yet again, another HID thread..

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by mokinbird87, Mar 6, 2007.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

i just dont see myself buying new projectors, so i am still in search for a kit. i know most of you will chime in and say dont do it, but i just simply need something better than the sylvannia.

so, i found an another kit that seems a lot more reasonable than ones sold on ebay. check these out.

http://www.xenondepot.com/category.php?category_id=14

http://www.xenondepot.com/category.php?category_id=2

i am personally going to get a set of the 4300K for maximum output of light. i think xenonpros got some, it' just that i find the prices on xenondepot a lot more appealing.

hehe, but this is just a wishful thing after i get my helix DP!

2. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Not to thread jack, related to HIDs, on the 06s, do we need conversion kits or will just buying and replacing the bulb do? I'm guessing a full kit is needed still eh?

Also, mokingbird, if you want some JDM bling like Alex, check this page out for your bugeye.
    http://jdmpartstx.com/hid_install/

it's a DIY JDM HID install guide.

3. mokinbird87

nice find russell, now find me the JDM housing for lhd pattern for around $200 and i will 'consider' buying one hahahaha...

4. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

u guys need Hid kits......holla @ me.........wrxatlanta peeps price $145 takes me about 3 days to get em..........

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

There's a reason for that.

Please read this:
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Before you go buy something 'better'.

Pay close attention to the last part:

6. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

for lhd its the EDM housing not jdm

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

All you need is a d2s bulb and a ballast and you should be good to go. Get in touch with me, Ill be working with all projectors within a month or so. Ive got a trick that will give you some bling lightout and a crisp cutoff.

I think you are goign to have worse light output than before if you install a HID kit. It will look bright in the housing but the amount of light thrown out in front of the car may end up being less. Its not worth it IMO. If you want to do it right, buy the EDM housings or wait around and soon Ill be starting my retrofits.

alex

9. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

However, HID install IS possible and legal if I put an STi HID in WRX? What's the big difference in shape and install fitment between any similar year wrx and sti headlamps?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  10. mokinbird87

11. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

If you're after looks, then maybe. If you're having a hard time seeing at night then no. Those will really suck balls in the rain. The cold light coming off those won't reflect as well as warm light. A true HID is what you need or stick to your yellowish halogens. Notice how a lot of HID cars have yellow fogs lights to help balance the cold light? A good choice is a little bigger halogen bulb in your fogs and be sure everything is aimed correctly. Stay way from those cold color imitation HID bulbs...

12. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

13. mokinbird87

14. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Nitro, do you have time some weeknight this week to give me a ride in your car and show me what your HIDs look like? Thursday night works good.

15. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Then maybe you can address all the issues raised in that link I posted above.

edit: before I get a friendly PM from a mod, I am putting this out here because I would like people to have the best information possible when making a decision like this.

16. mokinbird87

yea you're right. after i get the HID kit for $145, i`m planning on doing a yellow film over my fog lights, cuz it`ll help with the visibility + i love the look (bluish white and yellow under is HOTT), and because i did it for functionality, i am not a ricer yay! ;)

17. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

sure not a problem.....just call me:wiggle:

18. mokinbird87

i`ll be with russell if you`re generous to do that for us!

19. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Moose, may Nitro is so blind he can't really see anything beyond 100' and maybe the HIDs do enough lighting up to that point and then drop off sharply. As far as how the beam is actually pointed is kind of hard to tell from the driver's perspective unless it's utterly crap and is pointing to Mars.

20. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I'm sure this has already been said, but what housings are you guys putting these into? A glass projector has a focused beam pattern and HID work. bugeye housings are plastic and don't have a fluted lens. I've never looked at other years, but if they're designed to be used with halogen bulbs they're also designed to emit as much light as possible (rather than focused light like a housing designed for HID bulbs). HID bulbs in bugeyes would fragment and give out ridiculous glare. I had HID in plastic housings once and took them out because oncoming traffic was swerving all over the road.

21. mokinbird87

i`m pretty sure that`s true, and i want to convince myself too. but i`m just gonna have to see it for myself cuz i am sooo hooked on the idea that i`ll be able to see better. i dont care much about blinding other ppl unless it is REALLY bad. heck, those SUV's with regular halogens are placed so high up and blind me, so i`m assuming just getting brighter lights on my car will not be that bad cuz my headlights are aimed downward a lot more than other cars. (my dad's GS300 `s headlight is halogens, but they are sooo damn bright and at the same time placed a lot higher than mine, but he still doesnt have much problems). but yea, i`m not trying to ignore your helpful opinions, i know it wont be like HIDs from BMW or Lexus with proper projectors, but i just want better lights. if the glaring/blinding issue is really bad on nitro's car (even though his car might be different than mine), then i`ll reconsider. but for now...

22. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

sorry bro.........i didn't even read through that link ....no disrepect but as i mentioned before *to each his own* if i was to base my judgements & decisions by everything i read on these forums.......i'd either be up shit's creak without a paddle or putting out a hella of alot more cheese than necessary........i'm just offering a deal for fam & members.....like i said i've been real confident with these kits.......whick BTW....i usually sell to strangers for $200-$275..........it's either u buy it or not,as with anything there is a risk...i have seen ballast go bad....shit happens.....so far i guess i've been lucky....i just know that it will look & perform better than those crappy coated bulbs <which always look real good in the little case untill u install them> always note the pics they show when they are selling those...........haha......real HID kits.....just to sucker u in.

23. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

you are fine... thanks for providing information

24. Alex

I responded to your PM, in less than 2 months I will have the solution for your lighting issues ;) This pic is courtesty of Caesar (my lampworking buddy) on IWSTi. As I said its not going to be cheap, if you want to try out Nitro's HID kit, why dont you just do it. If you are dissatisifed, sell it off on ebay. I am not knocking his product at all, I am simply a firm believer that if you want to do something right, you do it the first time and odds are its more costly. At the end, I feel you will be satisified :)

If you want to do the project yourself you will need to source the following...
    • 2x D2S bulbs
    • 2x Matsushita gen2 ballasts
    • 2x bi-xenon (both low & high beam) projectors of your choice
    • 2x projector shrouds / bezels
    • Lots of free time

When all is said and done you will end up with a set of lamps which arguably look better (and are quite unique) than the EDM's and are a few hundreded cheaper than the EDM HID's.

[​IMG])

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007
  25. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

do you have any plans to do retrofits on the JDM non-HID lights? I would like to go HID, but I don't want to blind on comming traffic.

thanks

26. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

when alex is done there will be no blinding of oncoming traffic with his lamps

27. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

So that was the bug eye, how much less do you think it will be for the 06+ which have projectors already in the headlights?

28. i should be getting some 10K HIDs anyday now. :D thanks to Nitro! Holla at me as soon as they arrive man. :)

ps: Alex thats one badass headlight!

29. Alex

As I said before, theres virtually no difference. The 06/07 STis have the same housing but they are coming with a gen3 matsushita ballast and a d2r bulb. You get those, you give me, we get you HIDs :) With you slant-nose owners there is also an additional option to improve your light output and coloring via a lens swap.

There are a few errors in this thread that Id like to point out when I get home later tonight.

ak

30. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

My head is swimming.

All I can think is, "more to learn. :squint:"

Alex, that picture you posted doesn't look like my really homely with personality bugeye. Am I gonna lose my unique "why doesn't someone hire a designer" big fat nose with big eyes '02 look?

The WRC Subie's haven't looked the same since about '03.

31. Alex

There's always the option of leaving it all chrome. With lights, whats fun is that there are really no limits to what you can do (assuming bounded rationality).

32. Alex

We're all ricers :)

I am sure they work as they should...if you're intending to sell through the site you need to consider vendorship btw :)

If you ask me, when I am going 80mph, I would want to see more than 100 feet ahead of me. You'd be amazed how much those signs like stop, sharp turn, etc are useful at night. Here's some food for thought. 1 mph is 1.5 ft per second, thus 80 mph is 117.3 ft per second. If you want to see how your lamps are aligned, park your car 25ft way from a wall and you'll see :)

Im fairly certain all the Subaru lamps 02+ are lexan. With proper modifications, you should have no issues projecting light forward, correctly. I highly doubt the covers on the USDM headlamps are any different than the EDM or JDM, both which come with OE HIDs.

That's the goal, proper alignment is key.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  33. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Look for a guy on ebay that sells Smart4Cars kits. $138 shipped to your door in 3-4 days. I have it and it ROCKS! No glare, no blinding and the cutoff is wider and longer than stock. I have a hard time seeing when I drove other peoples cars.

34. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I'm not trying to na say the idea. I'm thinking about it too.

