Yesterdays tour of a B-2

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by ShaneSTI, Apr 22, 2005.

1. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

Yesterday, a crew chief gave myself and a few co-workers a tour of one of the B-2's that are deployed here. One thing that shocked me was the cost of one of these things....2.4 BILLION dollars!:eek: Two B-2's and you got an aircraft carrier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

btw, this was the exact B-2 in the movie Broken Arrow. also, it has been in two real world combats. pretty sick i think.

2. Brian

Brian Active Member

Awesome pics! I was surprised they let you take pictures until I saw the taped off sections. Those and the stealth fighters always look kinda cool/creepy when flying around... (they don't reflect much light and look like a little "black hole" in the sky)

3. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

yeah the only place we couldn't take a pic was under the bomb doors where there opened up. other then that, i even took some pics from inside the cockpit.

4. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I've been to Salina, KS on a business trip (home of the stealth Fighter.) I got to watch one landing, very cool hardware

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

very nice pics bro

6. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Awesome!! :bigthumb:

7. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Sweet pics

8. slug

slug Member

very nice pics, i too am very surprised you were able to take pics

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

nice!! man i love planes..i love America!!! we rock!! my dad was in the USAF for 22 years so i had the opportunity to check out a bunch of cool planes throughout the past decade..nice pics..thanks for sharing

10. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

pfff 2.4 billion, im pretty sure the new F-22 raptor costs about 20 billion. Stealth planes are so freakin cool.

11. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Guam

Hello,

I was in the AF from 1979-1990 and I never had the chance to see one of these even in an air show. How long have you been at Andersen?. My friend was a medic that was stationed there in the mid to late 90's. I worked on F-16C's in Phase Maint. at Andrews AFB in 1994-1995 at the DCANG also. Great Pics!!. I guess that it is the only way to get the pics because I know how tight security is.... I went on base ti Whiteman AFB,MO. That is a cool place. I was stationed in AK,FL,MS, and Germany.

Take Care,

Mark

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Cool pics... really giving me flashbacks!!

Hey Sanremo...I worked on F-16's as well from 1993-1997 over in Aviano, Italy. I was a crew chief for the F-16's that did all the bombings in Bosnia during that timeframe. Took my jet to phase several times, allways found it a little boring. It was a good time to fix a lot of little stuff and clean areas that you don't have time to get to when your on the flight line. I even got a ride in one while on TDY in Zeragosa, Spain. That was the best experience of my life....imagine your favorite roller coaster times about a million... We were up there with 2 Mig29's flown by a german squadron. Dogfighting with the Migs was sweet, after a couple turns you can't tell which way is up.... The pilot even let me fly for about 10 minutes. I got pretty good at barrol rolls but failed when trying a loop 2 times(not enough speed while we were upside down, pilot had to take the stick and flip us back over!!).

Never got close two any B2's, they were still on the down low at that time. But I've been up close to about everything else....

Cool stuff...

13. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

damn I wish I was there. I have been into planes my whole life, been to probably over 50 air shows in Ohio. Blue Angles,Thunderbirds, B2's, F-117, SR-71. Thats some great stuff...I love it...

nice pics

14. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

I've been here for a year now with a remaining year left. The B-2's here rotate every 4 months from Whiteman AFB as their deployments. We did have the B-52's from Barkesdale AFB, LA but the B-2's replaced them here. My last base was Holloman AFB, NM...home of the F-117 Stealth. There okay but the F-22 is gonna phase it out eventually.
    So a few guys here were AF eh? Sweet! I'll post more pics then. Don't wanna take pics of Tankers/Cargo planes. Their boring!lol Although, I got to ride a C-5 for the first time when I was going/coming back on leave from ATL. That was cool, and FREE.:bigthumb:

15. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

C-5 is that the really big one that like can hold 3 or 4 school buses?

16. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

My brother works on one of those be boring planes, C-130.

17. MarkM2016GTI

C-130

It is the most reliable cargo plane in the AF. It can also take off from very short runways.

Mark

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

My dad used to work on the C-130's during the Vietnam War I think. Don't they usually retire most plan designs after a decade.

19. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Ok, got bored and answered my own question, well at least part of it. The C-130 was first used in August 1954.

20. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

yeah the C5 is a monster. it can hold 3 helicopters, a damn tank and some other shit all in one load. its plain sick how it gets off the ground with all that weight.

21. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

more pics of B-2 in Guam

sitting at parking spot:[​IMG]

B-2 on departure:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

buddy of mine got to go on a refueling mission in a KC-135 and took this picture...how pimp is that.[​IMG]

22. MarkM2016GTI

Nice Pics!!.

Were these taken @ Whiteman AFB?. How long have you been in?.

Mark

23. MarkM2016GTI

Re: more pics of B-2 in Guam

My Bad... they were taken in Guam..right??.

Mark

24. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

man that plane is hot!!

25. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

that shit is toooooo hot :D

26. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

Re: Nice Pics!!.

Mark...been in for a little over 5 yrs now. Actually these are Whiteman birds, but there deployed here and rotate out every 4 months I believe.

Saw the funniest thing on the Guam news the other day. People have been calling into the Guam PD and stating that they have just seen a damn UFO flying around the island.bwhahaha Of course it turned out it to be our B-2's on a local sortie. Just found it funny and wanted to share that one.:bowdown:

27. MarkM2016GTI

UFO's??.

That was freakin hilarious....Just like Area 51 sightings....Man, I remember seeing the coolest stuff when I was stationed at Eglin AFB,FL from 1988-1990, as you know they test some really cool stuff there. I remember when I saw an F-15 Strike Eagle for the first time in 1990 and it was shooting munitions into the sand. Man, that rocked..... I never had a chance to get a tour of the Climactic Lab. Did you ever know a Tsgt. Ken Blevins?. He is a good friend who is retired AF now, and he was at Anderson in the late 90's.

Later,

Mark:bigthumb:

28. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

Re: UFO's??.

Sorry dude. Don't know him. Just got here last year...one more year left. Yeah Eglin is a badass base. I would love to be in FL.

29. MarkM2016GTI

Oh, I thought that you were at Guam 5 years...my bad.

Mark