Yet another install day... (5/6)

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Kokopelli, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Well it looks like I will be swapping out my short block and my 5 spd the weekend of May 6th. To get all this done in one weekend I will certainly need some help. I will grill out and provide drinks for all those that come out. Adult beverages will be available once the days work is done. Last time I had 3 beers and failed to pay attention when I was torquing the head. I managed to catch it after realizing that I set the wrench to Ft Lbs not NM's.

The only tool I need is a transmission jack. If anyone has one I could borrow that would be great. Otherwise I'll have to buy or rent one from somewhere.

thanks
    Mike K

I need to get all this done and the motor broken in by 5/27 so I can make the import showdown.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

If it isnt done by the 7th, I can probably help you out, but I am moving on the 6th so I will be just as busy.

PS - I dont really know anything about pulling an engine but it would sure be interesting to see

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I think Genya might have a tranny jack. You could always just mandhandle it with a couple of people and lower it down on jacks from the car.

4. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

If you end up not doing it yourself + friends you could always give my good pal Thomas at Autofab motorsports to do it! Tell him Matt Przybyslawski sent you. </free advertising>

5. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

i'll would not mine coming to help, shoot me a pm with your address and i'll swing by.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  6. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

That sounds like fun. I'd like to be there for the new motor install. If I'm able to be in the neighborhood count me in. :bigthumb:

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

my parents fly in on the 4th of may... between that and leaving for texas on the 8th or 9th, i doubt i'll have time :(

i'd really like to make this because i would like to experience a subaru block being pulled... :(

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

The only way that mods are affordable is if you do them yourself.

Don't you have a 6 spd in your car?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  9. catch31

catch31 Member

Where at in Roswell?

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Well if you do ever get to see one pulled then it won't be mine. This is the last time I am doing it. Thats why I went ahead and got a built block and a 6 spd.

If it breaks again I'm going to push it off a cliff. I'll have a big g2g for that event. Hopefully you won't be busy. :p

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

hope it wont come to that

12. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

No, just a non-RA STI 5speed.

My comment was from my experience of pulling the transmission out of my old Fury III project. We didnt have a tranny jack but had two full size jacks. We put the front of the tranny on one jack and the tail end on the other jack and then had 2 people on either side keeping it stable as 2 other people slowly lowered the jacks down. Got it on the ground and threw it on a piece of plywood so we could slide it around in the garage.

If you're doing engine and tranny why dont you just attach them both before putting them in the car and then lower the combo into the frame with a cherry picker?

13. Suprman

Suprman Member

if you can't find a tranny jack, let me know and i'll buy one from my work (summit racing) and let ya use it, gotta get one to replace my tranny in my mustang anyway

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Do you get a decent discount? I'll pay you for one if you do because I'll need it again to swap the tranny in the SVX.

thanks
    Mike K

15. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

I'll be up for helping. I too would like to see a subaru engine getting pulled hehe

16. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I really miss working on my old 440 c.i. engine on my 68 Charger that I used to have......those were the good old days...Dodge's were really known for electrical issues...

Mark

17. Suprman

Suprman Member

i get it at cost, i'll have to check on how much it is with my discount.

problem is i only get a certain amount of discount purchas a year, and they'll be wondering if i buy two trans jacks as well.

18. Mike, how late are you going to work on your car? I can possibly come by around midnite and help out if you are gonna be working on it that late. ;)

Also, let me know if you still need the transmission jack... I bought one when I was doing the 5spd swap on my prelude but it's at my buddy's house. I can go pick it up if you need it but I ended up using a jack haha I didn't get how the transmission would sit on the transmission jack... maybe it was just my prelude tranny haha

Let me know ;)

Michael

edit:
    mine looks like this
    [​IMG]

19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I could still use the transmission jack. I'd be willing to buy it off you if you no longer need it.

btw: I plan on being fast asleep by midnight.

20. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

HOLY SHIT! I am in Hedgegrove IV man! you are litterally a stone's throw!
    how cool is that.
    I'll be down man just pm me with which entrance is best and what your address is, and which street, I find it :)
    and what time?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  21. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

ill see if i can talk jason into comming over again. if not i would be willing to help. this is next weekend right?

22. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

It's not this weekend. It's the following weekend.

23. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

thats what i ment. i forgot its only tues of this week.lol

24. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I actually might be able to make it out to this!

25. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Well I'm bored and I have a lot to do with my car so I am going to start working on the car today. If anyone wants to come by feel free. I'll still be working on it next weekend as my shortblock will not be in until Friday (hopefully).