My guess is the difference between HID and halogen OE housings would come in the reflector then. Just a guess... All the different planes inside the reflector toss light in various directions. In the case of a halogen lamp, the reflector would attempt to make a certain amount of glare to spot signs and stuff off the road. HID reflectors keep glare at a minimum and focus light on the street. Often, a glass lens is used to magnify and direct the light, but it seems not in Subaru's case.

Another option is to use a cold temp. bulb. Like a 10K or something. Those seem a lot less intense. Or maybe a smaller watt HID bulb... I'd like to have a 8K kit myself. I'm interested in seeing how these turn out.

If you're running a projector style (06-07), as far as I know you're pretty much good to go. Those have a very precise beam and typically throw very little/no glare.

35. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Alex, when you have some pictures of those bugeye hid lights installed, make sure to let me know.

36. Alex

That was my point, the 04-05 housings are designed as HID reflectors. Bugeyes are at a loss.

37. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Really?!?! hmmm... I know nothing about blob eyes unfortunately. so a 04/05 Subaru WRX with halogens has the same housing as an 04/05 STi with HIDs? I'd be interested to know if the part #'s are the same. That's crazy if so! If they just stuck halogen bulbs in HID housings I'd bet it sucks. In that case, you could swap in a HID kit and be done.

38. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Pretty sure there's a good bit more to it than that... remember, the reflector has to be designed to either support a filament type bulb or an arc (HID) one. I can't imagine the same reflector supporting both from a pure design standpoint.

39. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

the reflectors in an 04/05 wrx are different than in an 04/05 sti, i know this for a fact. When i had my 02 i was thinking about doing a sti reflector retro-fit in a bugeye housing but its probably as expensive as alex' projector retro-fit.

40. Greg

Greg Active Member

Alex- Let me know when you get this up and running :)
    I'm a ricer and want it more of a blue color and a sharper cutoff line.
    I would also like to angle my headlights up more, so when I'm going over hills, I can see. It'll also give me more of a range with the adjusting wheel.

41. do it manualy with a phillips head screwdriver. 25ft away from a wall. make the "0" setting where the "1" setting used to be. So the "3" setting is now higher than stock. correct me if im wrong.

42. mokinbird87

man, i took a look at nitro's HID's, and there is NOTHING wrong with it. they are PERFECT. really wide, low beam, and no glare or pissed off faces on the other side of the road. i was originally gonna go with 4300K, but since the lighting might be more intense on my housing (03 bugeye), i decided i want to run 6000K... (nitro had 10000K on his, and it looked sooooo nice.. not as blue as i thought which is better for visibility). but yea, his kit is some quality stuff. maybe russell can chime in on this since he was there with me today. btw, i had a lot of fun in russell`s car... pulls soo DAMN nice. i`m jealous of the new wrx's...no replacement for displacement...

43. mokinbird87

ahahahahahahahahahahah we saw a mita with 20" rims ahahahaahhahahahahahahahhahaahahhahaha

44. Alex

Id be interested to see if you can actually obtain the part numbers considerng none of the pieces are sold invididually. Next time I open another set of lamps from both STi and WRX i will compare the two to see. This was my initial impression, and based upon what Ive seen it seems to hold relatively correct.

I couldnt agree more, visibly the reflector housings are damn near identical. Like I said, when I crack th next set open I will have comparison information on hand.

I dont really see why now, with the availbility of projectors, you'd want to go with that route anymore (obviously you're not, but this is for anyone else reading this). Once again, Ill be sure to let everyone know.

Conisdering you're prob blinding the shit out of people, we can make something work. For you 06 owners, there's a nice trick that's not terribly expensive that will give you improved clairty, colors and cutoff.

45. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

now that was funny as hell.....................then he comes back right back into the QT where we're at.......haha........nice meeting u bro.:wavey: had fun chillin with u & Russel....BTW stripper in Chick fila
    Yesssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!:eek3:

46. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Mhhhmmm ;)

47. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

man that Chik Fil'A stripper was hot..... >.<

Yea those HIDs looked good, the Valor 2DIN head unit with the pricing looked even more delicious. What's the model on the thing Nitro? Let me know so I can look at the tech specs.

Thanks.

48. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

like i said in my post, i know for a fact they are different, i have seen them together.

49. mokinbird87

damn you guys, what`s this chick fil-A striper talk? i wish i joined you guys for dinner A LOT more now instead of being at my bro's game hahahaha

50. Please elaborate in full with all speculitive prices. I'm very interested.

For you 06 owners, there's a nice trick that's not terribly expensive that will give you improved clairty, colors and cutoff.[/QUOTE]