth on 2nd, but wasn't a single act as was the 2 other 5mt's I broke. Drove .5mi across the base to the gym all was good (speed limit 20mph) on the way back second was making a noise. Completely lost on what caused it, but you know me, its a performance car and I certainly drove it as such.

39. integroid

Find someone that works at Nissan:)

VPP $209 a month 24months zero down for S model
    VPP $249 a month 24months zero down for S model with QC Port

Add $50 a month if you dont have VPP

40. orndog

orndog Member

The wife drives 2 miles to work every day, this would be tempting as hell if I knew a Nissan employee.

41. techlord

techlord Active Member

Turns out I do have VPP but my CPA said the tax just ended. I do see where they did pass to remove the tax recently but not when it officially ends. Anyone know the actual end date?

42. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

If you or your wife work for a major company, a lot of times you get VPP and don't know it.

43. techlord

techlord Active Member

piece of cake to get VPP...find a company on the list call # and say you work for that company but onsite at another company and don't have an email addy with your company. BAM had a VPP code right over the phone in less than 5 min.

From what I can tell the law to kill the tax credit passed the house and is expected to pass GA senate and become law July 1st unless Gov signs before then.

ALSO, just spoke with KIA and they expect the Soul EV to be available in 2 weeks. From what I can see this has better range and looks much better IMO.

44. integroid

Range is about the same....they have been saying 2 weeks for months now. When I was looking at my leaf they said two weeks. Glad I didnt wait:)

45. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

ford has a focus electric. MUCH better than the others, IMO...and should qualify for the discounts/pricing.

46. techlord

techlord Active Member

well, I hope not, guy said he has a meeting tomorrow on price and that they are currently having charge ports installed. Either way it looks like about 60-90 days to get some or miss out. I'll wait a few weeks for the Soul because the Leaf is just FUGLY.

47. integroid

I test drove the Focus Electric too and was very disappointed with it. Interior was nice but it had Zero trunk space as that is where the batteries are stored since it is based on a regular Focus. Ford could not even come close to the Leaf lease rates and I even had X-Plan pricing.

48. techlord

techlord Active Member

So what mileage are you guys getting? Reviews I've read say Leaf doesn't perform to expectations where the Soul exceeds mileage expectations. With my track record every single mile counts.

49. integroid

Summer I have gotten really close to 90 miles....Winter not so much. If it is below freezing I am lucky to get 70 miles out of it.

50. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Dude you are a big balla.....Tesla. #enddiscussion.