Wrx on E85...Power AND economy!!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by crashtke, Jun 14, 2008.

1. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

You have to take me for a ride...

2. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

No problem. I have a bit more work to do to the map. The WGDC are decent, but still giving me some issues. This thing just creates so much more boost at 10-15% lower WGDC. It is really weird, but then again, this is the first time I have tried to tune for something other than 93 octane gas. I was a little irritated, lol, I had my WGDC all nice and refined and boosting perfect and now I have to redo the whole map.

Just let me know. I am available most evenings. Of course it is going to be quite a bit different than the 4eat.

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

of course, itll be faster =-)

4. crashtke

I guess it depends on what you have had done to the tranny, lol. I have been in some fast autos.

5. crashtke

Just out of curiosity, scott, Matt, guys that have some E85 experience, did you run a colder plug or recommend one for E85 applications? I am planning on swapping the plugs here shortly and wanted some input on options for E85. I have heard some mention that a colder plug would be beneficial in avoiding misfires and a colder plug can also produce a stronger spark. Any truth or experience with this?

6. crashtke

Well, since I did not hear from anyone on this, I decided to swap out all the plugs and go with stock heat range NGK iridiums. It has not made any difference that I can tell. But then my tune was not at the bleeding edge either.

7. crashtke

Finally got mine to the dyno. It rang in at 10 more hp and 35 more torque than last time on a dyno that read less than the one that it was previously measured on. If I had to guess based on numbers from other cars (stock sti and such) on this dyno vs the original one, it would probably be about 25-30 more hp and 45-50 more torque with no change other than injectors and different fuel.

So just switching to E85 and tuning for it seems to have made quite the difference in power. I am now putting down more torque than a Stage 1 Sti on a stock turbo 2.0 liter WRX.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

E85 = the sickness.

I just wish it was more widely available.

9. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Man I just wanted to reiterate how nice this stuff is. I went off E85 for a couple months due to the fact that the station I was buying it at ran out for a couple months. They just got it back in and the car just feels SO MUCH BETTER than it was on gas. And I only put good quality Shell or Chevron gas in it the whole time. On E85 it is just so much smoother and pulls so much harder. My car is happy now :coold:

10. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

:squint: i want....

11. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Pay me off and start saving for injectors and a fuel pump!

12. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

As an update to this post. Anyone who decides to run E85 REALLY has to watch their gauges. At a minimum I recommend getting a wideband o2 sensor. The reason for this is that from one tank to the next, the percentage of ethanol to gasoline can change quite a bit! I went from my car being perfectly tuned to being 10% lean in one fill up. Why? They switched the ethanol content. There is summer, spring/fall and winter E85 around here. In this recent instance, they went from a winter blend straight to summer. The good part is that the ECU is able to adapt to a certain extent. But you still have to watch and know when to switch tunes!

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

Something else to take into consideration is that ethanol absorbs more water than gas, and in turn will drastically tweak your numbers. Ask any mechanic that is dealing with the new direct injected engines and how many fuel related failures they have seen as a result. I'll try to post charts form area gas stations around Jim Ellis to prove my point.