Whiteline Flatouts

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by Alex, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

After two complete installs of these springs on my car (entire dissasembly and reassembly) I am pleased. Aesthetically, theese springs are not bling, period. In fact, the paint on mine is chipping already in one spot. I bought these not for the fact that they're not bright green, purple, blue, etc, but for the quality of their engineering. Whiteline has always impressed me and I thought I would give these springs a try. Had I not purchased these, I would have, without a doubt, installed the JDM Pinkies.

For those who do not know, springs are a fun install. Plan for a whole day or a weekend depending on how you enjoy pacing yourself :wiggle:

I wish I had had the camera at the time of the first install. These springs are prob. a good inch, inch and a half lower than the stock STi springs. This is the first "improvement" I noticed. Also the rates are considerablly stiffer. Because of the drop these springs give--something like 1.3" up front, .9" in the rear, it is advisable that you cut your bumpstops, otherwise you will probably generate the same issue I had with my original top hats. It is only fair to say that my driving time on these springs was limited with the stock top hats (~1 day), and that this review is written with the JDM Grp N top hats installed as well (I will write a review on those as well).

When all is said and done, the result is fantastic. There is a noticable increase in response, reduced body roll and an increase in testicular fortitude going into turns. Naturally, I do enjoy the more aggress stance the car now has due to it being lower, that is merely a side affect to the overall greater good these springs provide.I would highly recommend these springs to anyone as they will run similar pricing if not cheaper to most entry level lowering springs.

As for the ride... As most know I own an STi, I had become quite accustomed to the bumps and jitters and play within the stock setup. Highway driving felt almost floaty at times and the car just seemed to bounce more than it should. With these on, the cars floaty feeling is gone and the random bounciness has been replaced with an actual feeling for the road. You will feel what you're driving on. Alex rode in my car after we put them in and immediately commented on their stiffness. Logically, having harder mounts up top attributes to this feeling even more so. These will provide more feedback on the road than stock, be weary of this. If this is not for you, then I would find softer springs.

Another cool feature is that these springs are progressive, meaning that they're doing what they should in the corners, and giving your butt a rest in the straights. This isnt to say that the road response is untolerable (just ask, I'll give you a ride), but it is noticable. It isn the corners that these springs really "turn on" and bring your car into life. As always, I would recommend pairing any set of springs you buy with hardened top mounts simply for the overall strenthenging.

I recommend Whiteline's Flatouts if you're looking for an aggressive stance with great response. The springs are competively priced ($250), and have a zero bling factor :keke: I will see if I can dig up a before picture.

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]