Your thoughts on cheap-er-ish Stainless Mufflers

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by motomark, Aug 16, 2010.

1. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

Thinking of ditching my stock Legacy mufflers because... well... all the other stock exhaust is long gone and frankly the stock Legacy cans do not really do my car justice in the sound department. Technically the stock cans are not really a restriction, they just sound like crap. I heard the Bosal/SPT on Mike's wife's car and can't quit thinking about how that stock LGT sounded WAY better than my my 300+WHP LGT (final # TBD as I am still working on a fueling issue).

So anybody got recommendations on good quality SS mufflers with a nice tone to them that will not cost an arm and a leg? Needs to be good construction- drone on the highway is not acceptable.

To be welded by Andy @ Killshot...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

Ken has his old SPT exhaust for sale, would that work?

4. motomark

I guess I was thinking :
    Borla
    Dynomax
    Flowmaster

No idea of which product line or model- just generalizations of quality build and sound.

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You get what you pay for. Cheap = likely to drone bad.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You'll want to get the Prodive mufflers. And that's really all there is to it :)

7. integroid

Too bad ther are really no bolt on exhaust systems left for the wagons. The one above and then maybe one or two that will bolt on and clear the rear bumpers. Or just buy some aftermarket mufflers and have Andy build you a custom 3" single exit exhaust. The Y in our system is the bottleneck

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I wonder, would the GR STI mufflers bolt up to the legacy setup? If yes, then that's a pretty cheap approach as well, even if you need to pay a few bucks to have the front of the axel back modified slightly. I know they're loosely based on the Legacy platform.

9. motomark

I already have a Cobb DP and XO racing mid-pipe and crossover pipe.

STI Genome sound good in clips I've heard, but freaking USED ones go for $600+ and the wagon bumper means none of the JDM ones look great (tips are too short).

10. integroid

Nah, not even close....The Legacy exhaust actually has a y in it right after the rear diff.

[​IMG]

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

Be surprised what a custom will run, cheaper than you think

12. integroid

Cheaper than $350 with the parts and labor?

13. motomark

Eddie- Based on other comments in this thread and general common sense... a $350 setup that includes TWO mufflers (even if they were welded by a blind child in a third world country) probably utilizes mufflers that are something less than ideal since 2 Borlas alone would cost that.

14. integroid

Yeah, if I ever do a custom setup it will be a single exit with a fake on the other side.

I am seriously thinking about the obx system. It is the only system I have seen that is a full 3" even after the "Y" pipe.

15. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I really like the sound of the magnaflow mufflers. Not sure how the drone would be on the highway though. That is what I am going with on my personal car. Either 3.5" or 4" single muffler (turbo back will be a minimum of 3.5" due to the turbo).

But you can get those for around $100/piece depending on the size and get them welded in place if you already have the Y pipe. What size pipe will they be fitted to?

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

^^

17. motomark

Once Brian's bugeye is actually running; it's exhaust will be made of 100% virgin unobtainium welded in a secret Mossad bunker deep in the heart of Israel then sent to Calico to be triple coated internally and externally with a rare isotope of narwhal spooge.

18. b reel

b reel Active Member

Just the header, up-pipe and down pipe. The rest is old vent pipe left over from the new gas water heater.