Whiteline ALK

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by SkullWRX, May 15, 2005.

1. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Ok, I put in the Whiteline Anti-lift Kit at an install day a month or two ago and I've said I'd do a parts review on it:

Install: Difficult if you use the whiteline instructions. In fact, there are no good instructions posted on the net. I had 3 different sets from various sources and still had trouble. All in all it took me about 4-5 hours of work to install. That's partially because my torque wrench broke and I had to get a new one (lost an hour in there) and was helping other people install their stuff. With someone who's already done it, it should take no more than 1.5-2 hours. There is the nuisance of retightening the bolts 50km later, but it's not so bad. The install is a trick but not really difficult.

Performance: IMMEDIATE difference in handling! Turn in is much sharper and I noticed it right away as I was driving through Milo's parking deck. Response feels much more secure, especially on the wagon.

Overall: HIGHLY recommend this part. Yes, it's a pain to install but it's well worth it once it's in!
    more questions, just PM me

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2005
  2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

cool..this is something i might be interested in doing in the future..always good to do something to help handling out..

3. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

If you want to test it out before making a decision, you're more than welcome. Just let me know. That and a rear tower are all that are on my car right now. (Much more coming soon though).

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

need to find out if ALK is legal in Street Mod

5. ptc075

ptc075 Member

I'm pretty sure they're not =(. I believe an ALK moves the lower mouting point of the strut, which I seem to recall is a no-no for pretty much every SCCA class. Maybe in the modified classes, but not in SM. I could be wrong here, I haven't checked a rule book in a while.

Wait a sec, the rule book is online now, hang on a sec, let me check....

Ok, here's what I found:
    Section 16.1.E (SM, Allowed Mods, Suspension) "Suspension Components are unrestricted as long as they use the original attachement points."

Sorry, it's a pdf file & I can't get copy & paste to work, or I'd add the whole section here. Anyway, I'd say that pretty much eliminates an ALK. Then again, I've never seen an ALK, maybe it's not what I think it is. My understanding was it replaces the lower mount with a different one, to give more camber to the front wheels. (Yes/No?)

-Laters!
    -Chris!

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yea i would like to see if there is a difference..i have some steering rack bushings i still need to install also..

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Does the ALK make a big difference with when accellerating/stopping hard? My theory is u'd be quicker if ur front end doesn't come up off the line....

8. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Sorry for not getting back sooner guys... forums down. The ALK is simply a new control arm mount with stiffer bushings, adds +0.5deg positive castor. I don't think it relates to the strut. I do notice quite a difference in acceleration (nose stays down just like the name implies). There's still some lift, but not nearly as much. Sonic, you're theory is right, because it lets you transfer mroe power to the ground on all contact patches. I notice it most on turn in though. class time, i'll add more later today.