What would you buy in the $40-$50k price range

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by integroid, Jan 29, 2013.

1. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

For some people gas mileage doesn't play as big of a factor. Hell...I commute 52 miles per week, so 19mpg wouldn't bother me at all

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I wonder why the CTS-V sucks so much fuel? SO I think I have narrowed it down.

1. CTS-V - Found one manual sedan within distance of me. Problem is it is a Carmax car and no CPO warranty
    2. Audi S4 Manual - Found 2 both are CPO but they are in the upper range of what I really want to spend.
    3. VW Golf R - Brand new. Just really wanted a grown up car. This just doesnt seem like a grown up car to me.
    4. Ford Fusion Hybrid - WTF not throw it in there....lol....for some reason I really like the front end on this car.

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

How much warranty does the S4 have left?

I love the CTS V are you looking at the first Gen or second?

The Golf R is a little less grown up but they are fun to drive. There is less room for the kids but how often do you actually use your car to haul the kids anyway? With the relationship you have with the guys at APR I would probably lean this direction. 400hp awd hatch with a nice interior and as good or better build quality than the other cars mentioned. Seems like a winner to me.

Go drive them all and then make the decision.

4. integroid

The warranty on CPO S4 is 6 years or 100K miles from date of original delivery. So the 2012 S4 would probably be under warranty until 2017-2018. The interior and the MMI Navigation on this car is the best out of the group by far.

CTS-V would be 2nd gen and no warranty.

I wish I could find a dealer that had a Golf R but no one around here seems to have one. I am going to keep looking though.

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Is the RS4 out of the question, I haven't looked at pricing.

Would you mod the S4?

Surely they have a Golf R over at APR.

6. integroid

No RS4 for the US Market

Yes, but probably not much. Exhaust, Tune, Pulley will net you high 11's low 12's.

They do have a few down there but none of them are stock and that is a 2 hour drive just to test drive a car:)

7. integroid

Nevermind....Looks like VW's car locator is broken. Every dealer around here has one in stock:)

8. I'd grab up a used Viper. I know they aren't the best handling cars out there but they are still mean. And I don't have any kids either so I'm going off the op.

9. t3chn0rem1x

t3chn0rem1x Member

lotus elise s, hard and soft tops, krypton green

10. pleiades

pleiades Member

2013 Genesis
    429-hp 5.0L V8 engine with rear-wheel drive and 8-speed automatic transmission

11. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

In regards to the CTS-V vs Vette mpg.

1) Aerodynamics
    2) Power....it freaking makes 556 hp and 551 lb·ft of torque if you are looking at the supercharged 2nd gen.
    3) Weight. CTS-V is north of 4000 lbs.

12. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Ahem, gearing and super charger parasitic draw as well.

13. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yup. Though the SC draw kinda equates into the power category ;)

14. integroid

WOw, looks like the CTS-V Sedan might be out of the picture now. The back seats DO NOT fold down. What a bummer.

15. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Seriously?! That is surprising.

16. integroid

Picking this up on Friday and going straight to APR:)

[​IMG]

17. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

My oldest brother is selling his 335 and going hunting for a 2010 S4. Sweet car man.

18. integroid

Yeah, luckily APR still has a good relationship with jack Ingram. Nice to be able to call the owner of the dealership to get pricing. There was a 2012 Manual S4 in Alpharetta but they wanted $8k more than what I got this one for.

19. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Since it says V6T on the side, it's not a 2013? What year is it? And glad you also went S4. :) Show up to a dinner meet so I'm not a loner.

20. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

In all honesty how reliable is this car going to be? I ask because I have always hear that Audi was a worse maintenance car than a BMW???

21. integroid

Nah, it is a CPO 2011 but it has almost every option on it. It has 20k miles on it but the warranty is good until 2017 so I am fine with it. I had APR do a dealer background check on the car and the previous owner paid for oil changes with Synthetic every 3K miles. I was told the Doctor traded it in on a 2013 S6. Plus the price I am getting it for makes it a no brainer. I will try and make it to the next meet!

22. integroid

I know...that is why I an buying a CPO Audi. They have a better warranty than a new Audi:) From what I have read and been told by my buddies at APR, The S4 is actually a really reliable platform. There was a problem with the water pumps but this car has already had the new revised pump installed.

23. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Sweet. Just researching cause I know nothing about Audi but according to APR stage two is a 400 hp machine? Sweet!

24. integroid

Yeah, stage 2 runs high 11's low 12's....Stage 3+ will be out soon and I already told them to hold one for me:) I dont think we can get everything on for Stage 2 Friday but I will go back down in April and get the rest of the stuff. Probably just get chipped and intake this Friday. That should hold me over until April:)

25. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Being addicted to power is an expensive habit. Even more so now that you are in the Audi world.

I promised myself I wouldn't mod my car but I only was clean for 6 months. Fell off the wagon and got a pulley and a tune.

26. integroid

There really isnt much you can do to the S4. Chip, exhaust, Pulley, Intake. The Stage 3+ will be out in a month or so and that is just a new blower and you can use the stock fueling. I am not too worried about modifying it.

27. SethW

SethW New Member

Ariel Atom 2.0L supercharged, a 2013 Yamaha R1, and a mid 90's sedan from Japan or a F150 depending on your needs.

It's amazing what happens when you remove insurance costs.

28. integroid

Looks like my car is going straight to APR for a stage 2+. That is pulley kit, intake, and software. Should be making close to 500whp:)

29. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

dang Eddie!

30. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

??? at the wheels? Or you going for a corn tune?

31. Jake

Jake Active Member

post many pics and dyno results! congrats on moving up to a luxury car ;)

32. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

It is nice to have friends in high places, huh?

Will want to check it out sometime eddie

33. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

That's a lot of power to pick up. I thought they made about 320whp in stock trim.

If there is one thing I've learned its that expensive parts start breaking when you push a motor that far past stock levels.

Tread carefully. No warranty is going to cover a car that modified and Audi parts are expensive.

34. integroid

oops...sorry...420whp 500 crank

35. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Ah I was like am I freaking blind? LOL. 420 whp on a SC'd car would be VERY fun. Maybe one day I'll see it. I've always appreciated Audi's....they just look awesome.

36. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

so wait....CPO car but you're doing Stage2+? That isn't going to be stealth. This is that special deal between the dealer and APR to cover it under warranty? Can I bring my car in for such a nice deal while keeping it under warranty? :p