Z-max!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AdvanceREX, Apr 21, 2005.

1. AdvanceREX

AdvanceREX Member

i dont know if any of you have heard or tried a car additive system called Z-max before... it does a wonderful job of getting rid of engine clatter, barely any metal-on-metal sounds in the prelude after i used it... but the stuff is complete and uder crap!... i used it before in my prelude, and it caused it to start leaking around the crankshaft seal area... but i didn't think anything about it b/c the car had a list of problems at the time, so i couldn't really say that it was that that did it, (the crankshaft actually almost came out of the car while i was driving one day, to the mechanics of all places...:p), so the half a quart a weak wasnt that big a deal... BUT, i decided to use it on my subbie and guess what... now its leaking where the transmission and engine come together at (which i figure is prolly the crankshaft seal, i'm new to the subbie thing here but to my understanding, it would be located where i am looking at)... so now i'm looking at prolly having to get the seal pulled and getting it replaced... or seeing if it is that at least...

have any of guys ever had to do anyhting like this to your cars... i might try to tackle it myself if i could get a repair manual anywhere and of any type... we dont sell them at work(advance auto)... know where i could get one at anyone? or maybe anyone know any experts that are cheap at working on them if nothing else?

oh... and never use ZMAX!!!... its as bad for your car as much as micheal jackson is for a daycare center...:mad:

2. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

man thats about as cool as herpes. i would pm weapon wrx, that dude knows more about the inside of that car than any person should. good luck with that.

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

sorry to hear about ur troubles... i dunno much about problems of that sort but hopefully someone on here might...

4. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

i have a manual on cd, if you want i can burn you a copy, its to big to email, just pm me. that goes for anyone else too

5. AdvanceREX

AdvanceREX Member

yeah, well mainly i just wanted to warn everyone about this stuff, dont try it on your car unless you were already planning on taking out the seal and popping a new one in... and any help or info or references to a subbie mechanic would be great if you guys have some ideas on who, where, etc...

6. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

no prob:bigthumb:

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

wow thanks for the heads up..thats sucks..i have never been a big additive guy..it kind of reminds me the whole snake oil thing...you might want to take it to a subaru dealership and have them look at it..that is part of the powertrain and should be covered under warranty as long as your under 60K..of course i wouldnt mention the zmax part to them..i found this info about a pending lawsuit against z max
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm
    and also some good info here from Amsoil
    http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/just_say_no_to_aftermarket_addit.htm

8. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

If you need service manuals let me know, I've got a full set for 02s.

9. AdvanceREX

AdvanceREX Member

maybe it is covered under the warranty, god i hope so... guess i'll call em tomorrow... and guess i will also be changing my oil as well so i can get the junk outa my engine and get some fresh redline back in there.... thanx for the info on additives... another lesson at the school of hard knocks... god i hoped i would have graduated from there by now, lol...

... the service manuals you got, how much you want for em? and they are repair manuals? not an owners manual?

oh and do you guys think i should put in some stop leak to hold me over till i can get to the dealership (if they will fix it...)

10. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

how bad is it leaking? i am not too familiar with leaking seals..that us something i would leave to professionals..atleast around the tranny and crankshaft..i would try to take it to a dealer asap if the leaking is bad

11. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

12. AdvanceREX

AdvanceREX Member

thanx for the stuff there genya... guess i wont try and tackle that one after all... guess i'll use the bars leak stop leak stuff i got at work and pray for the best...

it isn't leaking to bad, prolly less than half a quart a week or so... but that sucks bad when redline runs yeah 5 bucks a quart though, lol... and i aint got time to play graba$$ with the dealership over this today so i gues it will have to be monday when i get outa school before i see if i'm in luck or not... oh-vay....