Your UP/DP install tricks

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by moose, May 11, 2005.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Just wanted to tap the collective experience and wisdom here...

Since a bunch of you have done UP/DP installs, maybe we can get a thread going on any tricks & tips related to them. It should be helpful for new members, and something we can point people to as well.

Plus, as an added bonus it'll help me prep for what's coming up. :D

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

i am working on putting this thread together for the GO section..stay tuned

3. married05gt

married05gt starting over

Always and I repeat always spend the money and get good gaskets

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I bought Subaru OEM gaskets, and planning to use some high temp sealant/gasket maker on both sides of every gasket. Sound ok?

5. married05gt

Smart man:bigthumb:

6. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

the gasket maker is overkill. Hell, I reused my old gaskets with 40k on them

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

At $18 for a set of new gaskets, I consider it cheap insurance.

Gasket maker's cheap too.. it won't hurt and it might help some, and considering what a pain an UP install is, why not? :)

8. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Good point. With the difficulty the uppipe install is, you might as well replace the gasket at teh same point. It would really suck to finish install, go for a test drive and find out there is a leak and you need to uninstall everything so you can put the gasket in.

9. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

gaskets are invaluable. im about to do it all. Up Down Cat back all with oem gaskets and liquid gasket as well. im so friggin nervous about the perrin dp leaking!

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Hell, at least the DP is (relatively) easy to yank if it leaks... be nervous about the UP! (I am...)

11. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

careful with the mentallity that gasket maker with gaskets are a good idea. Some gaskets are made to seal to the metal and if you use any type of conditioner it will not seal as designed and cause leaks, or so I learned while working in a race shop in NYC

12. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

ONLY!! use the factory Gaskets, they are designed with a crush ring. There is no need to use any gasket sealer with them, I have in the past been able to get away with reusing the downpipe gasket and having it still seal. But you should never reuse any of the gaskets on the uppipe. As a suggestion I would change your uppipe at the same time you do the downpipe. If you do not you will need to remove your downpipe later on to do the up pipe install hence twice the work over again. Also let the EGT sensor soak for a while in some kinda solvent like WD-40 or PB Blaster as its a pain to get off.

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Lemon Juice also works well if you don't have WD-40 or PB Blaster.

14. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Thanks, Doug! I will be doing UP and DP at the same time, with all new gaskets throughout. Guess I'll skip the sealant if it's really not necessary.

Will also be using PB Blaster. Lots of it.

Got the Perrin UP in the mail.. man, what a nice quality piece. Gorgeous welds.

15. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Is this even possible? Read an UP install story earlier, and the guy claimed to have gotten the stock pipe out without jacking the engine up or moving the turbo. Said he managed to flip it upside down and then pull it out from below...

16. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Pulling it out from below I would think is very possibly, flipping it upside down and then pulling it out, I don't think so.

17. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

you can remove the up without jacking the engine up..it does take some time to get the uppie in the right position but you can do it..thats how we got johns(married04wrx) out

18. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Its easiest to remove the downpipe then unbolt the uppipe. Flip it around and remove through the back where the downpipe used to be.

19. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Appreciate everybody's input. Would be nice to get it out without screwing around with jacking up the engine, so I figure that's worth trying first!

20. married05gt

thats how I did it