why did i never get an intake?!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by bjtyson3, Nov 2, 2009.

1. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

long story short..my cousin who just got an 05 sti has decided to sale it so he said he'd trade my stock airbox (k&n filter,perring afta-maf piping,gp moto silencer delete..oh and a SS posse sticker on the top ;)) for his red finished APS short ram intake..so i figured what the hell i'd do it..we traded intakes..and my first drive my car is running better and stronger than it ever has..car was around 15 psi at redline and would pick up in every gear at close to 19 psi,compared to almost 13 at redline and 15 after shifts before..in conjunction with my perrin turbo inlet this thing sounds great and i cant beleive the high rpm gains of this intake..most people told me that the short ram wasn't the way to go but this power gain is hard to say no to..if every car runs this much stronger with an intake,i'd definitely reccomend it to anyone

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

wait till the summer, or you're stuck in traffic. you'll be kicking yourself in the nuts when the car is pulling timing

3. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

^lol, mine is short ram and never pulled timing even in the 100+ weather [​IMG]

4. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Sounds like you got way more than just an intake.

5. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

yea i have more mods than the intake but it made a big difference alone on top of everything else

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

because you touch yourself

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Who tuned your car?

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

a Magician!! lol

i assure you it does at some point in hot weather. most people dont pay attention to their cars enough to know what it feels like when it pulls timing. (although i'm sure you would Ming). just run your cobb apv2 with its fancy gauges, it has a knock sensor/timing thingy. you can watch it pull timing in screaming heat. my old wrx does in hot weather.

hopefully a tuner will chime in and confirm this

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I wasn't asking you I was asking blindfold.

10. Big_Red

Big_Red Member

OMG I see this same debate on every WRX forum I have ever been on. If an intake is so bad for a car, why are they so popular? They make power, so whats the big dealz? Its personal preference if you ask me. It might get heat soaked but if you have a TMIC its going to get heat soaked in bumper to bumper traffic and cause just as much shit as an intake will.

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Intakes usually provide higher gains on other cars. Our Subarus do not respond to Intakes very much. ON your average Honda Civic, I believe a good Cold Air Intake is expected to add anywhere from 10-15 hp. For our Subarus with a Cold Air Intake, we are lucky to see up to 5 hp gained.

I have an Injen Cold Air Intake on my car, and did not gain any hp from it, if anything, I think I lost 1-2 hp. I got to hear my BPV, which I wanted, but didn't get any other gains.

It is also very important, when adding an intake to our Subarus to make sure the intake piping diameter is the same as our stock airbox, so as not to mess up the MAF reading.

All in all, it is not going to harm the car, but it won't really help either. The money spent on an intake could be put to other uses that actually result in hp and tq gains.

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The debate is getting one untuned. Untuned you will almost always run leaner. And FYI heat soak on an intake is worse than heat soak on a TMIC for daily driveability. The TMIC can heat soak all it wants and it'll drive fine just not run as well but if the intake heats soaks the IAT sensor will pick up the temps and yank back timing much worse and much more than a heat soaked TMIC will. In turn the car feels like a pure slouch. That's one thing I've ALWAYS hated with my tunes on my old short ram intakes. That 128 degree IAT yank back timing was annoying as can be in the summers here.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Careful saying that. I've seen some dangerous lean conditions from intakes and no tuning.

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

umm is that not what i said?

15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

it is, but I think he explained it further. :)

16. Big_Red

Big_Red Member

The reason i got one is because I put a FMIC on my car. Its not protuned but its a perrin map with the perrin fmic and perrin intake so I think its fine. I agree putting an intake on a completely stock car is stupid but there is a time when the stocker has to go.

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

No clearly you didn't ;)

18. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

If a MBC is so bad for a car why are they so popular?

Because the average person is stupid.

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ding ding ding quote of the day.

20. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

Doug tuned the car. Temperatures go up very quickly while I am sitting in traffic but their also drop quickly once I'm moving. Temps drop even faster with a modified plastic piece that sits above the grill, cut it at the end and will direct more air towards the filter. Usually I'm around +10F above ambient while moving.

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This is NOT a tuner bash guys so shut up if you think this is......

Scott's tunes always heavily depended on the IAT. If the IAT was over 128 degrees my car HATED it. However when I was on Doug's tune it didn't affect it as much. Matter of fact I think on Doug's tune it didn't care until IAT was 140 degrees. Now I did complain about that with him when he tuned my car so maybe he bumped mine up for me. They can tune that in ;) Scott would've done the same but I didn't feel like driving 6 hrs just for that and Doug just happened to be the next one that tuned my car.

22. Big_Red

Big_Red Member

So what does the average person with a FMIC do? You should be able to answer this one since your the above average person....

23. Jake

Jake Active Member

thats not what he's inferring. he means that people with MBC's crank up the boost with no other tuning and blow shit up. and that people with short ram intakes dont get tuned. a FMIC won't necessarily require a tune like those other things do

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Precisely.

25. FACE

FACE Active Member

Summertme= heatsoak

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

A smart one would use a CAI ;)

27. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

well i've never been interested in a short ram or cai on my suby because of all the bad things i've heard..but i got this one because i just ordered a fmic and needed it,got bigger custom exhaust and i am about to get another ss retune..i'm just saying it definitely has made a difference on my car IN THE COLD but i guess i'll see when summer comes around..and my car is used to heat soak..i was tuned in 110 degree weather with the stock airbox lol

28. FACE

FACE Active Member

As long as your getting retuned I'm sure it will make a difference :)

29. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Fuck your intakes, I run without one.

30. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

All I know is I had one for my car before SS tuned it. He told me don't waste my time putting it on as it was a HP loser...

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

shut. up.

32. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

:unamused:

you aren't funny...why are you still here?

33. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Why are we being so harsh?

34. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

says a lot about your screen name

35. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I joke people, I joke take it easy you old farts.

36. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

we know it was a joke. jesus. we just think it's a fucking stupid joke. get it?

37. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

no i dont get it, do u get it?

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

We know it's a joke but in reality someone else may read it and try it. Stupid I know but you'd be surprised.

39. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Very true...Mike Sargent confirmed it while tuning my car.

40. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

:rofl:

41. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

i personally know some people with 17 seconds hondas who've tried that to get an extra .1 at the strip :rofl:

42. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

oh and i was just bragging about the power from the short ram..now its like the car will run great with it and then the next time a punch it,the car doesnt boost right..doesnt make any sense..guess i just need a tune :(

43. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I recently picked up a fender well CAI primarily because it had a good MAF on it. I had it installed to see what all the hubbub was about. Definitely woke up some low rpm power in first and the cool sound was worth a couple of hp. It also caused a lean situation. Make sure you get your tune tweaked ASAP. I was up at TS to pick up a tranny and Doug tweaked the tune for a very reasonable price and also found I was missing target boost and fixed that. Well worth the trip:)

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The Ecu isn't stupid.....it saw lean and yanked back the timing.

45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Most Honda's are not MAF based so it doesn't hurt them.

46. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

i thought it was kinda desperate move anyways :)

47. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

and as soon as my front mount comes in (should be soon) and i get it installed, i will be making the trip to forged to see scott

48. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

i believe i fouled a plug yesterday..i've done it before a while back and it feels the same this time..my scanner says misfire on cylinder 1 and its skipping really bad..where is cylinder one located on an 05 sti? i need a car to drive lol..dont feel like putting insurance and tag on my civic

49. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Cylinder 1 is the front passenger side.

50. Jake

Jake Active Member

car is pulling time/misfiring.

[​IMG]