I am going to try to pull the motor and the rear diff. I could certainly use a hand.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  26. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

hey man pm me let me know when sunday you are working on it
    you guys can come by and look at my project car and how um much "potential" it has

27. thejackal

thejackal Member

sandy plains and 92... wow I live about a mile away -- anyway I'd like to stop by and meet everyone and take a look at the project.. Lemme know when your gunna be workin and I'll stop by..

Matt

28. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Yeah, PM me the days and times you're working on it and your address and I'll definitely come by to lend a hand

29. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i wish i could make it but i'm too bz doing other intersting things overall may and april r the most bz months in my life 89% of my family and gf's family's birthdays r in april and may so will be bz

30. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I managed to get the rear diff swapped out and the tranny removed by myself but there is no way in hell I'll be able to get the six speed in alone. My crappy ass floor jack doesn't have enough lift to get the car high enough for the six speed to fit under. With the 5 spd I just lowered it by hand on to a piece of carpet and slid it out. The 6 speed will need to be rolled under on a transmission jack so I need about 6 more inches of lift.

Does anyone have a real floor jack that I can use?

Mine is like this:
    [​IMG]

I need something like this:
    [​IMG]

31. LiquidForce... Call me on my cell.

I'm heading to my parents house (right next to your house lol) today around 5pm and I have one there.

32. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I am going to use my cherry picker to get the car high enough up to get the tranny under the crossmember. It can lift 4 tons so I think it should be ok.

I also went ahead and bought a transmission jack since I will be using it again.

33. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

Hey man if you need tools let me know

34. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Well I got bored again so I went ahead and installed the transmission.

All that leaves on the WRX is to swap out the short block. I also need to install the tranny on the SVX so I still need plenty of help. If you want to help or need help installing something on your car swing on by Saturday.

35. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Well it looks like my block isn't going to make it here in time. I still have quite a bit of work to do though. I am going to dissassemble the other block and go ahead and throw some new stock pistons in it. This motor may one day make it in to the SVX. I am also going to be putting the 5mt from my WRX into the SVX. This would be alot easier with some help.

Anyone that wants to stop by is welcome to. If you have something that you want to install I have all kinds of tools and can help out.

I plan on starting up around 10:00 and firing up the grill around 1:00.

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  36. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

If I am not too busy tomorrow I will stop by and lend whatever hand I can, and I won't even need to wash my car this time.

37. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

You can wash your car if you want. The car wash will be open. ;)

38. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I got a short shifter that is being a bitch
    I need to grind down the bottom end of the thing. got a bench grinder?
    gotta get some stock lower bushings

and yes I know it's 5 am and yes I will be up at a normal time

39. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I don't have a bench grinder but I do have a die grinder. It should work.

40. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

I live close by, have tools, and can help Sunday if it is needed.

41. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I'll be coming by soon. I tried to install a midpipe 3rd cat delete pipe and it's leaking, I have all the tools just want some other peoples opinions, I'm going to go pick up 2 gaskets from SOG.

Call me if theres a change in everything thats going on, i.e. we aren't doing this anymore.

Craig

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  42. Scooby

Scooby New Member

I just moved to Woodstock. Someone give me some directions from Sandy Plains and 92. I think I can find that.

43. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Sorry we missed you. But don't worry. Hopefully I'll get the motor this week and I'll be dropping it in next weekend. There's always an open invite at my garage.

Mike K

44. Scooby

Scooby New Member

Holla at me if you are going to do anything tomorrow. I got nothing else to do. 985-290-2781

45. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I had fun
    got to see mike and a few familiar faces and enjoy his wife's awesome cooking :D
    then attempted to watch M:I:3, but ended up watching Lucky Number SLeven instead and coughed a bunch lol....

46. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i rec'mend MI 3 good movie..

47. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

MI 3 was horrible. The worst out of the serious so far. Maybe I just couldn't enjoy it knowing how much of a wacko Tom Cruise is. I was just waiting for him to lock himself in a closet the entire movie.

48. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

nah it was pretty bad

49. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I finally got the short block. Looks like I'll be wrenching on the car again this weekend. If anyone wants to hangout just stop on by. I'll probably start around 11:00 or so on Saturday. I need to pick up some gaskets from SOG before I start.

50. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

ring me, Maybe I'll ride with (678)462-0472
    after I picked up my steering rack and the tie rod ends today I came through your neighborhood for the scenic route and was wondering if you were going to have more install fun.
    I gotta get up early, return a few parts to napa, and get some house work and detailing a certain mom's car (which was sposed to be done last sunday, eps)
    but I'll def come by.